Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Nachosgrande Winter Movie Marathons - 01/04/08 08:53 PM
With the weather a bit on the wintry side for many of us, I was lining up some good DVD trilogies to catch over the next few weekends.

LOTR (Extended Editions with Bonus Discs) - this one may take some time to digest - starting with this one tonight.
then:
Indiana Jones (with Bonus Disc)
Star Wars (Ep IV-VI with Bonus Disc)
Bourne Trilogy
X-Men
Austin Powers (for $h!ts and giggles)

These should give the ol' home theater a good workout..and tide me over till spring!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/04/08 11:16 PM
There have been 2 previous LOTR marathons in the past. I think that I was the first a few years ago, and someone did one a year ago. Search my posts and you will find what happened during mine...

All I can say is plan for breaks to get up and stretch... Plan for MANY breaks!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/05/08 07:04 PM
Here is the link to my story and experience with a LOTR movie marathon...

Nick's LOTR Extended Edition Marathon

And here is Zarak's story from his marathon...

Zarak's LOTR Marathon
Posted By: Zarak Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 05:46 AM
Yes, mine was about this time a year ago. I think it was actually the week between conference championships and the superbowl, so that football would not interfere. I'll have to go back and read the link you dug up to see what I wrote. It was certainly fun, and something that I would like to do again sometime. Although the next time I do it I will be watching them all on HDDVD or Blu Ray. I'm not planning on another marathon until after they come out in hi def.

I'd like to do a Matrix marathon at some point as well. I've seen the first movie a bunch of times, but only once each for 2 and 3.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 05:54 AM
So I just went back and read my original thread. It must be a case of you only remember the good parts, as I said I didn't think I would do it again in that thread, yet in the post just above this I was ready to do it again in HD. I was also apparently off by a week, as we did it the Saturday of conference championship weekend, so still had football to watch the next day.

BTW...anyone heard an update recently of when these movies will be released in HD?
Posted By: Nachosgrande Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 06:10 AM
I need to add Matrix and Alien (quadrilogy?) to this list...
and Godfather (although we can skip #3, right? \:\) )
Posted By: Ajax Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 02:45 PM
I don't think Godfather 3 was bad. It just wasn't nearly as good as Godfather 1, and Godfather 2 which, arguably, might be the best sequel ever made.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 04:28 PM
I think you could probably just skip the last two Alien movies, too.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 04:44 PM
You're not supposed to acknowledge their existence, Ken. Didn't you get the memo?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 04:46 PM
Technically, I'm not. There are (technically) 6 Alien movies.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 04:47 PM
Aliens 7: The Ewok Massacre.

I just might watch that.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 04:54 PM
As the plucky Ewoks swing down from trees and stab the aliens through the head with wooden spears...
Posted By: CV Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 04:55 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
You're not supposed to acknowledge their existence, Ken. Didn't you get the memo?

Ha ha. Ripley's Acknowledge It or Not!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 04:58 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
As the plucky Ewoks swing down from trees and stab the aliens through the head with wooden spears...

Hey, they helped destroy the Empire. Powerful little creatures, they are.
Posted By: CV Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 07:39 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Hey, they helped destroy the Empire. Powerful little creatures, they are.

Yeah, strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark. Just not tall enough.

Ha ha, I had to look up a physical description of gundarks just to see if any details ever came out about them. I guess they stand between 1 and 2.5 meters tall, so I suppose some ewoks could pull the ears off of some gundarks, based on height.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 09:00 PM
I had to look up "gundark," and I've reached a singular conclusion:

You're a bigger dork than me. ;\)

Truthfully, the name rang a bell. I read some Star Wars novels years ago, and maybe it was mentioned then. Details are foggy.
Posted By: CV Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 09:07 PM
I'm sure it must have been in a SW novel or two since there are actual details about it out there, but I remembered it from The Empire Strikes Back. After Luke is out of the bacta tank, Han says that he looks strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 09:13 PM
Oh.

You know, that's one of my favorite movies and I've seen it a hundred times, but I don't remember that line. I'll pay more attention next time I watch it.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 09:15 PM
TomTuttle will be by shortly to let ALL of you know that you are Geeks!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 09:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
TomTuttle will be by shortly to let ALL of you know that you are Geeks!

You're just jealous. ;\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 09:44 PM
Where is Tom? I haven't seen him for a bit.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 09:52 PM
Maybe he's on vacation. Or, maybe he finally got tired of us. . .
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 10:02 PM
In an attempt to get the train back on the tracks....... \:\)

I just did a mini marathon of my own - Band of Brothers. The last piece where they interview the survivors still causes me to tear up a bit.

Last year I did the first 9 years of Stargate SG-1, but it wasn't a "sit down and watch 'til it's done" thing. Took about 5-6 weeks. Each episode is about 43 minutes and without commercials, so it goes by pretty quick. Four episodes was a nice 3 hour evening. Likewise with Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

With the 6 month winters in Rochester and a wife who is a first grade teacher (and does school work most evenings), I had to find SOMETHING to do.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/06/08 10:08 PM
I've done the "Band of Brothers" marathon, but I usually stretch it out over a week. Like you, Ray, that last piece still gets me.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/07/08 01:13 AM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Like you, Ray, that last piece still gets me.

At the end of the series, when the real Lt. Winters relates the story of his grandson(?) asking him if he was a hero, I always lose it when he quotes his reply. He does too.

Did a B of B marathon to introduce my brother to the series. Like me, he absolutely loved it. As I've mentioned before, there is a successor series, The Pacific, in the works and due sometime in 2009 according to The Internet Movie Database. It follows the stories of pacific veterans Eugene Sledge, Robert Leckie, and "Manila" John Basilone.

Since my interest in the Pacific theater has always been stronger than my interest in the European theater, I'm really looking forward to this one.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/07/08 10:52 AM
Jack:
Sorry to be the one to "nudge the old folks back on topic", but the thread involved movies...not theaters....
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/07/08 02:59 PM
 Quote:
Last year I did the first 9 years of Stargate SG-1, but it wasn't a "sit down and watch 'til it's done" thing. Took about 5-6 weeks. Each episode is about 43 minutes and without commercials, so it goes by pretty quick. Four episodes was a nice 3 hour evening. Likewise with Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: The Next Generation.

We've been running a similar marthon this winter, watching the X-Files 9 seasons from start to finish. Probably going to take us closer to a couple of months to finish since I'm away most weekdays now. Since I had not watched any episodes since it left the air a number of years ago, I had forgotten what a well written show it was with all the continuous and intersecting story lines. Some great LOL moments too!
Posted By: Murph Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/07/08 03:13 PM
Been going through Battlestar Galactica, (modern version) Season one, on HD-DVD.

Love the show but don't spend any extra for the HD version. The picture quality just isn't worth it. I can't say that out loud at home though as it was a Christmas present from my wife. Still a great watch, just not doing HD any justice.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Winter Movie Marathons - 01/07/08 04:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Jack:
Sorry to be the one to "nudge the old folks back on topic", but the thread involved movies...not theaters....

;\)
© Axiom Message Boards