Axiom Home Page
Posted By: bridgman A new sensation - 01/10/08 03:10 AM
Scotch Bonnet Peppers. Fingers. Eyes. Pain.

Think I'll listen to music and keep my eyes shut for a while.
Posted By: Ajax Re: A new sensation - 01/10/08 06:44 AM
LOL! John, another hard lesson learned. \:D
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: A new sensation - 01/10/08 10:37 AM
I've grown them before and I know exactly what you went through. I'll never ever handle them again without wearing gloves. It was like having burning splints under my nails.

Since then I've switched to other varieties with less heat and more flavour.

Have a look at the Scoville Scale to see what heights you reached!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoville_scale

BTW if my memory serves me correctly I think milk is the best thing to treat it with.
Posted By: Murph Re: A new sensation - 01/10/08 12:51 PM
Ha Ha,
I laugh because I have often done the same and you did well to type out even that many words. I'm not familiar with Scotch Bonnet Peppers though. Damn it, now you have me curious and I just know I am going to end up the same way. It never fails, I make a mistake somewhere with hot peppers, even with gloves.

I could never work in a bio-research lab.
Posted By: RickF Re: A new sensation - 01/10/08 01:34 PM
From Wikipedia...

"......These peppers are used to flavour many different dishes and cuisines worldwide. Scotch Bonnet has a flavour distinct from its Habanero cousin. This gives Jerk dishes (pork/chicken) and other Caribbean dishes their unique flavour. Scotch Bonnets are especially used in Caymanian and Jamaican cooking, though they often show up in other Caribbean recipes. Eaten raw, these peppers are also known to cause dizziness, numbness of hands and cheeks, and severe heartburn."

I don't want those things anywhere around me!
Posted By: CV Re: A new sensation - 01/10/08 02:27 PM
At least now I know Caymanian is a word. Thanks, Rick!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A new sensation - 01/10/08 04:56 PM
Oh man... those things are deadly! (so I've heard)
Posted By: Wid Re: A new sensation - 01/10/08 10:02 PM

I eat plenty of hot peppers but I wouldn't touch those darn things. They would work for spicing up a dish but that's about it.
Posted By: PaulM Re: A new sensation - 01/11/08 11:37 PM
About 4 years there was this one evening about 30 min after my wife changed the diaper of our youngest daughter that she started to scream and move her butt around a lot. My wife peeled back the diaper and her skin was red and blistered right off. I was a real painful mess. It was at that moment my wife remembered she had peeled and used jalapeƱo's to prepare dinner.

My wife and daugher laugh about it now, but boy did we all feel bad about it then.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: A new sensation - 01/11/08 11:41 PM
Whoo.... that's a good one to remember.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: A new sensation - 01/12/08 12:48 AM
looks like it is right on par with the habanero pepper.

I love habanero salsa.
(in moderation of coarse)

My step dad on the other hand will eat a habanero paper raw.

By the way, if anyone has a buffalo wild wings near them (or if you see one when traveling) I encourage you to try the blazin' challenge ;\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlU6YGKxRF4&feature=related

You have to eat 12 blazin' wings in under 6 minutes with no water and no napkins
Posted By: DaveG Re: A new sensation - 01/12/08 12:43 PM

You have to eat 12 blazin' wings in under 6 minutes with no water and no napkins[/quote]

I'm a coward and have no desire to torture myself in this way.
Posted By: Murph Re: A new sensation - 01/14/08 03:55 PM
I LOVE spicy food but it must also have flavor that is at least equivalent to the burn.

The question I have is, why is that people who like spicy food tend to crave it? I will go into a restaurant with my mouth watering in anticipation of some dish then instantly get redirected by the first spicy dish I see on the menu.

Is it a endorphin release or something or is this just a mild form of drugs..... Actually, pain does trigger endorphins so this joke might be creditable.
Posted By: RickF Re: A new sensation - 01/14/08 04:15 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
By the way, if anyone has a buffalo wild wings near them (or if you see one when traveling) I encourage you to try the blazin' challenge ;\)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlU6YGKxRF4&feature=related

You have to eat 12 blazin' wings in under 6 minutes with no water and no napkins

These kids must be from up north some where, they have a funny accent. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards