Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi I am Legend - 03/19/08 04:37 AM
jsut got done watching "I Am Legend" on DVD. Pretty darn good movie, and it has really good sound! Def. a good workout for the ol' ep500 and some good surround effects as well.

I bet the bluray audio is even better...

I highly reccomend you check this movie out!
Posted By: Mojo Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 06:03 AM
I recommend you check out The Mist.

Also, I just watched Hitman. Lots of action...not memorable. But the sound is absolutely awesome. Some bass scenes in there shook the pines outside \:\) .
Posted By: terzaghi Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 12:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, added both to my netflix queue
Posted By: DaveG Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 12:28 PM
Watched "I Am Legend" last night also, Its a good remake of the "The Omega Man" from 1971.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 01:00 PM
hmmm- Guess I'm not old enough to realize that!
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 03:47 PM
I was reading a little about it last night, and apparently the novel, I Am Legend, was originally adapted to the screen as The Last Man On Earth in 1964, then as The Omega Man.
Posted By: arcticair Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 05:37 PM
I picked the the BluRay version yesterday and hopefully get around to watching it this weekend!

WillSmith! What a movie star this guy has become! Is there no end in sight for this guy? If this guy was up against H.clinton he would probably win!
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 06:11 PM
The Fresh Prince killed I, Robot.
Posted By: skyhawk669 Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 06:12 PM
Yeah... I wasn't thrilled by I, Robot... I'll definitely add I am Legend to my netflix queue though!
Posted By: vassillios Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 08:15 PM
The blu-ray version of I am Legend is supposed to be the tits!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 09:40 PM
 Originally Posted By: DG56
Watched "I Am Legend" last night also, Its a good remake of the "The Omega Man" from 1971.
Which was a remake of "the Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price.
Posted By: arcticair Re: I am Legend - 03/19/08 11:12 PM
I remember a similiar movies called "Quite Earth" and "Night of the comet"
Posted By: blackstar79 Re: I am Legend - 03/22/08 03:36 AM
Must say i was disappointed with I am Legend. Why is it that every time there's a virus or drug that affects a large amount of people in movies these days they turn into superhuman super strong building climbers? Thought the baddy's in Omega man were much better not superhuman. they actually behaved like something BAD happened to them.... don't even get me started on how zombies are portrayed these days. what ever happened to a brisk walk to get away from the zombies?!?!?...sorry I'm starting to rant...anyhoo...Descent sound in I am Legend \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/22/08 03:44 AM
It's like the loudness war. Once one movie had fast zombies, every other zombie movie had to raise the speed of theirs to compete.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: I am Legend - 03/22/08 03:46 AM
I've heard the acting was good, as expected by the star, but the writers really screwed it up.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: I am Legend - 03/22/08 03:56 AM
 Quote:
don't even get me started on how zombies are portrayed these days.

They have been getting a bit over stylized, but look what they've done to vampires, it started with the really scary guys like Max Schreck in Nosferatu, now they all look like Brad Pitt.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: I am Legend - 03/22/08 03:57 AM
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
I've heard the acting was good...

The dog was great!

I watched this just today, although, he (the dog) did make a bad decision (don't want to spoil it for anyone) at one point...

I am not big into the virus/end of mankind movies, but I did enjoy this one.
Posted By: Mojo Re: I am Legend - 03/22/08 04:15 AM
The Mist was much better.
Posted By: grunt Re: I am Legend - 03/22/08 07:17 AM
I would add to that the director and editors also screwed it up. I really like Will Smith who I think did a good job with what he had but even he couldn’t save this one for me. Seemed like they were just trying to make the movie do to much and just couldn’t keep it cohesive until the very end. There were a few nice audio tricks like the lion jumping over your shoulder to the front of the screen (made me look to the side) but these were few and far between. Overall I think it was worth seeing for curiosity sake but still have to chuck a Rotten Tomato at the screen.
Posted By: blackstar79 Re: I am Legend - 03/22/08 02:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
 Quote:
don't even get me started on how zombies are portrayed these days.

They have been getting a bit over stylized, but look what they've done to vampires, it started with the really scary guys like Max Schreck in Nosferatu, now they all look like Brad Pitt.

have you seen 30 days and 30 nights? Vamps in that one are bit more traditional to how they're intended to be but with a bigger CGI budget.... Speaking of CGI I am Legend had some of the worst CGI I've seen in a long time.
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/24/08 04:11 AM
I finally got around to watching I Am Legend on Blu-ray this weekend. I watched 2/3 of it yesterday, the last bit today. I didn't really care for the movie overall, but the audio was fun. I agree about the CGI leaving a lot to be desired.

Also watched Beowulf on HD DVD. I wasn't expecting a lot. My only expectation was that I wouldn't like the animation style, and I was right. There's some pretty incredible detail, but the humans still just look wrong, and the fabric wasn't doing so well, either.
Posted By: Mojo Re: I am Legend - 03/24/08 04:14 AM
Watch The Mist when it comes out on Tuesday. Far better than I am Legend IMO.
Posted By: DanielBMe Re: I am Legend - 03/24/08 12:46 PM
"Why is it that every time there's a virus or drug that affects a large amount of people in movies these days they turn into superhuman super strong building climbers?"

I agree totally. That's what ruined the movie for me.

I watched Rattatouile (I know I spelt that wrong) last night and that was a fantastic movie. The sound on it really gave my subs a workout, more so than I Am Legend.
Posted By: myrison Re: I am Legend - 03/25/08 01:15 AM
+1 on the comments on I Am Legend (or -1 really). I was very disappointed in the movie. Soundtrack was enjoyable in TrueHD, but nothing worth owning.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: I am Legend - 03/25/08 01:22 AM
you guys have no imagination! So who cares if the plot is kinda weak and the CGI is mediocre? The movie sounds incredible, and I thought it was pretty enjoyable.... :grim:

Oh well- I guess I will go rent mist tomorrow... I have it in my netflix queue but I have 2 movies at home and only have the 2 out at a time plan
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: I am Legend - 03/25/08 01:49 AM
:grim: indeed! \:\)
Posted By: terzaghi Re: I am Legend - 03/25/08 02:02 AM
HA! oops
Posted By: blackstar79 Re: I am Legend - 03/28/08 04:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: Mojo
Watch The Mist when it comes out on Tuesday. Far better than I am Legend IMO.

wasn't bad...likely one of the most depressing endings I've ever seen but the movie overall was good and the base towards the end i liked much.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: I am Legend - 03/28/08 06:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: DanielBMe
"Why is it that every time there's a virus or drug that affects a large amount of people in movies these days they turn into superhuman super strong building climbers?"

Becasue it's a horror/suspense/thriller movie.

It wouldn't be quite the same if your virus-stricken mutant alien zombies were just incredibly sick people that were weak and dying. Those alien mutant zombies with superhuman strength are integral to the plot of these types of films.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: I am Legend - 03/28/08 06:32 PM
Exactly, it's not much of a threat if you can out walk it. \:\)
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 03:45 AM
Just make the threat a little more creative.
Posted By: blackstar79 Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 03:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
Exactly, it's not much of a threat if you can out walk it. \:\)

Oh i disagree. the older Zombie movies when they just walked slowly were much "scarier". the idea that "hey i might get out of this alive" when you ran around quickly but still end up having a zombie sic it's teeth into you creates much more tension than "we're all dead cause the zombies are marathon runners with super human strength"
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 03:59 PM
I think you're right, blackstar. Although the zombies only shuffle around, they can do so indefinitely--walking is one of the most efficient forms of locomotion. While the rest of us run around like maniacs trying to get away, we are expending massive amounts of energy and will eventually need rest. Meanwhile, the zombies continue their inevitable progression towards us. Literally, they are walking us to death.
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:02 PM
The zombie tortoise and the hare.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:04 PM
Zombies always win.

Unless you decapitate one. That's why I always carry a shovel in my trunk.

You never know. . .
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:07 PM
Of course, if it's a zombie chicken, that won't necessarily stop it.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:09 PM
I also have a flamethrower. It's right next to my spare tire kit.
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:10 PM
Ha ha, KFC wishes they had you around for Halloween promotions.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:19 PM
I find the best way to deal with fast zombies is an explosive barrel and a gravity gun.
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:21 PM
Zombies usually avoid me because they don't want to contract whatever it is I have.
Posted By: CV Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:23 PM
(reginitis)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:23 PM
 Quote:
. . .an explosive barrel and a gravity gun.

I couldn't get a permit for those. \:\(
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 04:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
(reginitis)

I don't think zombies' health insurance covers that.
Posted By: bridgman Re: I am Legend - 03/29/08 05:00 PM
>>. . .an explosive barrel and a gravity gun.
>>I couldn't get a permit for those.

That's the problem with California. Now if you lived in Texas...
Posted By: myrison Re: I am Legend - 03/30/08 03:39 PM
Exactly, I have 2 of both. They sell them at Wal-Mart here in Austin.
Posted By: Murph Re: I am Legend - 03/31/08 01:48 PM
We once built a tripod mounted potato canon that ran from Oxygen and Acetaline. Once we got the mixture right and cut some exhaust holes in the barrel so the potato didn't just disintegrate, I'm pretty sure no zombie would survive it.

Pretty much unlimited ammo here in PEI.
Posted By: medic8r Re: I am Legend - 04/21/08 07:33 PM
I watched I am Legend on Blu-ray a few nights ago and haven't sent it back yet because I keep meaning to watch the alternate ending. Which one did you guys like best? I guess it might be tough to say much with out spoiling it for others, though.

I'm hoping I can just skip to the next-to-last chapter or two and pick it up from there for the alternate ending.
Posted By: Mojo Re: I am Legend - 04/21/08 09:30 PM
What was the alternate ending?

Did you watch The Mist yet? There's some good material in there that you can take to work with you \:\) .
Posted By: bugbitten Re: I am Legend - 04/21/08 11:20 PM
WARNING!

Don't read any further if you don't wish to know the alternate ending

The zombies have the ability to reason. Will has the leader's girlfriend in the lab. He lets her go. The zombie leader doesn't kill Will. Will and friends drive to the compound.
Posted By: thefwam Re: I am Legend - 04/21/08 11:25 PM
You can definitely just skip to the last or next to last chapter. you won't miss anything in the general movie. I thought that it ended it a little better, although at the same time I can kind of understand why they ultimately went with the theatrical one. That said, watch the alternate ending. it made me happier about watching the movie.
Posted By: Murph Re: I am Legend - 04/28/08 07:14 PM
I wonder if the CGI guys considered a joke ending where the zombies all come out, they surround Will in a moment of supreme tension and then start to dance to Thriller.

Probably considered but declined because they would have to support MJ by giving him royalties.
© Axiom Message Boards