Axiom Home Page
Posted By: EFalardeau Silly scare! - 03/30/08 08:22 PM
Pfff. I started to listen to some solo cello and on many occasion a very noticeable "broken driver vibration" was heard. NOOO! After replaying the passages that seemed the worse, it was definitely coming from my right M80. NOOO! Played with grills. Checked furniture. Nothing doing.

Then I had the brillant idea of putting myself between the speaker and the wall. Pffff. It is the window near the speaker that vibrates at lower volume than it used to. I guess two months of A1400 treatment is starting to have some side effects! \:\) I looked the window better into position and it is now back to a barely noticeable glitch on very, very rare occasion!

At least my drivers are OK, but I guess I'll have to do something about that window if it deteriorates some more!

Going back to music now (neighbors are gone for the PM!).
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Silly scare! - 03/30/08 08:29 PM
So, you broke your home with your stereo? ;\)

Scary good.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Silly scare! - 03/30/08 09:08 PM
As long as you don't break your hearing.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Silly scare! - 03/30/08 09:25 PM
Apparently windows need "break in" periods! \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: Silly scare! - 03/30/08 09:30 PM
\:D
Posted By: mapatton Re: Silly scare! - 03/31/08 12:04 AM
LOL

time to upgrade the windows

\:\)
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Silly scare! - 03/31/08 01:55 AM
This is a clear case of needing Monster Replacement Windows. $11,000 each.
Posted By: DaveG Re: Silly scare! - 03/31/08 11:33 AM
Better the window than the speaker.
Posted By: Murph Re: Silly scare! - 03/31/08 01:44 PM
Mojo's windows are only played at 1/2 watt nominal.
Posted By: vassillios Re: Silly scare! - 03/31/08 02:44 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
So, you broke your home with your stereo?

I wish I could do that.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Silly scare! - 03/31/08 03:15 PM
If I had windows, that's how loud they would play \:\) . I took all the windows out so that they don't interfere with my listening. And all the drywall is 5/8" in 12' long sheets, glued and screwed.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Silly scare! - 06/29/08 05:08 PM
Window vibration problem is over. It took way too much time (laziness), but some time ago I had "improved" the problem a bit by simply using packing tape to "stabalize" the small window square that caused the most problems. I had also identified the problematic frequency (140hz) using the "bass traps tracks".

It is only today that I finally got off my butt to play a looped version of the offending track while I poke at the window and used some more tapes. GONE! No more vibration causing cellos to something sound as if played from within a tin can.

Back to music as my neighboors are gone for 4 days!!!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Silly scare! - 06/29/08 05:52 PM
Crank it up!
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Silly scare! - 06/30/08 01:26 PM
My SVS has actually broken my house too. Two windows, anyway.

I live in an old house with old windows; double-hung with weights in the walls connected with ropes. My SVS has caused two of these ropes to snap. The windows are still usable, so that's a good thing. But I still find it amusing that my system has, literally, broken my house.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Silly scare! - 06/30/08 01:59 PM
I guess we'll have to start asking for HT-complience certifications from realsters! \:\)
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Silly scare! - 11/15/08 06:18 PM
Well! Apparently, I have to deal with my windows differently for summer and winter. The window problem has reappeared. After a few unsuccesful attempt, it turns out that, for "winter" I have to lock back the window.

So I guess when we change time, it will also be time to unlock the windows for summer!
Posted By: Murph Re: Silly scare! - 11/17/08 06:57 PM
Just change the switch on your window so it vibrates 'in phase.'

OK Sorry, I need either sleep or coffee.
© Axiom Message Boards