Axiom Home Page
Posted By: medic8r Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 04:54 PM
In the thread for Tuttlefest 2008, Peter and I compared and contrasted (geez, sounds like a college assignment) where we'd lived and visited. He had the brilliant idea to color in the states on a map, as so:

Where red = lived, blue = visited, gray = neither.

Cool! Now here's mine, although as a non-conformist, I found my own map and tweaked the color scheme:

How 'bout it, Axiomites? Anybody else up for doing a map-o-gram?

If you like, to get you started, here's the Map-maker utility web site that I used to do my map. You just designate what states go in what group and bam, they give you a picture. My main beef is that gray is not a color option - the form limits you to 8 options, mostly primary colors.

But I digress. If you want to use any color you wish, here is a crisp, big U.S. map with borders that seem suitable for filling in with Paint:

So that our Canadian friends get to play too, here's the Great White North, eh?!
Happy mapmaking!
Thanks for the link, JP. That's cool.

I was going to post mine, but now I'm too embarrassed. I will offer that none of us so far seem to find the Dakotas or Arkansas very compelling. And we're all staying away from Mark S Johnson.
His room's reputation precedes him!
Posted By: SRoode Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 05:40 PM
Here's mine:

Impressive! 35 states.

Again, no one is touching the Dakotas, Arkansas, or Mark's house. This is an exciting trend.

I like your use of no color (white) for the nada states. I shoulda done that.
Hey! HE'S the one with the man-boobs!!!
Posted By: RickF Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 06:50 PM
Here's mine, the Dakotas and Arkansas included!

Haven't strayed too far from home yet...

Posted By: RickF Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 06:53 PM
I knew it was going to happen .... I forgot to add New York to the visited list!
Great ones, Rick and terzaghi!

Keep 'em coming!
Mine is just sad....

Posted By: Mojo Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 07:12 PM

Mine...

This is cool! I feel like I know you guys better already.

Your permanent files are starting to thicken...
Posted By: Mojo Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 07:18 PM
Rick, there's almost nothing left to exterminate \:\) .
Posted By: JaredM Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 07:20 PM
Ohh fun! 6 to go it seems! When I was 12 my family moved from PA to WA, and in doing so rented an RV and zig-zagged across the US and parts of Canada for 6 weeks. Had the travel bug ever since ;\) Add that to my 5 years in New England going to school, and my 16 years on the west coast, and I'd say I'm pretty well covered, except for the deep south. Still need to get down there.

Well, maybe this pitiful display will make my friend Mark feel better.

Not too exciting for me, but unlike Mojo, at least I live somewhere.. LOL

I thought that I would add places that I would like to visit with my family in the next 5 years...

Heres mine
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 09:09 PM
Hunh. I had you pegged as a Boston resident.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 09:11 PM
Hi Snake,

I grew up in Poughkeepsie. Nice to see another Hudson Valleyite!
My mom was from Ossining....Dad from White Plains. Still have lots of family in the Poughkeepsie area!
Posted By: grunt Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 10:52 PM

I have also lived in: Okinawa, The Philippines, Ghana, New Zealand, Sierra Leone, Guam, Turkey.

I have visited: British Columbia, Ontario, Mexico, Japan, South Korea, Singapore, Australia, Hong Kong, Tinian, England, France, Spain, Benin, Burkina Faso, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Nigeria, Togo.
Only a few left to go, but none are high on my bucket list...

Lived in Calif. all my years.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 11:00 PM
Well, here's mine:

Many of them are from a driving trip my family took to the Boundary Waters when I was 10 or 12.
I guess I'll play...I didn't bother with states I've only passed through or stopped on a flight stop-over.

I'll play. I've got the west coast pretty much covered. Need to explore the east coast eventually.

Posted By: Wid Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 11:16 PM

I also lived in Puerto Rico, Spain and Diego Garcia which is a island in the southern hemisphere directly below India (by 2K mi.)
Posted By: SRoode Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 11:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
My mom was from Ossining....Dad from White Plains. Still have lots of family in the Poughkeepsie area!

Ahh Westchester... Rye Playland and the Dragon Coaster.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 11:32 PM
Also have been to:

Canada (Toronto, the falls on the Canadian side, and Mt. Tremblant)
Mexico (Cancun)
The Bahamas (Nassau)
Jamaica (Montego Bay and Negril)
Japan (Tokyo)
Taiwan (all over... My wife is from Taipei)
Ireland (Shannon, Cork, Kinsale)
Don't get JP started, or next he'll find a world map. ;\)
Posted By: fredk Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/01/08 11:51 PM
I've been everywhere man,
I've been everyehere...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/02/08 03:31 AM
All I have to say is this thread is wicked pissah.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/02/08 06:00 AM
Here's Mine \:\)

Posted By: fredk Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/02/08 07:47 AM
I been...

...and
Norway, Sweeden, Denmark, Germany, England, Belgium, France, Italy, The Netherlands, Australia
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/02/08 08:17 AM

No wanderlust here.

Place I've lived
Places I've visited

Bren R.
Posted By: fredk Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/02/08 09:01 AM
I lust to wander more.
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Well I don't no how you came up with that as my avatar has been either Mets or Giants every since you have known me. Oh and the other thing is MY LOCATION SAYS NEWBURGH, NY. lol J/K
Jake, I think Ken was trying to be clever or something.

Looks like Bren got North Dakota covered for us. Whew!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/02/08 05:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Looks like Bren got North Dakota covered for us. Whew!
And after the Pembina border crossing that the van I was in got searched those 16 years ago, I haven't been back since. I thought I would finally have a reason now that I'm shooting a lot more, making trips to East Grand Forks to Cabela's but with the new export laws for ammunition (which read "verboten") - I don't have much reason to shop across the 49th.

The one place I do really want to visit is Turkey... have a friend there that keeps sending pics... "here's a picture from my apartment window" "Is that the Great Wall of Constantinople?" "Yes" "Huh... here's a picture from my back yard... those are, uh... geese... in a field. Their history is slightly less detailed... plus they poop a lot"

Bren R.
Posted By: RickF Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/02/08 09:54 PM
Bren, if you do make the trip to East Grand Forks you can then add Minnesota to your list of visited places. ;\)

A few years ago I spent some time in Grand Forks, and in a little town just to the north and west of there is where my one and only sure enough pilot error induced airplane wreck occurred ... leaving me a little bruised and battered and the airplane a total loss. I haven't been back to that place since.

Make that trip to Turkey, you'll like it. I visited Istanbul whenever I was stationed in the next door country of Greece, I really do like that part of the world and plan on making a trip back one day hopefully prior to my departure from this earth.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/02/08 10:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Bren, if you do make the trip to East Grand Forks you can then add Minnesota to your list of visited places. ;\)
Funny you should mention - I was just informed within the past year that E.G.F. is in MN. To quote Johnny Carson - I did not know that.

Quote:
Make that trip to Turkey, you'll like it. I visited Istanbul whenever I was stationed in the next door country of Greece, I really do like that part of the world and plan on making a trip back one day hopefully prior to my departure from this earth.
Like I say, I'll have a guide (cute one, too!)... and for the most part, I'm kind of blase on touristy crap. Some people just go places to go there and to see them, I just don't enjoy travelling by any means enough to want to see most places unless there's a real hook for me.... all the architecture, history and being able to hop back and forth between Asia and Europe is enough I think.

Just have to quit smoking now, so I can make the flight. 90 minutes in a plane, 120 minutes in a car is about my limit before I start getting extremely antsy.

Bren R.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/03/08 02:22 AM
 Originally Posted By: snakeyes
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Well I don't no how you came up with that as my avatar has been either Mets or Giants every since you have known me. Oh and the other thing is MY LOCATION SAYS NEWBURGH, NY. lol J/K

Hey, Ive been there! I stayed with a friend who lived in Clintondale at the time for about a month. Nice area! Was hotter than hell though! Of course... 90 is about enough to cause heat strokes around here \:\)
Posted By: JohnK Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/03/08 06:03 AM
Well, I'm far too lazy to consider constructing a map, but the lack of affection shown for Mark Johnson's beloved state inspires me to point out that of the roughly 30 states, 9 provinces and 40 countries that I've visited, southern New Hampshire with a stay in Portsmouth was certainly a highlight. This was as part of a New England tour years ago and long before I became aware of the room that sucks, so that was a highlight that was passed up.
Thanks, John. I'm feelin' the love...... I think.....
Posted By: ihifi Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/03/08 01:09 PM
Bren R., I was born in Turkey and came to the States at age 14. I go back there every summer to visit my father and enjoy the Mediterranean. The southwest coast is especially breathtaking for its torquise blue costline full of ruins (amphitheaters, castles, aquaducts, temples, churches), great food, and friendliest people you'd find anywhere. The flight from NY to Istanbul is 9 hours going and 11 hours return, so you'd better apply some nicotine patches before getting onboard. Best time to go is either in June or in September, when tourists are less and weather is not too hot. I would bet that if you go there once, you will surely want to come back again.

Now, I live in CT, close to Mark, and if anyone wants to drop by, you'd be most welcome.

John

Posted By: fredk Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/03/08 01:43 PM
 Quote:
and friendliest people you'd find anywhere.

Something I have heard from many sources. Istanbul is on my top 5 list of places to visit before I die. Sooo much human history has taken place in this area.
Cool, more maps. Now I, too, have the urge to travel more.

Although I don't think I could make it through a trip to Istanbul without singing that They Might Be Giants song, and then I'd have to slap myself for being too obvious.
JP, you really have to learn to delegate.

If you asked nicely, I'm sure a line of people willing to slap you would form down the street and around the block.
Posted By: fredk Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/03/08 09:38 PM
Actually, he can deligate his trip to Turkey (along with the tickets etc.) to me, thus avoiding the need for a slap entirely.

Posted By: BrenR Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/04/08 05:37 AM
 Originally Posted By: ihifi
Bren R., I was born in Turkey and came to the States at age 14. I go back there every summer to visit my father and enjoy the Mediterranean.
Again, more fuel for wanting to take a trip there... ah, well... once everything is paid off...

... sometimes I'm just too responsible.

Bren R.
Here is mine. I have been fortunate in I have at least visited 48 of the States. (I view as temp lived as more than 3 mos but less than a year). Also been to many of the Provinces.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/05/08 02:01 PM
 Quote:
The flight from NY to Istanbul is 9 hours going and 11 hours return, so you'd better apply some nicotine patches before getting onboard.

Just be sure to leave a few square inches of skin exposed, preferably around the orifices.
Posted By: Murph Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/12/08 04:50 PM
Man I Suck. I've only ever been to one place!

Posted By: CV Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/12/08 05:38 PM
Well, all of those other planets are just covered with snow, anyway.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Where you been?! Show us your map-o-gram! - 05/12/08 05:43 PM
Pixellated snow!
© Axiom Message Boards