Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 03:23 AM
If you see somebody on the news for killing a really loud yippy dog that never shuts up then it is probably me.

The owner's never let it in or even try and find out why it is barking in the middle of the friggin night.

I really don;t want to start a war with my neighbor since I do play my music SLIGHTLY loud at times with the back door open...

Anyway... does anyone here no how to remove the voice box out of a dog without killing it?
Posted By: duckman Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 03:38 AM
Reccomendations for a compact pistol Just kidding, of course. Reminds me of the Sienfeld episode where they kidnapped the dog and left it in the country.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 03:47 AM
I got nothing, man. I got lucky when my neighbors got rid of their yippy dog. Good luck.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 04:37 AM
We had people that lived in the house behind us that had 2 yippy dogs. All night, yip yip yip... Those dogs were outside pretty much 24/7 and I am not sure if they wanted food, water, or what.. After 2 years, they moved...

Now our neighbors right next to us let their 2 big dogs outside around 5:45AM and they both BARK (not yip) non-stop for 10 minutes. Annoying as heck! It wouldn't bother me as much if it was 8AM or something when I am up and gone to work, but 5:45AM when they are a retired couple that don't need to be up so early. I have yet to find a solution.

I did hear of someone putting an "anonymous" letter in someone's mailbox with a complaint letter that was nice, but firm, about the problem and stating that if things didn't improve that the police would be called for disturbing the peace or something like that. It was written as though it was from more than one person, although it never said it directly. Wording like "the noise can be heard throughout the neighborhood and is disturbing many families and households." This guy didn't ask anyone else if they were bothered, but made the assumption that they were so worded it so that the recipient would make the assumption that it WAS from multiple people. It had more pull that way.

That is a little more "passive" than a compact pistol or bowl of antifreeze, but should help out. Even if it doesn't fix the problem, you can use the fact that you gave him a letter as the basis for starting the noise complaint route.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 05:03 AM
I hate yippy little dogs just as much as the next person, but you should really direct all your anger at the owner. He never took the time to teach the dog how to behave properly.
Posted By: CV Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 05:17 AM
Dog whisper that bitch!
Posted By: DaveG Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 11:18 AM
I can understand your frustration with the neighbors. We have neighbors who 5 or 6 schnauzers, that yip and yap constantly throughout the day, makes me glad to be at work. I've considered giving them special doggy treats but I haven't figured out how to get the neighbors to eat them.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 12:48 PM
A real easy fix is to call the cops or sherif, in most cases they will not know which neighbor called. Most cities have a law on noise problems like this...
Posted By: Murph Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 12:58 PM
I love dogs. All dogs really but I still place dogs into three categories. It more or less refers to their size but basically you have Yappers, barkers and woofers. I prefer the woofers, then barkers but I can still come to make friends with a yapper if he has been trained not to do it too often.

I agree with Pmbuko, all breeds have their own natural tendencies but in the end, the owner is responsible for their behavior.

On the darker side, is the dog still out there? Just a couple of weeks ago there was a tragic death of a lady in her home. Sad part was she was sitting in her window for days and no one noticed that she hadn't moved or payed attention to the dog barking to be let out. Finally someone figured out she had been in the window too long (or finally decided to care as this person had 'social issues') but by then it had been several days and the poor dog was not in good shape.

Not an urban legend, I know her childrens' adopted parents. The good news is that they have now also adopted the dog whom the children had always missed.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 01:00 PM
Unfortunately my city requires that you sign the back of a report and be willing to be seen in front of the neighbor if they ask in order to file a noise copmplaint. Also, if the neighbor contests the complaint then you are required to show up in court...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 07:21 PM
I've had to have the cops come out and take a dog away because the owners were mistreating it. Poor thing was chained in the backyard day and night, and was starving to death. Never shut up, and rightfully so. The cops came and took it, and mysteriously that house has never gotten a replacement.
 Originally Posted By: sirquack
A real easy fix is to call the cops or sherif, in most cases they will not know which neighbor called. Most cities have a law on noise problems like this...

Bingo. Doing harm to the dog(s) is not only a mean thing to do, it is a very likely way of getting yourself in real legal trouble.

It's always best to just be neighborly and just ask them nicely to please quiet their dogs. If that fails, call the police or the sheriff if you're not in a town. Not 911, but whatever the local non-emergency number is. In my neck of the woods, they will warn the offending party once or twice and then they'll start writing tickets.

Edit: I just saw your post that your city requires a bit more intervention from you. That's unfortunate, but understandable. I'd just start by trying to talk to the neighbor, if you can.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/21/08 09:30 PM
Yah, I'm not really going to harm the poor little guy... Hmmm maybe I should squirt him with a hose in the middle of the night...!
Posted By: Murph Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/22/08 12:22 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Yah, I'm not really going to harm the poor little guy... Hmmm maybe I should squirt him with a hose in the middle of the night...!

If you did that to my dog, it would make you his friend. He loves getting sprayed with the hose.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/22/08 04:08 PM
Print this out and leave it at the neighbors as a hint. Petsafe
My wifes Pomeranian just in the last year has developed the nasty habit of non stop barking when let outside, we bought this and it works like a charm. The only time the dog will even yelp now is when there is a true threat such as a raccon, skunk or other wild animals venturing into the yard.
Posted By: gem41573 Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/25/08 01:04 AM
Glad I'm not the only one going through this. It's not absolutely terrible, but my neighbors have a dog that does not stop barking and howling when it is outside, which can be for hours at a time. We just bought the house this year, so I didn't want to make waves right away, so my wife and I have tolerated the annoyance. It generally doesn't start too early, or go terribly late, but if you're trying to take a nap at 3:00 and that dog is yapping, it's very annoying.

Anyway, I actually had to talk to my seller recently, and the dog came up, and it turns out that they went in front of the town court with these neighbors over this dog. They ended up in mediation. The bottom line is, my town has a specific ordinance on dogs. It reads as follows:

"No person who owns, keeps or harbors any dog shall let that dog bark, howl or cry habitually in such a way as to create a nuisance."

My wife went to the police station to get a copy of the ordinance, and they knew about our neighbors and their stupid dog. The police said we could try approaching our neighbors first, but that we should call the police if the dog continues to be a problem.

So you might want to check with your police about your town's laws, and don't hesitate to call the police on people who make their dogs your problem.
Posted By: myrison Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/25/08 05:35 AM
Do you have a neighborhood association that enforces behavior in the neighborhood? They're very common in TX... generally I believe they exist to make my life hell (right now they're righting with me on where I've chosen to put my DirecTV dish on my house), but when you have problems with your neighbors, they are another outlet for an anonymous complaint that will actually be followed up on.

Incidentally, we have this problem as well right now but it only happens once every 2-3 weeks or so, so I've yet to call it in. Every time it happens I say I'm going to, and then I decide the potential hassle wouldn't be worth it. I did call the police the first time in the middle of the night after 3 hours straight of barking, but the police said they couldn't do anything b/c the neighbor wasn't home to talk to (weak police work!).

In any case, other ideas I've considered, some nicer than others...

1) Throw food/raw meat over the fence -> this has been proven to work, though not for long. When the food is gone - barking resumes.

2) Open the gate to the back yard where the dogs are staying, hope they run away and never return... This one I haven't done as I have a dog myself and find it overly cruel. However, I've considered it more than once in the middle of the night when about to go crazy.
Posted By: michael_d Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/25/08 12:09 PM
Don't do anything to the dog, it’s not the dog’s fault he’s been trained to bark by inconsiderate jackasses. Beat the crap out of the neighbor, it works great. You only have to do it once and word gets out and the entire neighborhood is miraculously rid of barking dogs. I’ve also found that when the neighbor’s dog craps on my lawn, and that pile ends up on the neighbor’s porch and they know exactly how it got there, the dog stops crapping on my lawn.
Posted By: RickF Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/25/08 01:05 PM

I can visualize Mike doing just that. \:D
Posted By: a401classic Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/25/08 01:23 PM
 Originally Posted By: mdrew
... Beat the crap out of the neighbor, it works great. .

Just make sure he swings first so you can claim self defense.

Really, though, we went thru this a number of years ago and even signed complaints with the Sheriff's office did no good. We finally got one of these and all was good.

Scott
Posted By: SRoode Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/25/08 04:21 PM
Have you tried speaking with the owner? Just knock on the door and let them know what's going on. You may be surprised at the results.
Posted By: fredk Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/25/08 09:08 PM
I think you hit on a very good solution there Scott. Looks like its small enough to be discretely placed. No confrontation required.
Posted By: a401classic Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/25/08 11:46 PM
We were able to tuck ours under the eaves pointing at the neighbors yard and unless you knew what you were looking at, you wouldn't know it was there. One bark here and one bark there was the result - as opposed to hours of non-stop barking.

We tried talking to the neighbors, several times, first. A reasonable person would have been sympathetic and done something (anything) to resolve the issue. Turns out our neighbors were just as psycho as their dog and seemed to encourage it there after. That's when we started filing formal, signed complaints. That was even less effective. So a vet friend recommended the UKS and it all but eliminated the problem. If only they had something that worked as well on inconsiderate neighbors...

Hope your neighbors are more human than our turned out to be.

Scott
Posted By: pmbuko Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/26/08 01:46 AM
 Quote:
We finally got one of these and all was good.

They also market that speaker as a super-tweeter. It does wonders for your system's soundstage.
Posted By: medic8r Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/27/08 03:07 PM
But only if you connect it with Pear Cables.
Posted By: Hutzal Re: i am going to kill my neighbors dog - 05/27/08 04:24 PM
Think you could wire that in parallel with a 2nd one for a centre channel? (with pear cables of course)
© Axiom Message Boards