Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Jared555 Component finish - 06/27/08 10:15 PM
What type(s) of finish do you prefer for your speakers/AV cabinets, also do you prefer black or silver on amps, receivers, etc.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Component finish - 06/27/08 10:20 PM
Basic black for components.

I went through the "silver electronics" phase once in the 80s already.

Bren R.
Posted By: RickF Re: Component finish - 06/27/08 10:48 PM
Once you go black, you'll never go back ... so I've been told.

Black here, 'cept what little silver there is on the Rotel amp and the H/K AVR635.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Component finish - 06/27/08 11:09 PM
Black. Unless it's a real brushed aluminum, which most aren't these days.
Posted By: Jared555 Re: Component finish - 06/28/08 12:20 AM
I also mentioned speakers, etc. (Unless you meant black there too)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Component finish - 06/28/08 12:27 AM
Oh, a woodgrain of some sort. I have 3 different ones!

Vermont Maple on my towers (M80s, M50s) and center (VP100), Mansfield Beech on my surrounds (QS4s), and HG Burled Walnut on my Audiobytes.
Posted By: fredk Re: Component finish - 06/28/08 01:31 AM
Black seems to be the theme in my cave (including the couch). I can even buy black leather curtains.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Component finish - 06/28/08 04:57 AM
I liked the Mansfield Beech for all my Axioms.

My Edirol nearfield monitors at work look kind of like Axiom's Cinnamon Beech.

And my in-garage speakers at home are in carpeted boxes.

Bren R.
Posted By: duckman Re: Component finish - 06/29/08 09:58 PM
Brown oak cabinatry, rough cedar walls and ceiling, boston cherry axioms, black textured nht super one xu's, black components, charcoal vintage carver amps and pre, and a black leather lazy-boy. I think I may need some coler.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Component finish - 06/29/08 10:14 PM
I like things that are not attracting attention to themselves (but I like them being visible when you are actually looking at them) so I prefer black for equipment. For speakers, I like a wood-like finish, but with black grills covering most of them (for that, Axiom's Boston Cherry finish is perfect for my taste).

ADDENDUM: I would not mind hiding all the electronics if I they all had some XML-based, bi-directional interface I could access with a small PDA for configuration and control.
Posted By: SRoode Re: Component finish - 06/29/08 11:04 PM
My preferred finish is whatever Ian would like to throw my way...
Posted By: CV Re: Component finish - 06/29/08 11:28 PM
I'm undecided on speaker finish preferences. I went with Boston Cherry because real wood was more than I wanted to pay for. As for why I chose Boston Cherry over the other vinyl choices, I don't really know.

I've been going with black for my components just because I don't really want to draw attention to them. When I move my system into the basement, I'll probably hide them completely during movies. I have a ledge running the perimeter of most of the basement. It's a convenient place to put my electronics, and I'll probably have a curtain I can pull in front of it, if I don't go further with sliding doors or something. Depending on the color scheme that's chosen for the basement, I may decide to trade up to a different finish for my speakers. I'll probably go the cheaper route and match the color scheme to my existing system, however.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Component finish - 06/30/08 04:31 AM
You can be like me and go for variety. I have boston cherry M22s and a VP100, maple QS8s, and a black EP-500.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Component finish - 06/30/08 10:09 AM
I still prefer the brushed aluminum look for components, must be my age. Having said that everything I have is black.

For speakers I am slowly switching over to a Cherry/Chestnut/Semi-Gloss Finish. I've currently got the M3s ( 2channel/tube setup) the VP150 and EP350 in wood.

As for my existing cherry/vinyl M60/VP150/QS8/EP350 setup, if they were being placed on a yacht, they would be described as "for sail". Lets hope I haven't sailed beyond the forum rules with that one.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Component finish - 06/30/08 06:18 PM
I am in the minority here, but I like the look of silver components. I like the look of my Music Hall Maverick player and my Belden surge protector. I have a black Denon amp but would love to add a silver Cary SLI-80 (I will admit that I would take the Cary in any color offered). I am not too particular about the speakers as I have a mixture of Boston Cherry and maple speakers.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Component finish - 06/30/08 10:54 PM
Black is out, passé.
Metals and woods are back in.

As long as they all match my shoes...
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Re: Component finish - 07/01/08 02:11 PM
Component colors don't matter to me. There all tucked away in the next room, out of sight.

I run a set of Boston Cherry fronts with the Maple surrounds that I retro-fitted with some white speaker grills. I like how the rears blend into the off-white walls better this way.
© Axiom Message Boards