Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 04:00 PM
I wanted to wish everyone Happy 4th of July, we are heading for the coast via the wineries in Paso tomorrow, will spend the 4th-6th at my wife's brothers house in Cayucos near Morro Bay for his annual 4th of July bash.
I've stayed away from the booze since my birthday, so it's about time to get back on that horse \:\)
Everyone be safe and enjoy the Holiday!
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 04:58 PM
I am in Breckenridge, Colorado on vacation, and up here in the mountains, things are so dry that there is a good chance that they won't be able to shoot fireworks, which to me is a great ending to a great day of celebration. The good thing is that there are all sorts of things going on during the day right here, so my family and I will have plenty of stuff to do.
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I am in Breckenridge, Colorado on vacation, and up here in the mountains, things are so dry that there is a good chance that they won't be able to shoot fireworks, which to me is a great ending to a great day of celebration. The good thing is that there are all sorts of things going on during the day right here, so my family and I will have plenty of stuff to do.

Hey Nick! I hope you're having a great time in Breckenridge! Enjoy that mountain air!

They may still shoot them off over Lake Dillon.

The last time we were in Colorado was over the 4th, a couple of years ago. It was extremely dry. Lots of red flag warnings, no campfires allowed anywhere, many displays canceled, etc. But they were allowed to shoot them off over Lake Dillon. Check it out. It was a pretty good display. Just arrive early, it was nearly impossible to find a parking spot. We parked over by Frisco.

Personally, I'll be packing up the car. My wife and I are heading up to a beach house on Lake Michigan for a week of R&R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 05:04 PM
Hiding in my house while the most illegal fireworks ever are shot off and the cops do nothing.

I swear, last year people had full on sky bursters, as in the ones you use when you're doing a pro show.
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Hiding in my house while the most illegal fireworks ever are shot off and the cops do nothing.

I swear, last year people had full on sky bursters, as in the ones you use when you're doing a pro show.

Heh heh heh. Yeah, I used to do those. Fireworks are illegal here in Illinois, but they're not in Missouri. \:\/ I remember being a kid and my Dad and I would always take a drive to Missouri this time of year. We'd fill the whole trunk with goodies. We used to go to these big family parties (out in the country, on their private property) where he and I would basically be the pyrotechnic crew. We put on some good displays. Ahh memories. \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 05:12 PM
Yeah, but I bet you didn't have the 3 inch mortars, etc.
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Yeah, but I bet you didn't have the 3 inch mortars, etc.

Like 3 inches in diameter? Wow. Uh, no, nothing quite that big! \:o

Everything we bought (as far as I know!) was legal for regular people to buy. None of it was the 'professional grade' stuff, except for some 'real' M-80's that my father once somehow acquired.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 05:20 PM
That's what I'm saying, people were apparently buying professional grade stuff. There was a bust last year, but somehow I suspect they'll get more this year.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 05:30 PM
Sweet! I need to get some of those...

Anyway- I will be going out to my grandparents cabin. Lots people comming out so the cabin will be full... going to set up my tent.
Posted By: RickF Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 05:36 PM
Right back at you there Michael, hope you have a great time and drink plenty of the good stuff!

The fishing has been slow near shore so I was hoping for a 50 or 60 mile trip offshore to the east side of the gulf stream (what we call the backside) where the fishing is supposed to be much better, but the weather has been very stormy and it's been hitting early these past couple of weeks and I don't feel like tangling with one of those critters in my boat ... so, I don't know what's on the agenda for the weekend.

Hope all of you Muppets have a great 4th of July!
Posted By: CV Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 06:09 PM
Well, it's Claire's boyfriend's birthday on the 4th, so maybe I'll give him a present.
You can give him some very powerful firecrackers... the type that comes with a remote detonator...
Posted By: medic8r Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 06:13 PM
I plan on kicking back on my patio with a Zima or a Guinness, watching birds, deer, and cloud formations ...
Posted By: dllewel Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 06:50 PM
Every 4th we go over to the in-laws where my father-in-law makes some good barbecue ribs, beef brisket, and chicken. It's always quite a feast. Then we take all the families over to a local park that does a fireworks show. Other than that, I'm home working on the house. I'll be ripping out our laminate kitchen counter tops in prep for new ones installed on Monday.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 07:34 PM
I'll be watching the news to see if anyone is killed/maimed by fireworks in East Oakland, CA....
I'll be at work. Doesn't matter much anyway when the sun sets at 11:30 and pops back up around 2:30. We have our fireworks on new years when there’s snow on the ground and it’s usually cold enough to vaporize coffee. I sure do miss those good old community 4th of July celebrations down south though. I have many fond memories of picnics, blankets on the grass and watching the fireworks…..
Posted By: Wid Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 09:39 PM

The wife and I are headed to the brother in laws about 4 hours south of here. I have no idea what we're going to be doing other than some bass fishing.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/02/08 11:43 PM
Cook up some steak on the grill, drink a few steel reserves, and watch the fireworks. Following, if clear skies, will get the new telescope out and look into the past. \:\)
BBQ'ing some ribs, enjoying some family time and watching the fireworks, helping my son's Boy Scout Troop set up for a city event called "Heritage Fest" - the scouts are paid for their time; helps offset camping trips and the like. Also enjoying a glass or six of Southern Pecan, I've got a keg on tap and one in reserve.

Scott
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/03/08 02:00 AM
It's almost become a tradition at our place now...

BBQ and Beer while watching some Wimbledon matches. Then in the evening, we go down to the local tennis courts and hit some while drunk, and watch the fireworks. It's darn cool to have fireworks exploding overhead while playing tennis. \:\)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/03/08 02:14 AM
 Originally Posted By: HomeDad
we are heading for the coast via the wineries in Paso tomorrow

If you can, stop by Dover Canyon...their zins are AMAZING!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/03/08 03:57 AM
Abzinlutely Fantazintic!
Posted By: grunt Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/03/08 04:25 AM
Volunteered to work to launch a couple missions in support of 4th of July stuff. I hate to see the guys with families get jammed with it.
Posted By: duckman Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/03/08 04:55 AM
Taking my car to an annual (this year is the 20th ) cruise-in, bbq, charity fundraiser in a small park. A local businessman who's a little wild lives accross the street and goes nuts with the fireworks.Rumour is he bought 2 PALLETS of fireworks. \:o That's on the 3rd. On the 4th I'm going to a freind's WEDDING, on the 4th of july. Then some freinds are coming out to the house on the 5th.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/03/08 05:02 AM
 Quote:
If you can, stop by Dover Canyon...their zins are AMAZING!

We stopped by there on our last visit because of your recommendation and really enjoyed it, loved the artwork on the labels also. Right down the road was a place that specializes in Olive Oil called Pasolivo that my wife also loved, I liked it also but have a hard time spending more for Olive Oil than wine. \:\)
Posted By: Hutzal Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/03/08 02:59 PM
I am actually have a going away BBQ for myself and my wife on July 4 (Our independence day). Probably around 40 people will be attending. We are leaving for Vietnam next week (July 10) for a month. And then I'll be heading down to LA for my schooling. I'll try and post some pics while I am on the road on Vietnam in the forum here. I really cannot wait.
Posted By: fredk Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/03/08 04:37 PM
I'll be sitting at work making medic8r happy.
Posted By: dllewel Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/03/08 07:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
Volunteered to work to launch a couple missions in support of 4th of July stuff. I hate to see the guys with families get jammed with it.

That's quite nice of you.
 Originally Posted By: Hutzal
I am actually have a going away BBQ for myself and my wife on July 4 (Our independence day). Probably around 40 people will be attending. We are leaving for Vietnam next week (July 10) for a month. And then I'll be heading down to LA for my schooling. I'll try and post some pics while I am on the road on Vietnam in the forum here. I really cannot wait.

So is that Los Angeles, or LouisiAna for that LA reference?

Scott
Posted By: onn Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/04/08 10:59 AM
Happy U S Day to our Southern neighbours
Mel N.
Happy Independence Day! Watch out for alien invasions...
Posted By: SRoode Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/04/08 01:27 PM
Happy Independence Day! Wow, has it really been 232 years? Seems like only 100 or so...
Posted By: SRoode Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/04/08 02:09 PM
We're having a neighborhood block party (if it stops raining!). We have the local fire dept lined up to bring the truck by and let all the little ones meet some real live heroes. Barbecuing, Beer, Music... It should be really nice.

We are also having a bike parade for the little kids (led by the fire dept), and we have decked out our kids' bikes for the parade. Here's our little guys bike! (I did it without him know, so this was the 1st time he saw it):

Posted By: fredk Re: Whats everyone got planned for the 4th. - 07/04/08 03:51 PM
 Quote:
We're having a neighborhood block party

Very cool! Your son looks pretty happy.

Hope everyone is having a good day. Its been a day of chasing computer gremlins for me.
© Axiom Message Boards