Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Bennett_Marco Canadian prices for audio equipment - 09/06/08 04:20 AM
Rant Alert!

The Canadian dollar has been at, or around, par with the American dollar for more than a year now...so why are most A/V manufacturers still ripping us Canucks off with ridiculous mark-ups? I bought a receiver recently, and it was well worth my while to:
1) drive down to the US
2) hide the damn thing in my spare tire well so I wouldn’t have to pay “Duty” (which makes me wonder, what does that F stand for in NAFTA anyway?)

Axiom seems to be a rare exception in this regard. Their US/Can pricing is actually logical, and, if you’re lucky enough to live near the factory (like me)…they give you a discount for picking them up yourself.

I guess my issue is with the rest of the stores in Canada….So, does anybody know of any Canadian AV stores that have come around to the fact that the Canadian dollar is no longer worth 65 cents American?

I'm sure this has been discussed here ad nauseum, but I just felt the need to b$tch.
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: Canadian prices for audio equipment - 09/06/08 05:58 PM
I was listening to a renowned financial analyst on a local radio station a few weeks back. He commented on how Canadians were still paying an average of 17% more than they should be for various retail products (including automobiles). That's why I still price items on both sides of the border before purchasing.
Posted By: doormat Re: Canadian prices for audio equipment - 09/06/08 06:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Bennett_Marco

2) hide the damn thing in my spare tire well so I wouldn’t have to pay “Duty” (which makes me wonder, what does that F stand for in NAFTA anyway?)

The duty (6%?) is because the item is actually likely Chinese. Any product that is 100% 'merican would be duty free. Off the top of my head I can't think of any a/v stuff that is.
© Axiom Message Boards