Axiom Home Page
Posted By: HomeDad Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 02:02 AM
Last week I started having problems with my computer freezing, after much trial and error it turned out it was Firefox that was causing the problem, anyone having or had this problem. I really preferred Firefox over I.E. until all the problems.
Posted By: doormat Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 02:19 AM
Well, I have been hearing lots of complaints about FF3, but haven't personally had any freezing problems. What many have done is uninstalled 3 and gone back to 2.xx. Mozilla is still putting out security updates for FF2, so it'll remain secure.

Firefox 2
Posted By: myrison Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 02:26 AM
Interesting - I haven't had any problem other than that right after the update to FF3, many of my "add-on" extensions did not work. Could it be that you have an incompatible add-on in FF3 that doesn't play nicely with the new version? You might try removing all of those and just going with vanilla FF3 until you figure out the problem.

Jason
Posted By: doormat Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 02:37 AM
I know that my biggest peeve with 3 was the loss of Tab Mix Plus, but there is a beta version that works with 3 which has yet to cause me any problems.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 03:06 AM
Maybe I'll try a complete uninstall and reinstall to see what happens.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 03:59 AM
Jason, you were right, the vanilla version works fine, I'll have to stay away from the add-ons.
Posted By: myrison Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 01:11 PM
Ahh, good deal, Michael. Glad to hear it!

Doormat - Tab Mix Plus - there's another thing I didn't know I was missing, I'll check it out... \:\)
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 02:58 PM
I've switched to Chrome and have loved it. I've found a couple bugs on various sites, but over all I like it so much more than either IE or Firefox.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 08:55 PM
HomeDad- The add-ons are what makes FF such a great browser, don't bail out on them entirely. Try adding them back in one at a time and see how it goes. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be an image-zoom add-on. I found a different one and now everything's fine again.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 10:41 PM
I'll try that, I'm not sure which one was causing the problems so I'll test them one at a time.
Posted By: grunt Re: Firefox out I.E. back. - 10/03/08 11:06 PM
I had a problem with Firefox and traced it to the Java Applet Plugin which was periodically hogging 99% of the CPU cycles. It was also causing things I typed to be jumbled. Exiting Firefox and restarting often took care of the jumbling but almost always the plugin started hogging recourses. For some things I needed the Java Applet Plugin so I tried “nicing” it from Windows Task Manager but as I suspected that feature of Windows sucked. So that and some of the security issues I found caused me to switch back to IE.

I found this link a little helpful when trying to figure this out.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Java...g_in_text_boxes
© Axiom Message Boards