Axiom Home Page
Posted By: James_T New Macbook Pro - 10/30/08 07:04 PM
Fellow mac users, have any of you gotten one of the brick macbook pros yet? If you had a macbook pro prior, which one was it and how much of an increase in performance did you get?

I have a macbook pro from april 06 (2.0cpu 2gig ram max) that I use for school and would love a faster more ram-stacked machine. I've read a few articles (arstechnica for the win. I saw your comment kcarlile on the 8GB ram thread), but wonder if anyone can offer their own 'real-world' experience.

Thanks

-james
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/30/08 07:37 PM
heh. I've gotta go back and check if anyone said anything about it.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/30/08 08:56 PM
I will let you know soon. I have one on order now. Mine will have 4 gigs, but I might upgrade it to 6 using one of the recently announced 4GB chips from ramjet. I don't think the new MacBook Pros can do 8GB.

I maxed the processor at 2.8GHz on this order and am getting a 7200rmp drive. Right now, I'm using a 2.16GHz Core Duo with a 5400rpm drive, so I expect to see a very noticeable difference.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/30/08 09:35 PM
OK, I'm officially jealous.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/30/08 09:43 PM
Get used to it. He tends to cause that when he talks about his job.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/30/08 09:54 PM
 Quote:
OK, I'm officially jealous.

That doesn't come close to making us even. \:\)
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 01:46 AM
Peter, just trade him your shiny new laptop for his house.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 02:42 AM
his house in California.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 11:40 AM
"California's been good to me
Hope it don't fall into the sea"

Some doof made me a CD mix with that Tom Petty song on it.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 12:32 PM
HEY!

Oh, wait. That wasn't me.
Posted By: Murph Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 12:33 PM
Better yet, did you get one of the ones missing the letter "B" ???

I especially liked a comment I remember seeing on the Engadget site.
"I guess I have to buy the letter "B" at iTunes.
Posted By: myrison Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 01:23 PM
Awesome - did this really happen or was it photoshopped?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 01:57 PM
It really happened.
Posted By: Murph Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 02:01 PM
Yes, it really happened, and the funniest part is, this is not the first time they have messed up a keyboard.

Heres the link to the actual Engadget article. It showed up on a bunch of tech related spots on the web and TV too.

New MacBook is Mm Mm Good!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 02:23 PM
I just ought my new Macook Pro, and I can't elieve how awesome it is. Y far, the est laptop I've owned.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 02:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
I just ought my new Macook Pro, and I can't elieve how awesome it is. Y far, the est laptop I've owned.

But it seems to be missing the "B" key! ;\)
Edit: Just realized I skipped a few posts where this joke originated! Sorry....
Posted By: Murph Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 02:47 PM
Now that was funny!!!
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 05:03 PM
HA ha!

TW, this would e an interesting game, figuring out where the dropped 's are.

I like ouncing oos, youetcha.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 05:14 PM
Don't talk aout your ounce of ooze in pulic, please.
Posted By: medic8r Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 05:21 PM
When I was in middle school, I gave an oral report in which I called the puic region the pulic region. Everyody usted a gut.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 06:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
his house in California.

;\) However, don't feel jealous right now, since we're about to start re-roofing an Eichler (flat roof)... It was all planned before the market crashed on all of us recently. Unfortunately, this is something we need since the roof leaks. So appropriate since it's been a rainy Hallowween day. Ugh. And then we found out our radiant floor heating in the kitchen is leaking, causing the wood floors to start warping. Double ugh.

On the bright side, we were featured in a magazine recently. You can even catch a glimpse of one of my Von Schweikert VR1's. The Axioms are in the media room.

http://eichlernetwork.com/spot_colors.html

Also, looks like the Macbooks can support at least 6GB.

http://gizmodo.com/5072239/confirmed-new-macbooks-support-6gb-ram
Posted By: James_T Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 11:04 PM
An Eichler. Very nice. I'm more envious of that than a new macbook pro. That is a gorgeous home.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: New Macbook Pro - 10/31/08 11:25 PM
Thanks!

I do have to admit, I'm tempted to be in the market for a new Mac. My parents need a new computer so I want "donate" my mac mini and upgrade that. Was trying to decide on the Macbook or go all out for the 24" iMac. But I'm waiting to see if there's any iMac or Mac Mini refreshes soon. Haven't heard though.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New Macbook Pro - 11/01/08 01:53 AM
I've heard nothing about iMac or Mini refreshes. There were some rumors that Apple will deep six the Minis, but as far as I can tell those are pure speculation.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: New Macbook Pro - 11/01/08 04:42 AM
Yes, it's definitely speculation. However, if you think about the new display w/ the magsafe connector and iSight camera, you can assume that they could easily refresh the Mini to work w/ that display and minimize connections. At that point, it also becomes close to the AppleTV.

Speaking of AppleTV, I just hacked it w/ Boxee. Now it can run XMBC and Hulu. It even has connections to run CBS's shows, including REALLY old shows, like Beauty and the Beast w/ Ron Pearlman, and Comedy Central. VERY well done, I've even run it on my Mac. Easy hack, the hardest part is finding a USB stick that's bootable.
© Axiom Message Boards