Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/18/08 10:25 PM
I know there's many users in the form that have a PS3 and I found this video that some might find helpful. I also read through some of the comments posted and there's some interesting stuff. One of which is that you can apparently load Linux on a PS3 and use it as a computer.

Posted By: Ya_basta Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/18/08 10:39 PM
Here's a video of Linux loaded on a PS3.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 01:35 AM
I think Craig (spiffnme) successfully installed a bigger hard drive in his PS3. If anyone is planning on doing it may shoot him a quick PM for pointers.
Posted By: HAY Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 02:19 AM
Here's something for you wheelz...32 Node PS3 cluster

http://us.fixstars.com/store/index.php?submit=software&submitimg[hardware][solutions]=1

A light weight but powerful cluster, ideal for the development of parallel, Cell optimized code. Seamless code migration to IBM Cell blades enables a smart, powerful upgrade path. This cluster offers a theoretical performance of greater than 5TF!

# Quad-core 970MP PowerStation head node, 2GB RAM, 70GB SAS drive, DVD-R/W.
# 32 80GB PLAYSTATION®3s.
# 33 Cat6 ethernet cables.
# 48 port Net Gear 10/100/1000 Switch (1U)
# Yellow Dog Linux pre-installed.
# Y-HPC Cluster Construction suite pre-installed.
# Cluster Resources' Moab cluster management suite, pre-installed.
# Mouse, Keyboard, Benq 19" Display.
# 20 Hours of technical support.
# Optional Cell devel tools from Allinea, IBM, and Mercury
# HPC Racks, rack shelves, and power distribution --optional.
# Backup power (UPS) --optional.
# Storage system --optional.
Posted By: CV Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 05:18 AM
Maybe one of these days I'll splurge like a madman and replace the PS3 hard drive with one of the Intel SSDs.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 05:29 AM
Why?!
Posted By: CV Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 05:33 AM
Ha ha, to make people like you scream?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 05:34 AM
Gad, sometimes I hate people with 1 (relatively substantial) income/person. :-P
Posted By: myrison Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 02:17 PM
Ok, so you CAN install Linux on the PS3, but why would you? Seriously, I'm not just being argumentative, what purpose would it have and how would people use it once installed?

Seems like something to do just to say you've done it, not because there is any practical purpose?

If I'm wrong, please tell me, maybe it's something I never new I needed to do to my PS3. \:\)

Jason
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 02:48 PM
Jason, I just posted the links because I figured there'd be some people that might be interested, I don't even have a PS3. The benefit of installing Linux (that I could find) is that it turns the PS3 into a fully functioning computer, other than that I'm not sure.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 07:34 PM
I never actually did it. I was just surprised that it was mentioned in the PS3 owners manual how to do it. They actually encourage it.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 08:06 PM
I read an article in Popular Mechanics describing how to load Linux and it mentions that it doesn't void the warranty.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/19/08 08:08 PM
Oh, no, Sony's fully behind that. The main point in that bundle is supercomputing on the IBM/Sony/Toshiba(!) Cell chip.
Posted By: myrison Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/20/08 01:43 AM
Hey Cam, sorry if my note seemed like it was a jab at you. It wasn't at all, I'm just genuinely curious what one does once they have Linux on their PS3.

In a totally strange twist of fate, I had a guy at work today ask me if I knew how to install Linux on a PS3. Weird! (so, in that case, thanks for posting this very timely information) \:\)

By the way, I asked him why he was doing it... he said just to see if he could, so my theory remains. \:\)

Jason
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/20/08 01:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: myrison

By the way, I asked him why he was doing it... he said just to see if he could, so my theory remains. \:\)

Jason

Yes it does Jason \:\) , and no offense taken whatsoever, I know that's not the way you roll \:\) .

Take it easy dude

Oh yes, if it helps him, here are two websites that explain how to load it.

Popular Mechanics

Tweak Town
Posted By: myrison Re: How to Upgrade a PS3 Hard Drive - 12/20/08 03:00 PM
Consider me taking it easy. Just making sure \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards