Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Adrian Speaker Cabinet Design - 01/30/09 10:59 PM
Can anyone recommend a decent book or website on speaker cabinet desgn/making. I have both the curiousity and basic woodworking skills to try something like this down the road as I'm sure some of you have already done. There's some info on the 'net, but not too much in the way of pictures.

Tks, Adrian
Posted By: jakewash Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 01/30/09 11:21 PM
Tha basics are somewhat simple, thick MDF is a must, shouldn't be square on the inside. The rest id up to you.

http://www.kbapps.com/audio/speakerdesign/calculators/port03.html

Posted By: Adrian Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 01/30/09 11:29 PM
Thanks, Jay, I'm checking that site out...Sheez, this is like learning a new language.
Posted By: fredk Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 01/31/09 12:03 AM
Here ya go.

How are you with electronics? There is a wide range of what you can do in the DIY world from kits to complete gound up design.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 01/31/09 12:11 AM
Holy Holsteins, Fredster!! lots of books there. Ummm....what are e-lek-traaw-niks? Cabinets, no probs, electronics different story.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 01/31/09 09:44 AM
You could always build a kit, I have heard good things about GR research
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 01/31/09 03:08 PM
Yep, DIY will probably be a good alternative...
Posted By: fredk Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 02/01/09 05:20 AM
Adrian. The cookbook one seems to be one that people have as a main reference.

I would love to give a kit a try sometime just for the heck of it. I love to build stuff.
Posted By: fredk Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 02/01/09 05:27 AM
How about this for a front firing sub about 2x2x3'? The darker band on the outside would be a highly figured darker wood of some sort.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 02/01/09 03:53 PM
Ooooooohhhhh! Highly Figured Maple! \:\)

I really need to spend some time in Sketchup!
Posted By: fredk Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 02/01/09 05:03 PM
Actually I think its suppposed to be cherry, but you can actually import your own textures. For example, you could take a picture of any piece of wood and import that as a texture and use it to fill in any surface.

Sketchup is a very cool tool. At times it gets confused as to what axis you are moving along, but it is very intuative to use.
Posted By: Warrant Re: Speaker Cabinet Design - 02/03/09 04:27 AM
Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook.
© Axiom Message Boards