Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol Winter Fun - 02/03/09 04:50 AM
I guess if the darn groundhog says more winter, you might as well have fun.... Check out the video:
Backyard Ice Luge
Posted By: BrenR Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 04:56 AM
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Backyard Ice Luge
Is the word ice really necessary here? As opposed to? A lava luge? A vodka luge?

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 04:58 AM
Apparently it is, given your link there.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 05:56 AM
This one is priceless. Be sure to view at full size...
Posted By: BrenR Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 07:01 AM
21 vodka luges shown there and you go straight for the wang luge. Medic8r - what does Freud say about this subject?

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 07:25 AM
I think the cigarette makes the picture. I guess they must have gotten the consent form right then and there to use that picture, because I can't imagine anyone signing that sober.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 02:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
This one is priceless. Be sure to view at full size...

Well, there went at least one career in politics. ;\)
Posted By: Murph Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 05:51 PM
and speaking of redundant words...
Why do you American's say "Tuna Fish"?
Here in Canada, we just assume that if it's tuna, it must be fish.

(joke stolen from some stand up guy who's name I can't remember.)
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 09:48 PM
I don't say tuna fish.

Why do you Canadians always say "aboot"?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 10:54 PM
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

"Roof (ruff), root (rutt), quarter (quahtah), drawer (drah)" - four words I can't listen to Norm Abrams say without wanting to feed him his beard. Yes, that's a New England accent, but aboot is kept tightly confined to the area directly above "East'un Mann-eh-sooohta" and that whole area shares a bad accent.

Bren R.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 11:23 PM
There's many different accents right across N.A. Maritimers have a distinct accent, Quebeckers, eastern US (NY and Boston), SE States, West coast....still, we pale compared to Europe. There's probably twice as many accents in Britain alone, than in N.A. Och Aye!!
Posted By: danmagicman7 Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 11:28 PM
The Chicagoan accent is clearly the best and least distorted of all American accents.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Winter Fun - 02/03/09 11:39 PM
Yup... Midwestern US "English" has been the "standard" for general US spoken words in movies and TV for years. It is only when they are going for some New York, Upper Eastern, Southern, Hick/hillbilly, or whatever *specific* accent to make sure that we know where the person is from that they stray away from the "Midwestern accent"...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 05:30 AM
The areas surrounding Washington DC are pretty accent free, as is the entire west coast.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 06:14 AM
Peter, I'm having a hard time understanding you. Could you type slower?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 06:35 AM
No, my key repeat delay is too low and my repeat rate is too high. If I slow down, you'd see ttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiissssssssss.
Posted By: HAY Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 05:48 PM

It's funny, this is a common stereotype yet I still haven't heard a Canadian say it this way myself. Eh?! on the other hand, daily heard and said. Of course if you go further west it seems it's always hey?!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 06:06 PM
Neither had I until I was watching "Destroyed in Seconds" on Discovery and there was a cruise ship crashing into a bridge.

"These Canadian tourists caught it all on tape!"
'Ooh, nooh... dat boat's aboot to hit dat bridge!'

That's when I figured out exactly what they were talking about.

Bren R.
Posted By: Murph Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 06:29 PM
Accents are fun. Even in our tiny province you can often identify what town somebody is from by their dialect. Where my wife is from, every time they say the word "more" I think they are talking about a lawn "mower".

And yes, Winter is fun!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 06:51 PM
I've heard some people throw the letter 'r' into the word 'wash'??? "I have to warsh my car".
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 06:58 PM
Midwest. My grandfather spoke like that.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 08:19 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I've heard some people throw the letter 'r' into the word 'wash'??? "I have to warsh my car".
I bug a friend from Pennsylvania every time she says she has to go "warsh" something.

Colloquialisms are even more interesting than accents. A friend from AZ used to suggest that her daughters needed to "get all their s**t in one sock."

I've adopted that one. (The saying, not the daughter)

Bren R.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Winter Fun - 02/04/09 10:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: BrenR

I've adopted that one. (The saying, not the daughter)

Bren R.

Haha!! that's a good one, excuse me for a minute...I have to go empty my warshing machine.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Winter Fun - 02/05/09 04:10 AM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I have to go empty my warshing machine.
Is that a front loader? Anyone have recommendations for a good front loader?

Bren R.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Winter Fun - 02/05/09 04:55 AM
[norm]Kenmah makes a good front loadah[/norm]
Posted By: CV Re: Winter Fun - 02/05/09 05:41 AM
 Originally Posted By: BrenR
Colloquialisms are even more interesting than accents. A friend from AZ used to suggest that her daughters needed to "get all their s**t in one sock."

I keep saying, "Well, I'm not going to bleed out my pajamas over it," lately, and I don't know why.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Winter Fun - 02/05/09 12:17 PM
I had a neighbor that used to say umpen when she meant open (Arkansas dialect). It is probably hypocritical for someone from Texas to make fun of others accents though.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Winter Fun - 02/05/09 01:42 PM
ya think? I d'know. Djeet yet? Yawn't to?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Winter Fun - 02/05/09 02:07 PM
When my family first moved from (South) Jersey to Rhode Island, I think my teacher got annoyed with me on my first day of class.

While we were reading something, she called out "Mack". A few seconds later: "Mack". Then "Mack, are you ignoring me?".

I looked up to see her staring straight at me.

I've been in new England since 1976, and I STILL think the New England accents are funny.

Pock yu cah in da K-Maht Pockin' Lot. Wicked Pissah. South Boston has a dialect all it's own.

New Hampshire and Maine have a drawl from the old timers as well, though it's not really heard among those under 50~70 too much.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Winter Fun - 02/05/09 09:10 PM
ya think? I d'know. Djeet yet? Yawn't to?
I started making fun of the "MN" accent by saying "Ookie" or "Oogie" instead of "Okay"... problem is, it stuck.

Bren R.
Posted By: fredk Re: Winter Fun - 02/06/09 12:44 AM
Yous guys and your accents. Tell you what, I'd be up a crik without a paddle in deep Texas.
© Axiom Message Boards