Axiom Home Page
Posted By: onn Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/24/09 11:41 PM
About a month ago the electrician I hired to install electrical outlets for my HT system wrecked my carpeting. I had decided to replace the carpeting with cork flooring. Any flooring / audio gurus out there can tell me if this is a bad idea. I really don't like the idea of putting the carpeting back. Thanks for any advice. Nothing is set in stone yet.
Mel N.
Posted By: Zimm Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/24/09 11:59 PM
Not sure, but curious. I made an acoustic panel covered if wine corks. Not sure if it works, as I can't get any data on cork. But should be comfortable on the feet.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 12:46 AM
We have been considering cork floors for our house because we have radiant heat.

The previous owners had the great idea of covering radiant heat floors with carpet and wood laminate. Not a good idea...

Cork can be VERY comfortable underfoot. The biggest issue you will have is that you have to be conscious of furniture, shoes (like spikes, heels), and pets w/ long nails that can cut into the cork. That being said, my architect redsigned the Jewish Temple at Stanford University with cork floors and that place has a LOT of traffic and it's apparently held up well.
Posted By: Family Man Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 01:38 AM
Hey Onn, look what i found. I hope this help out.

http://www.duro-design.com/index.cfm/page/cork.installations/installationId/216/
Posted By: onn Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 02:43 AM
One issue I'm trying to avoid if possible is more sound reflections besides my walls. With carpeting it's a non issue. I don't know if the same can be true for cork. Would I class it the same as hardwood flooring or a slightly better option for first reflections.
Posted By: Family Man Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 03:06 AM
I remember my audio studies at Trebas Institute of Recording Arts. We would study and work at Montreal Sound(its a 24 track analogue,recording studio back in the 80's).I remember that Cork is what lined the walls and floors i believe. Very strong like hardwood floors but also very porous material for absorption.

For the home, as i am deathly allergic to carpeting, i have Hardwood floors in my HT room. I would have went with cork but with 4 kids under the age of 10 it would have been very bad for the floor. I believe that you must research this as there are many types of cork, some very hard and less absorptive, and some soft and highly absorptive. The link i sent you stuck me because i know the audio center in montreal and never would have guessed it was made of cork. i believe that there is an 800 number you could call and see what they say.

Hope this helps Onn.
Posted By: onn Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info FM.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 01:34 PM
Good old FM... always full of tons of helpful info!

And... No static at all!
Posted By: jakewash Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 07:20 PM
I would go for the cork flooring my Brother-in-laws parents had it and I loved but with younger kids, it would be torn up in not time. If you find the cork to be too reflective, which I doubt as expressed by ealier posts, an area rug could be brought in.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 07:59 PM
The big disadvantage of cork is how soft it is.

It looks kind of like hardwood... but it's softer than even pine. I found that out the hard way lighting show homes for their video walkthroughs.

5 pound Strand Redheads on stands didn't leave any marks on the less expensive houses' laminate floors but left telltale dents in the more expensive homes' cork floors. Luckily I had some cardboard slipsheets to put down after that. Oops.

(as an aside, I also got a new hatred for electricians trying to find power for 6,950 watts worth of lights)

Bren R.
Posted By: onn Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 08:22 PM
It can't be any worse than an electrician using a hole saw that catches a thread of your carpeting and doesn't stop until you notice a big pile next to him (carpeting not the other type of pile)
Posted By: BrenR Re: Carpet or Cork flooring - 03/25/09 08:33 PM
5 separate circuits within a 50 foot radius, that's all I ask.

Maybe he thought you were going to just knit it back in.

Knit one, perl two... knit one, perl two...

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards