Axiom Home Page
Posted By: baloo New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:33 AM
I just got my new home theater set up - M80's, VP150, QS8's, and (oh, yeah!) an EP800. I would like to commend the guys at Axiom for both an incredible product as well as unbelievable service. Thanks to the Fed-ED, both the subwoofer and one of the M80's were badly damaged in transit. They take "drop shipping" literally. The crew at Axiom (thanks J.C.!) promptly rectified the situation. I am now a true believer. I am already planning to purchase another sub and speakers for 2.1 stereo in my dining/living room. My good friend and next-door neighbor was so impressed by the quality of the speakers and service that he plans to purchase the identical setup within the next week or so. Anyhow, I just wanted to thank everyone at Axiom as well as to convey my immense satisfaction with my experience thus far. Axiom rocks!!!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:37 AM
Welcome Jason,

Glad your enjoying your system, that is one awesome setup. Make sure your neighbor mentions your name so you get the referral. I'm anxious to hear your feedback once you get it all setup and calibrated.

What are you using to drive the system?
Posted By: CV Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:38 AM
Hey, congratulations on your purchase, and hopefully your next one will arrive intact on the first go. Yeah, the customer service is wonderful. Welcome to the club.
Posted By: baloo Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:46 AM
Just have an Onkyo TX-SR806 for now with a PS3 as BD Player. I will likely add an amp after my credit card cools down a bit. I am pumped that I can use my Harmony One remote to control my PS3 with the Schmartz PS3IR contraption. It works beautifully. I'll post up some pics of my theater soon.
Posted By: CV Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:48 AM
Oh, definitely post pics. We're all into pictures.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:49 AM
Nothing wrong with the 806, you most likely won't need an extra amp. Being THX Ultra rated you should have no issues with the 4 ohm 80's.
Posted By: jakewash Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:50 AM
Just don't let him read my post on the A1400
Posted By: baloo Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:54 AM
sounds a bit twisted! I'll post some up now.
Posted By: baloo Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 05:12 AM
Let's try this. One picture is taken from behind the recliner/sofa. The other picture is from the front. I only require 5.1 since the room is fairly small.
The EP800 is overkill but I love it! It sounds really good there. The kitchen and bar are behind the curtain. It really helps to control glare from the TV.
Posted By: baloo Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 05:14 AM
The 806 sounds great but it was smokin' hot today after an intense session. It is rated to 4 ohms and I changed the speaker setting accordingly.
Posted By: JohnK Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 05:37 AM
Jason, welcome. Change the impedance setting on the 806 back to the higher number. Setting it to 4 ohms in no way optimizes it for operating with speakers having that rating, as some imagine. This is a precaution to help prevent overheating, required by UL(Underwriters Laboratories). It does this by reducing the voltage that the power supply section of the receiver can output. Following Ohm's Law, when the voltage is reduced so is the current and power. So, although the chance of overheating is reduced this is done at the expense of reducing the maximum performance capability. Tests indicate that the maximum power capacity is roughly cut in half. The lower impedance setting should never be used.
Posted By: baloo Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 05:57 AM
It was pretty warm. Do you really think I should push it? I mean, I agree 100% but dropping the max output seems like a good way to protect the amp from a fiery death.
Posted By: JohnK Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 06:31 AM
The point wasn't how far you should "push it", although if the unit got really too hot the protective circuits would shut it down. Limiting the power capability by limiting the voltage output leads to a possible situation where clipping would occur earlier and might cause speaker damage, a more significant problem than simply running hot.

Sound&Vision often tests the effect of the lower impedance setting during its reviews. The 806 hasn't been tested, but note for example the result with the 875 .
Posted By: baloo Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 06:34 AM
Ahh!!! Thank you for the sage advice! I am switching it back at this moment.
Posted By: fredk Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 07:25 AM
 Quote:
I only require 5.1 since the room is fairly small.

Looks teeny tiny to me. How did you fit the 800 in there? Honey, I think I shrunk the 800." ;\)

Thats one killer setup you have. I need a second job so I can run with the monster sub club. \:\(
Posted By: onn Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 12:35 PM
Welcome to the Axiom club Jason, and your sub-memberships in the M80 and EP800 clubs. Your really going to enjoy that setup. Was the damage to your speakers mechanical or to the cabinets?
Mel N.
Posted By: Adrian Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 12:48 PM
Another welcome, Jason. Sorry about the damage on the speakers but I know Axiom will look after you, as you know their service is exemplary.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:00 PM
Onkyo's run very hot. It is completely normal. Driving 4-ohm speakers might make it just a tad bit hotter, but your M80's are not the reason that it's hot to begin with. See numerous AVS threads. It's not a problem unless you have it in an enclosed cabinet with no air circulation.

As JohnK says, it is usually recommended to just leave the impediance switches in the '6+ ohm' setting unless you start to experience thermal shutdowns. Though with the 876 I just returned, I could tell any difference in terms of sound volume or quality when running my M80's in the 4 or 6+ ohm setting.

As a test, just leave it on and don't play anything - it'll likely remain just as hot as it does when you're using it. ;\)

Enjoy the fabulous new setup!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:18 PM
Welcome to the forum baloo,

That is a very impressive setup you got there . You are in a very elite club . Congratulations! IMO you can never have too much subwoofer as long as its calibrated properly. I bet the EP800 really rocks that room! \:\)

Enjoy!

PS - Get your neighbour to join the forum \:\)
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:18 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
...PS - Get your neighbour to join the forum \:\)

HA!!! \:D
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 04:20 PM
Maybe his first post could be to hi-jack this thread \:D
Posted By: baloo Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 05:06 PM
I had very minor cabinet damage to the sub. That is remarkable considering how much foam was surrounding it. The amp, however, was toast. I noticed that the woofers were not working on one of the M80s so I pulled the crossover out. One of the coils was broken loose and unwrapped. It was dangling from one of the tubes behind the lower mid. FedEx must have really hurled them. I love this setup. I knew the room was small for the sub but I am an admitted bass-aholic and I had to have the low end for movie effects. Impressive! Thanks for the advice on the impedance setting. It makes perfect sense that they would limit the power to appease the UL. I tried cranking it up with both settings - big difference!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 06:15 PM
Hey Jason, do you have links to larger images, looks like you just posted thumbnail images.
Posted By: baloo Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 09:46 PM
Try this.

Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 10:34 PM
baloo,

Just curious what Blu-ray movies you have watched on that killer setup of yours so far?

Cheers!
Posted By: jakewash Re: New EP800 - 03/28/09 11:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: baloo
Try this.

Even smaller now ;\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: New EP800 - 03/29/09 01:58 AM
Now where is my old tasco microscope. \:\)
© Axiom Message Boards