Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Argon AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 04:29 PM
I don't know if this point has been made before - The best way to appreciate the Axiom Forums is to spend a little time over on AVS. I mean D@#&!! I went back over there yesterday to read up on my receiver to see if I am missing anything. Talk about petty, backbiting, uninformed, silly, immature crapola!?! I had forgotten what it was like from when I was on there constantly when researching my TV purchase. Ask a question???? Sure, but you risk being totally ignored or belittled or given opinions that are just plain wrong. Makes you appreciate the regulars over here.

Whew! Ok....I feel better now.
Posted By: Adrian Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 04:44 PM
What about us "irregulars"?
Posted By: Argon Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 05:07 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
What about us "irregulars"?

Almost 1100 posts since December- you definately make the cut for regular! \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 05:15 PM
I hope at least one of those posts was helpfull to someone \:D
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 05:38 PM
There is a tremendous amount of 'chaff' over on AVS, no doubt. Since they're just a massive melting pot of tens of thousands of opinions, it's only natural that there would be some "less than useful" posts. But there are also a few grains of worthwhile information lurking about.

In the past couple of weeks, I've spent several hours researching AVR's over on AVS. I've found a lot of valuable information. Tips for setup, operational notes, firmware checks & updates, comparisons to previous models, links to amateur and professional reviews, and so forth. You just have to squelch out the silly & immature stuff and focus on the nuggets of worthwhile info.

We're just spoiled here. The signal-to-noise ratio on our Axiom board is very high. \:\)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 05:39 PM
yeah, I can relate. I used to frequent AVS a lot, more than Axiom believe it or not. I still stop by now and then to the Audio forums. There are still some good guys/gals over there, but a lot of trolls.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 06:00 PM
AVS is just way to big, to the point of overwhelming so I only read the speakers, subwoofers and Blu-ray sub forums. With the speakers and subwoofers I just read the owners forums they have on there. The owners forums are usually bumped and there is lots of information on the product you are looking for and the trolls are less frequent because it is people with common interests within the discussions. The general threads where people ask questions I stay away from because they attract all the trolls and the threads quickly degenerate.

My favotire area is the Blu-ray sub forum on AVS which is where I get all my ideas on what to buy and watch next.
Posted By: BrenR Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 08:10 PM
I'm not normally a "forum" person. I'm a big believer in the John Gabriel Internet D***wad Theory. But things around here (minus about a 6 month hiatus) are worth sticking around for.

Bren R.
Posted By: davekro Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 08:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
I hope at least one of those posts was helpfull to someone \:D

Well, I always enjoy seeing the pretty tiger. Does that count? 1100 since Dec... Holy bee jebbus, that's alot. \:\)
Posted By: Adrian Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 09:26 PM
At this rate I'll catch up to some of the guys here in...uhh...about 10 yrs.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 09:47 PM
It only took Peter and me 5 years, slowpoke.
Posted By: Adrian Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/30/09 09:52 PM
Uh oh! I hath been challenged!! (some might say mentally, but...)
Posted By: Argon Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/31/09 12:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
There is a tremendous amount of 'chaff' over on AVS, no doubt. Since they're just a massive melting pot of tens of thousands of opinions, it's only natural that there would be some "less than useful" posts. But there are also a few grains of worthwhile information lurking about.

In the past couple of weeks, I've spent several hours researching AVR's over on AVS. I've found a lot of valuable information. Tips for setup, operational notes, firmware checks & updates, comparisons to previous models, links to amateur and professional reviews, and so forth. You just have to squelch out the silly & immature stuff and focus on the nuggets of worthwhile info.

We're just spoiled here. The signal-to-noise ratio on our Axiom board is very high. \:\)

Peter,
There are bright spots, I agree. I was reading about my Yamaha RX-V663 receiver to pick up some tips on set up. The receiver has so much flexibility as to be confusing and I know that most over here are Denonites. The AVS thread has over 330 pages and I am up to page 50. There have only been a handful of posts worth reading. Maybe it'll get better - probably take a good month to get through it all given the amount of time that I have to spend on the forum........
Posted By: davekro Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/31/09 01:52 AM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
It only took Peter and me 5 years, slowpoke.

Ken,
Well now that you and Peter have had your ankle bracelets removed, so you can leave the house, your volume may slow a bit! \:D

(plus you probably type faster than ten words per minute... ;o)
Posted By: doormat Re: AVS vs Axiom - 03/31/09 02:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: Argon

Peter,
There are bright spots, I agree. I was reading about my Yamaha RX-V663 receiver to pick up some tips on set up. The receiver has so much flexibility as to be confusing and I know that most over here are Denonites. The AVS thread has over 330 pages and I am up to page 50. There have only been a handful of posts worth reading. Maybe it'll get better - probably take a good month to get through it all given the amount of time that I have to spend on the forum........

Yeah, I was going through the 3808 thread (over 460 pgs now) at work (when the job consisted of hitting "ok" every ten minutes for two weeks). Wading through the "I just ordered!" posts and the incessant questions about pricing, although tedious, paid some pretty major dividends. Lots of good info buried in banality.
© Axiom Message Boards