Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi good software for PC auto backup? - 03/31/09 03:14 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for some good backup software... cheap or free would be good.

I want to have daily backups made from my documents on the c drive and music from one external 500 gb drive to another external 500 gb drive. I am having problems with the windows task scheduler... says access is denied or something along those lines.

I either need to figure out how to get the windows backups to work, or use something different alltogether.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Posted By: jakewash Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 03/31/09 03:42 PM
I know many of my IT friends are using Acronis
Posted By: terzaghi Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 03/31/09 05:52 PM
looks promising. home edition runs 49.99 so not too bad. I think I may try and figure out why the windows backup isn't working properly first tho.

Anyone else have a suggestion?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 03/31/09 06:04 PM
Are you running Vista or XP?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 03/31/09 06:46 PM
xp
Posted By: Zarak Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 03/31/09 10:42 PM
robocopy is a free tool from MS if all you want is a backup copy of files. I do a robocopy from my main drive to my external one. I have a scheduled job, but I'm more likely to just click on the batch file I have on my desktop to do it manually once in a while.
Posted By: Zarak Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 03/31/09 10:45 PM
BTW...it is in the resource kit here. or there is also a GUI version of an updated version of robocopy called richcopy here
Posted By: fredk Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 03/31/09 11:24 PM
Acronis seems to be the backup software of choice. My cousin has done backups of a unix system using the pc version even though this is not a supported feature.

The ability to do a bare metal restore is very nice. I have already done this once and it works very well.
Posted By: Murph Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/01/09 11:54 AM
If you are like me, constantly adding and removing software, then reloading your PC from scratch now and then is not always a bad thing. I usually find that I get very noticeable returns in speed increases every time I do it. Therefore I back up only my data and if my OS goes kaboom, I view it as forcing myself to do a much needed re-install anyways.

Still, this alternative view is not for everyone. Also, if I relied on my home PC for work, an instant solution would be much more valuable.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/01/09 12:36 PM
I agree Zarack, we use Robocopy often at work to migrate files from one server to another. I moved over a Terebyte one weekend. \:\)
Posted By: fredk Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/01/09 06:47 PM
I have a baseline backup that I know is clean that I can go back to any time. It includes the basic software I will always want.

The nice thing about a bare metal restore like this is that you don't need to worry about reinstalling driver updates and the like. It is much simpler than a complete re-install of your sytem.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/01/09 10:52 PM
If you haven't already purchased the second 500 GB hard drive, I have a Seagate Freeagent Pro external hard drive which comes with an auto backup feature that immediately backs up your hard drive as soon as anything new is created; it's really slick.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/02/09 02:19 AM
Yeah, I already got it. I really wasn't in the market for one but found the 500 gb western digital my passport for $93 and couldn't resist. I already had one which is used for music (and some tv shows)...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/02/09 02:27 AM
I am running richcopy right now and backing up my pictures on my pc and my music from my external drive right now... couldn't figure out a way to set a scheduled backup with richcopy yet (if it is even possible), but in reality I can just run it once a week or so and it should be fine.

I may try Acronis... and still haven't been able to get the windows task scheduler to work. I use to have spybot search and destroy to auto updates and then a scan every night but that isn't working now either. I changed my computer name and user name a while back and task scheduler hasn't ran since, and any new attempt to set something up with it gives either doesn't work or gives me an access/permission error.

oh well, window task scheduler sucks anyway. (sour grapes!)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/02/09 05:50 AM
Try using newmachinename\newusername in the tasks, along with the new password. That's probably what happened.
Posted By: Murph Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/02/09 02:58 PM
Reread my post and realized I left out the most important part.

I went through this a while ago and if you are not looking for an instant PC rebuild option and just want to backup data, this is what I ended up going with after trying many, many options. I was willing to buy something but ironically, this freeware tool had everything I needed. Usually, freeware sacrifices something for it's convenient pricing.

AceBackup

It is freeware but seems to have every feature found in commercial models. At least all the stuff I needed and then some.
- Full or incrimental backups
- compression or 'as is'
- maintains the directory structure
- multiple file versions, if desired.
- a Scheduler
- Encryption or not
- options to backup via FTP, DVD or CD

I'm probably forgetting some key features but there is probably a better list on the web sight. Easy to use and very reliable so far.

Very nice package for freeware.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/07/09 04:04 AM
I've had good luck with the free version of SyncBack. I've been using it for years and I really like it.
Do any of these PC Backups also copy over apps? I'm trying to find a backup solution for my PC. If my PC 'dies', I want to reinstall my Windows from scratch and the restore my entire environment.

Now that I think about it, I'm looking more for a ghosting package.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/08/09 12:18 PM
Tom, thanks for the SyncBack link, started using it last night, great program! Do you just backup your profile folders for each user?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/08/09 03:43 PM
Yeah, basically, that's how it started. Now, I just tell everybody in my house that they have to store their crap on a virtual server I set up for that purpose. I'm mostly just concerned about pictures, music and documents, and the first two of those absolutely have to be centralized anyway. It's a good program for not only the automated stuff, but also to do project-based data moves.
Posted By: fredk Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/08/09 04:45 PM
 Quote:
Do any of these PC Backups also copy over apps?

Thats what a bare metal restore does. It is a disc image.
Thanks. Fortunately, I was able to use Linux and dd my drive. Cheap but VERY dangerous if you type it wrong...and I have...TWICE.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: good software for PC auto backup? - 04/14/09 04:36 AM
I ended up going with ACEBackup. It has worked flawlessly everynight (set to run at 2am). It works in conjuction with the windows task scheduler which I did manage to get working.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions.
© Axiom Message Boards