Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta WD TV HD Media Player - 04/28/09 08:28 PM
Just came across this today, and I'm going to pick one up next month. For the price, and what it can do, this is a really slick unit.

Thought someone might be interested in it.
Posted By: jakewash Re: WD TV HD Media Player - 04/28/09 09:08 PM
I've had my eye on that as well Cam, along with the new media hub(s) from Linksys
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: WD TV HD Media Player - 04/28/09 09:45 PM
That Linksys unit is really cool Jay, but it comes with a hefty price tag.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: WD TV HD Media Player - 04/28/09 10:32 PM
You might also take a look at the Popcorn Hour A-110. It's a bit more expensive than the WD, but it does more as well. It plays just about everything.

I picked one up in Feb at the same time I got a HP MediaSmart Server EX 485 (4 drive capability vs. the Linksys 2 drive unit mentioned).

I am in the midst of moving my 450+ DVD collection to the HP and the Popcorn Hour is a treat. If you chase any of this, also look at the skin (GUI) called YAMJ for the Popcorn Hour.
Posted By: Murph Re: WD TV HD Media Player - 04/29/09 11:30 AM
What impressed me the most about the WD device was the price. Pretty nicely featured for 100 bucks. Add an external hard drive I'm assuming but still pretty nice. I could barely buy one single component of a home built HTPC for 100 bucks, much less an entire working system minus some storage.

My PC is already on 7x24 with an overkill 900 watt power supply so I try to make it do as many things as it possibly can in my house without buying another box but if that wasn't the case, I think for $100, I'd be trying one of those units out.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: WD TV HD Media Player - 04/29/09 12:05 PM
If I hadn't just gotten the Roku Netflix box, I'd be thinking about one of those.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: WD TV HD Media Player - 04/29/09 06:42 PM
Bought it today, couldn't wait :-)!!
© Axiom Message Boards