Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 06:30 PM
Check out this awesome music performance app: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFG7-Q0WI7Q
Posted By: CV Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 06:34 PM
That's really cool, which could be why you said it was awesome. I don't have time to watch the whole thing now.
Posted By: fredk Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 07:45 PM
OK, thats way cool! Now, turn that into a 10 digit key-less board...
Posted By: nickbuol Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 08:39 PM
Cool!
Posted By: Kruncher Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 09:02 PM
Must. Buy. iTouch.

Coincidentally, have only recently discovered Dream Theater (care of Guitar Hero). I know, I know... "Where've you been?" A steady diet of local FM rock radio is my only excuse.

Thanks Peter!
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 09:08 PM
Cool.

Downloading now. Appears to be worth $1.99. ;\)
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 09:10 PM
Ok.... this *IS* pretty cool. Nice little time waster. \:\)
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 09:13 PM
Now my office mates are wondering why I have a chorus of chattering, singing robots in my office.

Thanks guys!!
Posted By: SRoode Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 10:23 PM
Can you play chords? I mean, can you use three fingers at once to play 3 notes at once?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/20/09 10:33 PM
Looks like it from the video.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/21/09 12:16 AM
You can play up to 4 notes at the same time.

Pretty cool app, thanks for sharing Peter...
Posted By: fredk Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/21/09 12:17 AM
I think it lets you play up to 4 notes at a time. Does that mean you need two iphones for a full key[less]board?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/21/09 03:11 AM
At $225 per month for 2 iPhones (on a family talk plan) I can think of at least one reason not to get one... This includes a 15% discount on the voiceplan thru my work. That being said we absolutely love ours and won't go back to a "non smartphone" ever again... Gonna go check out that app online now and see if it is worth the buy. Tnx!

- sent from my iPhone \:\)
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/21/09 01:06 PM
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi
At $225 per month for 2 iPhones (on a family talk plan) I can think of at least one reason not to get one... This includes a 15% discount on the voiceplan thru my work. That being said we absolutely love ours and won't go back to a "non smartphone" ever again... Gonna go check out that app online now and see if it is worth the buy. Tnx!

- sent from my iPhone \:\)

$225/month? What plan is that? You must need a lot of minutes! \:\)

We have 2 iPhones too (a 3G V2 and a V1). They're on a 450-minute/month family plan (with the usual unlimited nights,weekends, in-network calling - which accounts for about 95% of the calls we make) and with the standard iPhone data plans and text messaging. With a 10% discount through work, I pay ~$120/month after taxes. Cheap? Heck no. But it's reasonable for the benefits that we get from them.

I've had PDA phones for years and years. Palm's, Blackberries, WindowsMobile, etc. I'm used to paying $30+/month for the data. Sure, I'd love to pay less, but iPhone service plans aren't any less expensive than any other 'PDA-phone' plan by any other carrier. And the iPhone is superior, at least to all of the other PDA's and PDA-phone's I've ever used (and there have been dozens). It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn good, IMHO.
Posted By: bridgman Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/21/09 06:18 PM
Geez, it might be cheaper to buy a real synth ;\)
Posted By: fredk Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/21/09 06:22 PM
Yeah, but can you call home with your synth?
Posted By: CV Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/21/09 06:30 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Yeah, but can you call home with your synth?

The thing I find most annoying about the iPhone commercials is that they're doing all these things with the iPhone only to be interrupted by an incoming call. It made me wish the phone feature was left out.
Posted By: jakewash Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/21/09 06:55 PM
That is called the iPod Touch
Posted By: terzaghi Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/21/09 08:19 PM
2100 anytime minutes family plan, with unlimited texting on both lines. We don't have a land line and my fiance talks on the phone a lot \:\)

My 15% discount does not apply to the data plans.
Posted By: CV Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 05:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
That is called the iPod Touch

I've never looked into those. So it can do everything the iPhone can do except make and receive calls?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 05:49 AM
That'd be cool if it was high on the doodadery scale without the monthly payment thingy.
Posted By: CV Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 07:04 AM
I was hoping it would have GPS navigation functionality. It can use wifi to figure out your location, but that's not as helpful.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 11:59 AM
Yeah, it does everything but GPS and cell phone functions (SMS/phone).
Posted By: jakewash Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 03:10 PM
They have to save a couple of functions to entice people to buy the phone over the Touch. It's the sheer extra cost of the iPhone vs. the Touch I can't figure out, surely the phone/GPS capabilities do not cost that much to produce.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 04:40 PM
It's not really that much more expensive on the hardware side. It's the data plan that kills you.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 05:09 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
It's not really that much more expensive on the hardware side. It's the data plan that kills you.

I think Jay's point is that while a 16GB iPhone and a 16GB Touch both cost $299, the iPhone requires a 2-year agreement. AT&T will sell you a 8/16gb iPhone with no contract, but I think it's $499/$599. You can't tell me (or Jay) that the GSM radio & GPS chip doubles the cost. ;\)

I agree that if you're coming from a non-data cell phone plan, iPhones are more per month. But they're not when compared to every other PDA-centric device from any other manufacturer on any other carrier. People complain about the iPhone's data plans being expensive because they're not used to the fees that carriers charge for data on a PDA phone. The iPhone is not special in this regard. And really, they're not that much more than a 'normal' phone with a data plan. Do the math...

• A 450m/month plan on AT&T is $40/month. Regardless of whether it's a free & simple 'normal' phone, a Blackberry, or an iPhone. $40/month.
  • The iPhone's data plan is $30/month.
  • A 'normal' phone's unlimited data plan (which gives you WAP pages - yay) is $15/month.
  • 200 Text messages cost $5/month on either.

So the cheapest iPhone plan is going to run you $75/month; 450m, unlimited data, 200 txt messages. The same plan on a free 'normal' phone will cost you $60/month. 450m, unilimted data, 200 txt messages. You can scale the minutes or text messages up or down as much as you want. The iPhone is always $15/month more than the 'normal' phone.

I would definitely say that the connected usefulness of my iPhone is worth an extra $15/month compared to what internet browsing and email (never mind everything else, like streaming radio, etc) is like on a 'normal' phone.

And if you compare the iPhone plans to Blackberry, Palm, or WindowsMobile plans, they're exactly the same. Unlimited data, +$30/month. 200 text, $5/month. You're always going to pay that.

And if you get a Gen1 iPhone, the data plan is only $20/month, and that *includes* 200 text messages. Making it the same price per month as a simple phone w/ a data plan + text. $15 less than all of the other PDA-phones.

Now we can certainly argue that AT&T's rates are too high in general (indeed, charging for text messages is stupid, as SMS messaging is part of how GSM phones work), but that problem is not unique to the iPhone. ;\)

Posted By: Ken.C Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 05:24 PM
You make a good point. I suspect the Touches may be subsidized by iPhones or something like.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 05:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
You make a good point. I suspect the Touches may be subsidized by iPhones or something like.

You could be right. I could also just be a marketing trick.

I know of two people who bought a Touch and were happy with it until they used an iPhone. And had a, "you mean it's just like my Touch *AND* it makes phone calls," moment and subsequently bought an iPhone. Double score for Apple. ;\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 06:35 PM
You got my point Peter. And I like your point about Apple looking for extra sales with those that have a touch and then decide to 'upgrade' to the iPhone.

But an iPhone isn't for me unless I can pay that $200-300 (like a Touch) for it and go without a plan, I barely use 10 minutes/month. It would be nice to have all the features of the iTouch and my barely used cell phone all in one unit.

Well, looks like I might get my wish, hopefully this will trickle through to the plans up here.
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/15957-Prepa...ivestories_week
Posted By: Rock_Head Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/22/09 06:52 PM
I have had a 16GB iTouch since they were first available. An iPhone would be my next choice. I'll have to wait for my Blackberry to crap out before investing in the iPhone. The iTouch is agreat device.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/23/09 02:19 AM
Sweet. Downloading it now. I loves me my new iPhone.
Posted By: CV Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/24/09 12:46 AM
My mom just bought an iPod Touch today. I'll have to play with it sometime.
Posted By: AdamP88 Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/24/09 02:10 AM
So it looks like the current version of Bebot doesn't sync with the iTunes library, though you can go into the iPod, start a song, and then bring up BeBot. It's also a lot trickier to play than that guy made it look.
Posted By: CV Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/24/09 02:26 AM
 Originally Posted By: AdamP88
It's also a lot trickier to play than that guy made it look.

Grrr.... I hate guys who make things look easy.
Posted By: CV Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/25/09 05:29 PM
My mom was wondering what a good place to buy iPod accessories would be. Anyone have a recommendation?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I've never wanted an iPhone more - 05/25/09 06:08 PM
Amazon.
© Axiom Message Boards