Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol Anyone out there know of a good keylogger? - 11/09/09 05:35 AM
My wife has a really good friend who is really having some marital problems. Her husband has been secretly meeting a 19 year old girl on a regular basis. While he seems to have an excuse for why they are meeting, my wife's friend is pretty sure that there is more going on than he is admitting. He even has a naked picture of the 19 year old on his cell phone.

Anyway, she is wanting to keep track of his online chatting and facebook stuff, so I got asked about it. I clearly said that I would like to help, but I don't want to get too tangled into all of this. She is a very nice lady, and a great friend of my wife's otherwise I would steer clear.

Anyway, I think that a good Keylogger program would let her find out everything that he is doing online, but there seem to be a lot of them out there, and at $50+ a shot, you can't really just "pick one" and hope for the best.

I know that some people use these for tracking their kids' activities, or maybe had some other need for one, so I am asking here if anyone knows of a good Keylogger that I could recommend to her.

Thanks!
 Quote:
He even has a naked picture of the 19 year old on his cell phone

I would think that this is reason enough to confirm any suspicions!
She should get herself a lawyer at this point. If trust has broken down to the point that she's resorting to a keylogger to find out what's really happening instead of confronting him with her suspicions, then I have a feeling that marriage is not long for this world.

Lawyer up.
Posted By: Murph Re: Anyone out there know of a good keylogger? - 11/09/09 03:07 PM
I agree. There is no valid excuse for a picture like that on his cell phone.

If I knew you in person, I'd probably stay out of this but since Internet anonymity makes for guilt free intrusions into peoples' private lives, here is one product that hides away and does the job for free.

KGB Key Logger

Be careful if you go searching for other free solutions. There are a lot of free 'security' programs that are actually trojans to infiltrate your PC. CNet is a reputable sight and this software used to be trojon free so I'm sure it's safe, but with any downloaded shareware, you have to be aware of the risks.

Sadly, I know way to much about this stuff from my old position. No personal experience, thankfully.

Many keyloggers, even when designed for "legitimate" purposes, do get flagged as malware by virus scanning software. So it is hard to install one and not have a person notice the antivirus software complaining.
How about a hardware keylogger instead?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/c49f/

No chance for AV software to pick it up. And no chance of the keylogger software itself being malicious. Simple & straightforward, so long as her husband is using a desktop computer...

I agree with PM. If they can't talk about it like rational adults, then it's probably time for your friend to call a lawyer. Even if she's not ready to divorce him today, your friend probably ought to consult an attorney to find out what she can & should be doing to gather evidence. For instance, it could be that installing a keylogger is illegal in your state (I don't think they're illegal anywhere, but I dont' know...), so slapping one on her husband's PC might do more harm than good to her potential case. A local divorce attorney will know.
My advice to you is to stay out of other peoples drama. What has to happen here is some serious communication between these two individuals, difficult questions have be asked and answered about the woman on his cell phone. If they can't communicate with each other and she is resorting to a key logger because she does not trust him, the marriage has already failed.
Let me re(-re)-iterate that: If there's no trust, the marriage is seriously degraded. If both parties aren't invested in fixing it, then one or both of them should start preparing to part ways.
Posted By: Murph Re: Anyone out there know of a good keylogger? - 11/09/09 07:47 PM
KGB keylogger isn't picked up by AVG, Avast or McAffee's. Norton's = Yes. However, this may have changed since 4 months ago.

In any case, the advice to stay out of it is probably best. I simply answered a question. You probably just want this software as a backup measure because your UPS is broken and you need to protect the data you are entering..... ;\)
Whatever happened to the good old days of hiring a hit man to solve our irrational marital problems?

Posted By: RickF Re: Anyone out there know of a good keylogger? - 11/09/09 09:22 PM
I don't know how old this guy is but whenever I get around a young lady less than 25 I think to myself WinTF could I possibly have in common with that. A 52 year old coworker is married (fourth marriage) to a 29 year old woman with a couple of toe headed kids ... no way would I ever be crazy enough to put myself through that kind of misery, he says his two year old keeps him young. I'd be like just eff'n shoot me in the head right now.

Toe headed? Lol!

Is that anything like "slack jawed"?
Posted By: RickF Re: Anyone out there know of a good keylogger? - 11/09/09 10:29 PM
I goofed Adrian, that should actually read *tow* headed kids. I didn't notice that until you mentioned it but I'm old and cannot think clearly at times ... which, come to think of it might very well be why some of the older types go for the not-so-bright but oh so physically well proportioned younger women. ;\)
I think "toe headed" sounds better.

Actually I've never heard the expression, that's why I thought it was funny....toe/tow headed!!... \:D
Posted By: RickF Re: Anyone out there know of a good keylogger? - 11/09/09 10:44 PM
Whenever I first heard it (thank you Drive By Truckers, 'The Righteous Path') my thought was that they were talking about kids in tow or maybe a reference to the looks of a baby's head to that of a big toe (again, I'm old and thing strange things at times) but was told it's actually in reference to fair haired or almost white hair on kids.
 Originally Posted By: richeydog
Whatever happened to the good old days of hiring a hit man to solve our irrational marital problems?

Best answer yet!

I agree with the general consensus here the more and more that I think about it. I will point her in the right direction of a keylogger, but also tell her to "lawyer up" as it was so wonderfully put.

This guy has always been an a$$, and she is just wanting to know if he is flirting, or sleeping with this 19 year old. If he is "flirting" then she is willing to tough it out (so she says) until the kids are grown, but man, that it going to be 15 years before the youngest is 18.

It is easy for me to say "dump the guy" but I am not in the situation, and I know that many, many times the woman will "deal with" a problem because of the kids...
Posted By: Ajax Re: Anyone out there know of a good keylogger? - 11/10/09 12:11 PM
 Originally Posted By: RickF
...I'm old and cannot think clearly at times ...
You're singing my song again.
I can't think clearly now, my brain is gone.
But I do see that I don't have my pants.

Posted By: Zarak Re: Anyone out there know of a good keylogger? - 11/11/09 12:07 PM
The pants comment reminds me of a funny story. I was in a nursing home years ago as a kid visiting my great grandmother. I remember walking down the hall with my family to get to her room. A bunch of the residents/patients were in the hallway. They pretty much all had physical and/or mental problems at this point in their lives. Anyway, we walk by a door along the hallway that is for the community bathroom. This old woman is opens the door up partway, sticks her head out, and says to me, "Hey Sonny, give me your pants!"
© Axiom Message Boards