Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Zarak Is USB 3.0 worth it? - 12/02/09 01:07 AM
I'm looking at parts for a new computer I'm thinking of building. One of the new things I came across is USB 3.0 support. I'm looking at this Gigabyte MB which supports it.

I'm wondering though, is USB 3.0 worth it? I expect to have this machine for 5 years or so, so I'm thinking of getting a MB with it just for futureproof reasons. I'm not sure how much I'll need USB 3 though, as it is hard to look that far ahead. There are only a couple of MB's that do USB3, especially ones under $200, so I'm limiting my options if I decide this is a feature I want.
Posted By: CV Re: Is USB 3.0 worth it? - 12/02/09 04:14 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. You can always get an add-on card if enough USB 3.0 devices that you want surface. I'm also going to be looking at motherboards that include it, but it's definitely not going to be a deciding factor for me when I have no idea what devices are going to really benefit from it.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Is USB 3.0 worth it? - 12/02/09 06:58 AM
 Originally Posted By: CV
I have no idea what devices are going to really benefit from it.
Flash drives being the first thing to come to mind that would really benefit from it, possibly printers, network connections(3g, 4g air cards etc.), printers; pretty much the same stuff using 2.0 now.
Posted By: CV Re: Is USB 3.0 worth it? - 12/02/09 07:42 AM
Oh, yeah, I suppose flash drives would be the main ones. I rarely ever use mine, so I didn't think of it.
© Axiom Message Boards