Axiom Home Page
Perhaps of interest to the Jazz fans, I just read a paper article (sorry no links) while eating lunch that Blue Note Records is going to remaster all of their Van Gelder crafted records in a tribute to the esteemed recording engineer.

Hopefully, their re-mixing formula will do him justice.
Interesting. I have some recent Blue Note cd remasters of Wayne Shorter and Herbie Hancock that were overseen by Rudy Van Gelder.

Is this something different/newer than that?

Blue Note 180 gram vinyl lps are some beautiful sounding records.
I couldn't find any matching announcement on Bluenote or otherwise, so I typed the exact first sentence of the coffee shop newsletter announcement into Google and it returned an article posted by a local music store promoting the recent undertaking of Gelder remastering classic albums for CD release.
The article can be found for a while, Here.

It seems to be a direct condensation of This much longer article.

I think it's mostly just a bit of promo for the record shops web page that made it into the coffee shop newsletter as the arts community is a pretty tight knit group around here. That being said, if you go Here at Blue Note Records, you will indeed find a 'collection' of Van Gelder classic CDs remastered and re-released as early as 2009 and back.

Let's just hope that "re-mastered for CD" doesn't mean compressed and stripped of all dynamics.
 Originally Posted By: Murph
I couldn't find any matching announcement on Bluenote or otherwise, so I typed the exact first sentence of the coffee shop newsletter announcement into Google and it returned an article posted by a local music store promoting the recent undertaking of Gelder remastering classic albums for CD release.
The article can be found for a while, Here.

It seems to be a direct condensation of This much longer article.

I think it's mostly just a bit of promo for the record shops web page that made it into the coffee shop newsletter as the arts community is a pretty tight knit group around here. That being said, if you go Here at Blue Note Records, you will indeed find a 'collection' of Van Gelder classic CDs remastered and re-released as early as 2009 and back.

Let's just hope that "re-mastered for CD" doesn't mean compressed and stripped of all dynamics.

I have yet to listen to any CD with Rudy Van Gelder's name on it that was not a first rate recording. He is not going to let the sound quality suck!
Oh and thanks for sharing the atricle, Murph! Very interesting.
© Axiom Message Boards