Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson I is in Love! - 01/21/10 12:53 AM
Got an email from Lexus today regarding their new LFA:

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 12:57 AM
Lex-us sounds a bit like Lex-icon... Are you sure it's not just a new chassis over a complete VW Beetle?
Congratulations!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 01:02 AM
Are the gonna give you one as a free demo?
Posted By: RickF Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 01:10 AM
Beautiful car Mark ... great taste!

Wife and I were at the grocery store the other day and was checking out an Aston Martin DB9 in the parking lot. If I had an extra $200k one of those jewels would sitting in my garage, it was one of the most gorgeous cars I've seen in quite some time and the attention to detail was simply amazing.

Posted By: ClubNeon Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 01:15 AM
Yeah, nice car. Wouldn't be bad in the $50-60k range. Too bad it's $375,000!!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 01:15 AM
If I had an extra 200k, my mortgage's days would be numbered. I guess I'm no fun.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 01:59 AM
Rick, that Aston Martin is the OTHER best looking car out there! \:\)
Posted By: Worfzara Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 02:04 AM
Ya Rick, that is my dream car too. The DB9 or a DBs, I'm not picky. It has real class (not just because it is a Bond car either) and lots of guts.

I'll take this one over just about any other exotic car.

Paul
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 02:09 AM
I think DB9 is obsolete. USB is much better for serial connections!
Posted By: duckman Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 02:10 AM
A few years back,(10 maybe?) A salvage lot in Kansas city had a db7 that could've been bought for 60-75k. Of course it was killed. Probably needed 25k in parts to fix. The place had it for a couple years, started out asking 90k, they were down to 75k when they went out of business.

Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Yeah, nice car. Wouldn't be bad in the $50-60k range. Too bad it's $375,000!!!

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 04:19 AM

If I were to lose my mind, I'd get rid of the S2000, and get one of these. Always one of my favorites.
Posted By: Murph Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 03:23 PM
Beauty of a car Mark. It is a very space age design but nicely blended with enough classic styles to appeal to everyone.

Pop out of that baby with your fancy camera in hand and I'm sure you'll get to the front of the line at any celebrity gathering you choose to crash.

Well, that or they beat the crap out of you because they think you are Paparazzi who has become way too successful from sneaking indecent celeb photos.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 08:04 PM
The LFA looks similar to, but much nicer than the Nissan GTR IMO. The soundtrack of that V10 is the best I've heard since Porsche stopped building the Carrera GT.
Posted By: audiosavant Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 08:55 PM
(drool...)
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 09:06 PM
Speaking of great engine sounds and Porches; I think they need a faster chase car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Xl0i4uNGU

Funny thing is, I have the engine which Mazda is using in the test Furai sitting in storage: http://20bvert.com/media/DSCF0012.JPG
Posted By: Adrian Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 09:57 PM
Yeah, if they seriously wanted to film the Mazda at speed they should have put a camera in a GT1, 962 or even a race prepped GT3 rather than plunk what looks like an Imax camera on the hood of an early street GT3, LOL!
Posted By: audiosavant Re: I is in Love! - 01/21/10 11:33 PM
Since I am of Italian heritage, I must say that my "peoples" have always made the finest cars in the world. End of story.

But knowing how impractical a Lambo would be as a daily driver, I've ruled them out.

German cars are pretty awesome, but I'm hoping to purchase a slightly used Nisson 370Z this year, if finances allow.

It's ironic that now I can easily afford the car of my teenage dreams, The Porsche 911.

Of course, that is, if I get a 1980 Porsche 911 Carrera!!! \:\(
Posted By: BigHonu Re: I is in Love! - 01/22/10 12:15 AM
All great looking cars! I do think the DB's are some of the best looking cars out there. My dream car is the Audi R8 or a 60's Shelby Mustang GT500.
Posted By: jakewash Re: I is in Love! - 01/22/10 06:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: BigHonu
60's Shelby Mustang GT500.
Now we are talking cars, although the new versions are that much better at everything. My dream car is a 427 AC Cobra, ok not much of a car more an engine with wheels \:\)
Posted By: BigHonu Re: I is in Love! - 01/22/10 06:50 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Now we are talking cars, although the new versions are that much better at everything. My dream car is a 427 AC Cobra, ok not much of a car more an engine with wheels \:\)

I do like the new versions as well, but only because Ford took the styling of the latest generation Mustang back to its roots. Can't beat the originals IMHO.

The Cobra is another classic I admire as well!
Posted By: jakewash Re: I is in Love! - 01/22/10 11:48 PM
I agree 100% the original designs are the best. I wonder if they will bring back the Mustang II, obviously just the lift back version, at some point as it did have a following too.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I is in Love! - 01/23/10 12:16 AM
My first dream car was a '67 427 Corvette, then after high school it became a 427 Cobra, so naturally when I could afford it I bought a European Spec Porsche 930.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I is in Love! - 01/23/10 01:15 AM
Well, at least Ford proved completely incompetent at beating the originals.
Posted By: michael_d Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 06:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash

OK Jay, get away from MY dream car!!! They didn't make enough for both of us.

I did drive a new GT500 last summer. Very fun car. It took a great deal of restraint to not go into debt and buy it. If I had my choice of cars in the 50K range, a slightly used Z06 still gets my vote. The Z06 is considerably funner to drive than the GT500. I prefer the LS7 over the ZR1's 6.2 any day of the week.
That has to be the best looking Lexus I've seen Mark. I had no idea they were coming out with that. What's it going to cost?

Sigh.....enough dreaming and back to work.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 06:21 PM
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
What's it going to cost?

Probably a couple of nights in the slammer! ;\)

Seriously, for the same coin, you could buy all of the cars you mentioned, and still have enough money for an ice cream.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 06:27 PM
$375K, I think I saw earlier in this thread.

In other words, more than a Lambo.
Posted By: Murph Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 06:35 PM
The most fun I ever had in a car was driving a tricked out Nissan Skyline. It felt like it had at least 350 or more horses and I don't mind admitting that I didn't feel comfortable enough in my driving skills to let it 100% loose. Tempted, but an accident would have been a major loss due to the circumstances. See below.

Besides it's speed and the freakiness created by it being a right hand drive car, it was the "most" fun because it shouldn't even have been legally on the road as it just came off a container along with a couple of other cars my buddy was importing. The lift axle on the flatbed he was going to haul them with refused to raise so we decide to drive them back to his place rather than risk leaving them where they were (guaranteed stolen) so it was kind of a Cannonball Run experience. Stupid Yes, but it all worked out and my life is a bit richer for it.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 06:38 PM
The most fun I ever had was in a 1980 Pontiac Grand Prix. ;\)
Posted By: Murph Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 06:39 PM
We are not talking about back seat shenanigans Adrian. snicker.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 06:55 PM
I think the most fun I ever had driving was when I test drove a Mercedes S600 (V12!) in Las Vegas on a small test track set up with cones in an empty parking lot. Nothing to crash in to, I really let the sucker loose and pushed its anti-skid technology to the limit. The best part was that my then boss was in the back seat without his seatbelt on. \:\)

A close second was when I rented a Dodge Viper for Ken's bachelor party. I was the second driver on the rental agreement and it was a blast driving it the 40 miles back to the rental place. Especially when I left a cloud of smoke leaving the toll gate on the Dumbarton Bridge. \:\)
Posted By: jakewash Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 08:51 PM
I was asked to do some work on a Viper, so I HAD to go for a test drive, it is a brute of a car.

Most fun I have ever had driving a car was when I won some time with a racing school and we went to the local racetrack and ran around in some modified RX-7s.
Posted By: RickF Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 09:00 PM
I drove a friend's new Z06 a little while back, we did go to a smaller road course and he let me loose with it (was truly a blast!) ... that about adds up to my total high performance automobile driving time, unless my old mid 70s Pinto station wagon counts?
Posted By: Adrian Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 09:02 PM
One car I wouldn't mind driving/building is an Ultima GTR, kind of a Porsche 962CR knockoff, but with (usually) a SBC with a Porsche G50 trans. Scary fast!!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 10:31 PM
I'd love to take an Ariel Atom for spin. I'm not sure I'd fit in one, though. \:\(
Posted By: Adrian Re: I is in Love! - 01/25/10 10:42 PM
That would be pretty cool, or a V8 powered Caterham. I also like the T-Rex from Campagna Motors. I saw one of these last year, pretty awesome but also rather pricey at $50G +.
Posted By: michael_d Re: I is in Love! - 01/26/10 05:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: audiosavant
Since I am of Italian heritage, I must say that my "peoples" have always made the finest cars in the world. End of story.

But knowing how impractical a Lambo would be as a daily driver, I've ruled them out.

German cars are pretty awesome, but I'm hoping to purchase a slightly used Nisson 370Z this year, if finances allow.
\:\(

I think the latest 1200 hp, all US built Shelby Ultimate Aero pop's this bubble. It holds the world record for fastest production car. It took the record from a Sweedish built car. And it's only 650K.

http://www.shelbysupercars.com/ultimate-aero.php

http://www.koenigsegg.com/index.php?menu=home
Posted By: CatBrat Re: I is in Love! - 01/26/10 05:57 PM
Considering Lambo's. I remember having a conversation back in the 1970's with someone who's dad always wanted one. So eventually he bought a new one and it turned out to be the biggest POS he ever seen. Definitely a lemon. Ever since that time, I've been leery of Italian cars.
Posted By: Adrian Re: I is in Love! - 01/26/10 10:27 PM
Lambo's are generally known more for their radical looks than their driving experience when compared to some of the other exotic cars, although I believe Audi has improved them a lot. When I shopped around for a nice sports/exotic car years ago, a dealer who carried just about everything from A-Z told me to be wary of the Italian exotics as they were very temperamental and prone to very expensive/frequent breakdowns. I guess that's why so many owners just drive them up and down their driveways \:D .

On a different note, there's always a pissing contest as to what is the fastest car. Who knows what "production car" or "street legal" mean anymore? For instance, there are 'Tuner' companies like Ruff who actually get their own serial numbers(not considered a Porsche anymore), so does this make it a production car? What about 9FF ? would a Sledgehammer corvette pass an emissions test?

Personally, the whole fastest(top speed) thing seems kind of pointless to me....afterall Bernd Rosemeyer and Rudolf Caracciola (275 mph/268 mph)were going faster than all of these cars on public roads more than 70 years ago.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: I is in Love! - 01/26/10 10:42 PM
Italian and reliable? lol, that's like saying Volkwagens have the worlds best electrical engineers.

I'd still take an F-car over anything made today, no questions asked... In Coupe form, anyway. Not a convertible fan really. The F430 Scuderia is just a marvelous machine. I'll take Tour de France Blue with the gunmetal wheels and black calipers, please! Heck, I think I may even settle for the Rosso Corsa which is super common if I had to.

Edit: If you've ever seen the "Ultimate Factories" episode on the Ferrari factory in Maranello... Just unbelievable. It's on ever few months so just DVR it.

© Axiom Message Boards