Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ya_basta Computer network help please - 01/29/10 08:19 PM
Hey guys, I just purchased an all in one Epson printer, and it came with a Linksys wireless router. The installation went very smooth, but the networking software that came with the router isn't working properly. Whenever I open "Network Magic" I can't click on anything, and when I attempt to, the program isn't responding so I have to close it.

I'm running Windows 7, and I was wondering if there is even any need for third party networking software. If I uninstall it, which I think is my only option, is it easy to configure your network via Windows? I'm new to the networking thing.

Thank you very much,
Cam
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Computer network help please - 01/29/10 09:19 PM
What exactly are you trying to accomplish with your network?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer network help please - 01/29/10 09:29 PM
I would guess that you don't need any networking software. David's on point, though. What are you trying to achieve?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 01/29/10 09:45 PM
Right now I only have my printer connected wirelessly, and I'm going to keep my computer wired. The only additions to the network that I can foresee would be my Zune (pretty sure I can connect it) and my home theater downstairs. I don't have multiple computers or an extensive network. I'm willing to purchase networking software, as long as it works properly and is affordable.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer network help please - 01/29/10 09:47 PM
You don't need networking software at all. All of those items contain all the of the software you need. You can easily connect your Zune and your HT to your wireless, and honestly, that software wouldn't help with doing that.

All you need is your wireless network's name and password. Maaaaybe the type of password (I would bet a lot that it's WPA or WPA2)
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 01/29/10 10:22 PM
Thanks Ken. When I'm adding devices via Windows, do I just do it through the control panel? I would assume it's fairly easy. I'll give it a try on my own, and report back if I need some assistance.

Oh yes, you bet right, it's WPA2 \:\) .

Thanks again.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer network help please - 01/29/10 10:29 PM
Well, you're not really adding devices through windows, you're using those devices' interfaces to add them to the network.

Once they're on the network, use whatever Windows programs that interface with them (Likely WMP or the Zune software, or whatever) to, well, interface with them.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 01/29/10 10:37 PM
Great, I've tried removing it three times, and it's doing the exact same thing. I can't click on the "OK" button to uninstall it because it's "not responding".

Unbelievable!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 01/29/10 10:58 PM
Just rebooted and it successfully uninstalled.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Computer network help please - 01/29/10 11:20 PM
Hah, that sounds familiar
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 03:39 AM
When in doot, reboot.

(That is how Canadians pronounce doubt, right?)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 03:40 AM
I thought it was more like doat, reboat.

EDIT: Nah, probably not.
Posted By: madjak Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 03:53 AM
Hi all,

Let me give you guys a guaranteed fix for any computer software problem on a Windows machine.

It is guaranteed to solve all computer software problems, every time without fail.

The command is Fdisk. It blows away your disk partitions.

No Software, no Problems.

If you really must have software, try installing Linux or the Mac OS. Both have come a really long way and neither OS is targeted anywhere near as much by viruses etc (although you should still have something protecting you. Unprotected internet access is synonymous with unsafe sex).

And if accessing MS office documents and making changes is a concern, you can get Office for the Mac, or you can download Openoffice for free which will do just about anything a home user would want (in fact many businesses use it now too).

Honestly, the only windows I have at home that is owned by me are the ones with curtains around them.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 04:03 AM
You're a real well-balanced bloke. You've got a chip on both shoulders.

(I just found that on an aussie "polite insults" site. \:\) )

There's no reason to insult the man's choice of OS. It's a simple fact that there are far better options for voice dictation software -- which Cam requires -- available for Windows than for either Mac or linux.
Posted By: madjak Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 10:12 AM
pmbuko.

Thanks for calling me out on that one. Now that I read my post, I can see how it comes across.

Wheels999,

I am sorry if I offended your choice of OS. It was not my intention at all.

I simply forgot to add that software compatibility was a factor too.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 12:42 PM
Hey Cam,
An Epson all-in-one came with the laptop I just purchased. There was a little slip with big red letters stating not to use the included software with Windows 7. I downloaded the updated driver and scanning software from Epson, and everything works great. I love being able to send a print job via WiFi from any of our computers.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 02:11 PM
No worries Madjak.

Just a half hour ago I had someone on my computer controlling my trackball and then my pc froze. I rebooted and installed Zonealarm pro trial (which I've been very happy with in the past}. Is this instance common with networks?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 02:26 PM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
No worries Madjak.

Just a half hour ago I had someone on my computer controlling my trackball and then my pc froze. I rebooted and installed Zonealarm pro trial (which I've been very happy with in the past}. Is this instance common with networks?

Not common with networks per se, unless you suspect it is coming from within your network. More than likely it is originating from outside of your network and would have happened as long as you were connected to the internet, even if your PC was the only device in your home.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 02:35 PM
I'm on broadband and always connected. I've never had that happen before.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 03:18 PM
I'm on broadband and always connected. I've never had that happen before.

No, because it is not very common. This is assuming of course that the problem is indeed someone from outside gaining control of your trackball, which may not actually be the case.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 04:07 PM
I assume the remote control was consensual. I doubt this was related to your network.

Consider that if you're online, you're on a network in any case--it just happens to be a very large one, and you're likely to be partially firewalled off from it.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Computer network help please - 01/30/10 06:12 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I assume the remote control was consensual. I doubt this was related to your network.

Consider that if you're online, you're on a network in any case--it just happens to be a very large one, and you're likely to be partially firewalled off from it.

Oh, my mistake then. I assumed it was not consensual since the OP seemed concerned and then followed by installing Zone Alarm.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 01/31/10 03:47 PM
Nope, not consensual, someone was controlling my trackball.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer network help please - 01/31/10 03:53 PM
If someone was really remote controlling your computer without your permission, that is a very unusual thing. Most people are quite content to quietly go behind your back and install fun things to scrape credit card numbers, set up your computer as a spam server, or various other nefarious stuff.
Posted By: CV Re: Computer network help please - 01/31/10 06:19 PM
Nope, not consensual, someone was controlling my trackball.

What did you do to Teri?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 01/31/10 08:38 PM
Charles, you are something else LOL.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 03/07/10 09:36 PM
Has anyone had any problems with Linksys routers or their drivers? Prior to hooking up and installing the drivers for the wireless router, my computer would run perfectly fine. Now that I have the router hooked up and drivers installed, my computer freezes and crashes with BSOD's all the time. I've even done a fresh install of Windows 7 (I was running the release candidate) but I'm experiencing the same time.

I'm about ready to do another fresh install and go back to a direct connection. I am, after all, only using the wireless utility for my printer anyway.

Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Computer network help please - 03/07/10 10:08 PM
You shouldn't have to install any drivers (or anything at all) when you use a router of any kind. Remove the router software and just use the Windows wireless connection.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 03/07/10 10:16 PM
I did remove the router software Ken, as I couldn't even run it successfully, but I'm still encountering problems. Do you think it's possible that it has left stuff behind, thus causing a conflict?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Computer network help please - 03/07/10 10:23 PM
Are you getting the BSOD constantly? Surfing the net, running apps, or even when idling?

If the router is connected still and you get BSOD then I'd remove it and make a direct connection before any other changes. If your suspicion of left over "stuff" from the router driver/software (which is never required) is the culprit then you should still get BSOD even with direct connection. See what happens.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 03/07/10 10:28 PM
Thanks fof the suggestion, I actually just thought of that myself. I'll give it a try and see what happens. I'll report back if something happens or in a couple days if nothing happens \:\) .
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Computer network help please - 03/11/10 05:21 PM
You got everyting working now?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Computer network help please - 03/11/10 06:54 PM
Sorry dude, I get sidetracked, but thanks for checking in. Things are much better, although I'm not using the wireless router right now. It's still freezes and I get a BSOD, but the error has something to do with my video card, as there are other people with the same problem. It seems to only crash when I'm listening to streaming radio. I'm going to post my issue on the EVGA forum to see if anyone can help me out; my video card and motherboard are EVGA.

Thanks,
Cam
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Computer network help please - 03/11/10 07:09 PM
No worries, saw you around so I assumed all was well and was curious where the issue was.
© Axiom Message Boards