Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Argon Women's Downhill - 02/18/10 03:41 AM
Brutal.....
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Women's Downhill - 02/18/10 06:02 AM
I hear ya. That was painful to watch those ladies crash so hard.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Women's Downhill - 02/18/10 06:57 AM
 Originally Posted By: nickbuol
I hear ya. That was painful to watch those ladies crash so hard.

Yep, those crashes were crazy. Especially the one who launched herself on the final jump near the finish line. Man she got some big air and really could have gotten messed up. Thankfully she landed on her feet.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Women's Downhill - 02/18/10 12:35 PM
Yea! Let's hear it for Lindsey Vonn and Julia Mancuso! They had some fantastic runs on an extremely scary course. And while we are talking Olympics...did anyone see Shaun White's two halfpipe runs last night? It is enjoyable to see someone try their hardest tricks and nail them all. All three of these athletes have such tremendous courage.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Women's Downhill - 02/18/10 03:18 PM
Yeah, I enjoyed the Olympics last night. I usually consider myself a citizen of the world, but I gotta say - USA kicked butt.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Women's Downhill - 02/18/10 07:35 PM
Yes indeed, go USA. And thanks to our Canadian friends for hosting the games in such a beautiful place. I've always wanted to visit Vancouver, and these games have pretty much sealed the deal that I've just *got* to do so sometime. Some of the HD flyovers of the city, mountains, ocean, etc have got us itching to book a trip. \:\)

Originally Posted By: davidsch
. . . And while we are talking Olympics...did anyone see Shaun White's two halfpipe runs last night? It is enjoyable to see someone try their hardest tricks and nail them all.

It was incredible. Even to someone like myself who is ignorant of things snowboarding, it was pretty clear that he absolutely dominated the field. He seemed to bend the laws of physics. He also seems to be a pretty cool guy, and pretty down-to-earth for the level of fame & money that he has.

However, I'm not sure how I feel about the whole paid-for-by-Red-Bull private half-pipe. I mean, it's pretty cool and all, but it seems slightly unfair to the other 'boarders who don't have such a luxury.

Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Women's Downhill - 02/18/10 08:35 PM
Our Canadian snowboarder that was in the final, is probably the most soulful individual of them all. He's extremely energy and environmentally conscious, running everywhere, and even walking up the hill when he can, rather than taking the lift.

I have more respect and admiration for him because of this, rather than someone that can spin a bunch of times, and owns a Lamborghini (I don't think he can drive yet).

I'm not downplaying his skill, I think he is amazing, just not as good as our Canadian snowboarder in the grand scheme of things.

Just me peeling back the layers.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Women's Downhill - 02/18/10 11:31 PM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
Just me peeling back the layers.
Dude... put the layers back on... or at least close the door before you do that!

Bren R.
Posted By: Argon Re: Women's Downhill - 02/19/10 12:17 AM
The Finlanders were no slouches - and the faceplant the Japanese guy did - My immediate comment was "that's gonna leave a mark"....
Posted By: Argon Re: Women's Downhill - 02/19/10 12:18 AM
AND....about the women's downhill one other one word comment.....awesome...
Posted By: Murph Re: Women's Downhill - 02/19/10 07:17 PM
Silly sports fans. The only medals that really count come from Hockey.

Truly though, it's been a very entertaining Olympics so far. I wonder if having so few events compared to the gigabillion different summer Olympics events helps one to keep focus.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Women's Downhill - 02/19/10 07:29 PM
Keep focus on what?
Posted By: medic8r Re: Women's Downhill - 02/19/10 08:24 PM
:scribbles into Cam's file, prepares Ritalin Rx:
Posted By: davew Re: Women's Downhill - 02/19/10 09:17 PM
 Originally Posted By: Murph
The only medals that really count come from Hockey.

But who to root for? I've got four players from my home NHL team playing for Canada but only one playing on team USA. Do you root for the players and the game in general? I think I've got to go with team USA. But then, again, how can you not root for Canada?

-Dave
Posted By: Adrian Re: Women's Downhill - 02/19/10 10:08 PM
I'm rooting for the underdogs, the referees.
Posted By: Argon Re: Women's Downhill - 02/21/10 02:32 PM
I'm rooting for booting the pros out of the Olympics and getting back to the amateur days.
Posted By: fredk Re: Women's Downhill - 02/21/10 04:35 PM
 Originally Posted By: Argon
I'm rooting for booting the pros out of the Olympics and getting back to the amateur days.

Now that the entire world exports its best players to the NHL, it might then turn into another round of the world juniors.

In the bad old days, we had to watch as the leftovers from the NHL draft took on the best of the rest of the world. I'm not saying the amateurs of the past were not talented, just not nearly the best we had to offer.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Women's Downhill - 02/21/10 05:41 PM
Here's an interesting article on which country is leading the real medal count.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Women's Downhill - 02/21/10 06:34 PM
There is far to much "X games" influence in the winter Olympics imo. Snowboarding? why not add surfing or water skiing to the summer Olympics then?
Posted By: CV Re: Women's Downhill - 02/21/10 06:36 PM
Or at least a swimsuit competition.
Posted By: fredk Re: Women's Downhill - 02/21/10 09:03 PM

Interesting. I doubt anybody would challenge that the American who won the mens half pipe won it on bias, but its a reasonable point. Anything that becomes sufficiently valuable is corruptable.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Women's Downhill - 02/21/10 09:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
Or at least a swimsuit competition.

Where do I apply to be judge!! \:D
Posted By: Argon Re: Women's Downhill - 02/22/10 12:37 PM
 Originally Posted By: fredk

Interesting. I doubt anybody would challenge that the American who won the mens half pipe won it on bias, but its a reasonable point. Anything that becomes sufficiently valuable is corruptable.

The article smacks a little of sour grapes to me. I like the human element. On the subject of amateurs (now I am going to sound like a curmudgeon) - what I had in mind was college athletes. That leads you to the conclusion that they should stay in college for 4 years and not go to the NHL or NBA early. While I'm at it......Placing plays under video review is ruining the "game" everywhere - no matter what the "game" is. Let's make sure that we stop the clock at the exact 1/100th of a second that the violation occurred. We might as well do away with game officials altogether. If a fight breaks out, we can have one of the Jetson's robots come out and separate the players.....ok...I am going for my second cup of coffee now..
Posted By: medic8r Re: Women's Downhill - 02/22/10 02:36 PM
 Originally Posted By: Argon
If a fight breaks out, we can have one of the Jetson's robots come out and separate the players ...

If it makes you feel any better, the robot could be dressed up in a white lab coat and rubber gloves.
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Women's Downhill - 02/26/10 02:47 PM
what's the deal of Julia Mancuso and that silly tiara? ...looks childish to me.. how old is she, 35?
Posted By: Murph Re: Women's Downhill - 02/26/10 05:00 PM
You are just grumpy because she closed down her online Lingerie shop for the duration of the the Olympics.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Women's Downhill - 02/26/10 05:07 PM
Wow, you're right, I hadn't heard. Thanks for the heads up, which led me to the all-powerful Google, which led me to this nugget, which contains a hot photo, which is why I got so excited that I can't stop saying "which", which I find simultaneously funny and annoying, and which apparently has caused one of my Bots to rise up and [post terminated by UberBot3000]
Posted By: fredk Re: Women's Downhill - 02/26/10 08:47 PM
 Quote:
So that the International Olympic Committee (IOC) does not get its panties in a wad,...

Too Funny! Donw worry though. The Canadian womens hockey team stepped in to fill the void.

Go Canada Go. Gold medal, pantie wadding. It wasn't even close...
© Axiom Message Boards