Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 08:39 PM
Food for thought:

USA = 32
Germany = 104
Norway = 1,104
Canada = 170
Russia = 39

Those Norwegians must eat their shreddies every morning!

It would be interesting to see the $ spent vs Medal count results. Not that thats relevant, this being an amateur competition and all...
Posted By: grunt Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 08:44 PM
Fred, could you post a link to the source. I’m curious if they are also accounting for non-native born athletes which is also a sore point for me when tallying national medal counts.
Posted By: fredk Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 08:51 PM
Sure. Source = Fred + Google + calc.exe

Somehow I don't think the worlds elite atheletes are flocking to Norway as a country of convenience. Trust me, I've been there in January...
I remember during the opening ceremonies, they stated Liechenstein had nine medals in it's history, and if you compared that to the US and the population difference, they should have something like 79,000 medals... lol
Posted By: grunt Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 08:56 PM
I’ve been to Norway too. Nice ladies but no palm trees so it’s a non-starter for me too.

My angle wasn’t that Norway’s numbers were so high but rather they might be higher if you adjust for athletes moving to countries like the U.S. and maybe Canada and W. Germany.

I’ve always thought national medal counts were sort of stupid when you see an Ethiopian or Kenyan running the marathon for the U.S. or a Nigerian running track for the U.K.
 Originally Posted By: grunt
Fred, could you post a link to the source. I’m curious if they are also accounting for non-native born athletes which is also a sore point for me when tallying national medal counts.

If you represent a country I am sure they count towards that country regardless of your origin.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 09:00 PM
I dunno, it goes both ways. There was an American swimming for Nigeria in 2008.
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I dunno, it goes both ways. There was an American swimming for Nigeria in 2008.

There is a Canadian mogulist representing Australia in these games, and an American Ski-crosser representing Canada... Probably many more but that is off the top of my head. We had Jamaican sprinters win gold for us a bunch of times.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 09:05 PM
Another point is that many athletes are trained in other countries, or trained by coaches from other countries. It's actually good to promote certain sports which would otherwise not get a foothold in some parts of the world although many times it comes down to $$, unfortunately.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 09:10 PM
So then the politically incorrect version of the Olympics would be race (not country) based?
Posted By: JaimeG Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 09:20 PM
 Quote:
So then the politically incorrect version of the Olympics would be race (not country) based?

Nah, it should be religion based. That way it would settle which side god(s) is/are?
Posted By: grunt Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 09:24 PM
 Originally Posted By: htnut

Well there is a reason that on average the best distance runners come from East Africa, sprinters come from West Africa, Swimmers (not counting Chinese on steroids) come from Northern Europe and it does have to do with race based physiology.

The Olympics is way to much like pro-sports these days, not to say it always hasn’t been to some degree especially in the larger countries. I’m more interested in some underdog from a little fly-over country who shines on the world stage despite being up against the athlete producing systems of some larger countries.

Hey Fred if you’re bored could you calculate the Olympic medal count vs GDP of countries. That would also be an interesting statistic.
What about the "Special" Olympics? If someone's wheelchair or prosthetic leg is manufactured in say China, but they want to represent say Canada, how is that right? Eh, eh?

Ponder that for a while .
Posted By: Adrian Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 09:25 PM
Or base it on the best looking competitor, that's more fair. ;\)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 09:30 PM
Hey Fred if you’re bored could you calculate the Olympic medal count vs GDP of countries. That would also be an interesting statistic.

Now that would be interesting.
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
What about the "Special" Olympics? If someone's wheelchair or prosthetic leg is manufactured in say China, but they want to represent say Canada, how is that right? Eh, eh?

Ponder that for a while .

lol, awesome
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 09:33 PM
LOL
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/26/10 09:34 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Or base it on the best looking competitor, that's more fair. ;\)

That wouldn't be more fair, but it would be more fun.
Posted By: fredk Re: Olympics, population adjusted medal count - 02/27/10 02:17 AM
That is so 60s. The new pollitically incorrect way would be to categorize by perforance enhancing drug of choice.
© Axiom Message Boards