Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:14 PM
My uncle (who lives in Star Valley, Wyoming) sent this email out to the family today:

-----

Hello,

For those who haven't yet heard, a house exploded in our neighborhood (about 300 yards from our home) at around 12:30 am of the day we were driving home. Apparently a gas explosion. Fortunately the owners were away for the weekend. Many homes in the area were significantly damaged. Thank god our home did not suffer any damage. Distance and local topology helped to deflect the shock wave. I've attached a few photos I just took of the place. We know the owners; the woman almost died from a large tumor last year. Now this...!

There used to be a large two story (plus basement) house here. I saw some wood and plywood sheets at last 100 yards away!

Debris across the sgreet.

Ditto

Used to be a basement. Those are concrete foundations.

Posted By: Potatohead Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:15 PM
That's is insane

I wonder what lit it?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:16 PM
OMG... is this for real? That is horrible.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:18 PM
Wow, that's scary. That's an insane amount of destruction.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:20 PM
I just noticed the intact propane canister in the lower middle of the first shot.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:21 PM
Seems like I've been worrying about the wrong type of explosion at my house, then. Propane tanks always make me a little nervous.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:22 PM
Whoa.
Posted By: RickF Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:27 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
I just noticed the intact propane canister in the lower middle of the first shot.
Yea, right next to the two spools of detonating cord ... Hmmmmmm?

That was quite the explosion, good thing nobody was home.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:28 PM
How does this happen? Is it caused by a gas leak then a pilot light or the furnace coming on ignite it?
Posted By: Redo Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:34 PM
Freakin' cool!
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:40 PM
Holy ____.

"Defective propane lines. "
Posted By: RickF Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 09:43 PM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat
How does this happen? Is it caused by a gas leak then a pilot light or the furnace coming on ignite it?

Didn't you ever watch the Bourne movies?

Magazine inserted into a turned on bread toaster then a gas line is ruptured in the house, whenever the magazine lights off the house goes up in a ball of flames ... EZPZ.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 10:05 PM
Very fortunate there weren't casualties. Could have been a faulty furnace/igniter with a gas buildup.
Posted By: Wid Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 10:08 PM

We do local gas company repairs when they have to shut down or change a service. This is more common than most would think. I can recall a few in this area just this past year.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 11:16 PM
We're getting a new natural gas water heater installed Saturday morning. If I'm not posting by Saturday night, my plumber made a mistake!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 11:24 PM
:::breaking news....NORAD claims it has seen a square shaped object about 12'x12' flying through the Northern Hemisphere at subsonic speeds....:::
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 11:28 PM
The object appears to be causing any music source within 1 mile to sound much worse.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 11:29 PM
Standing waves....WE'VE GOT STANDING WAVES!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 11:46 PM
Say, I wonder if this is how the first Borgs launched their spacecraft?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Total destruction - 03/04/10 11:49 PM
Nah, the Borg have smaller noses. And smaller ears.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 12:31 AM
And they don't like woodworking, either.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 12:32 AM
Wood. Is. Irrelevant.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 12:41 AM
::making the Home Alone face::
Posted By: Argon Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 01:08 PM
Clear and Present Danger. It was a cellulose smart bomb dropped from Colorado.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 02:53 PM
Ah, the phat bomb.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 04:11 PM
Wow! That's pretty incredible. Glad no one was hurt! I can just imagine coming home to find that...

"What the ... &@#$&#@!!"
Posted By: grunt Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 05:09 PM
I like how having the trees all around really adds to the overall effect of the pictures.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 10:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
I like how having the trees all around really adds to the overall effect of the pictures.

+1.

I noticed that too. The trees give a nice sense of depth and scale to the magnitude of the junk hurled from the explosion.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 10:54 PM
Especially since they catch some of the debris; always more powerful when you see your stuff hanging from up high...
Posted By: Potatohead Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 11:00 PM
lol

Insulation and vapor barrier, which was once contained underneath layers of drywall and siding, now 40 feet up in a tree = one hell of a bang
Posted By: bridgman Re: Total destruction - 03/05/10 11:42 PM
Glad everyone survived. I know it sounds awful, but I think this happens every couple of years in Toronto, and probably every other major (cold) city as well.

On a positive note, these are definitely the best pictures I have seen yet.
Posted By: a401classic Re: Total destruction - 03/07/10 01:15 AM
 Originally Posted By: CatBrat

Yep, or any ignition source - thermostat cycling on, for instance. Judging from the pics, I'd say they hit 14:1 air to fuel ratio on the money. Really good thing no one was home.

Scott
Posted By: rvrrat Re: Total destruction - 03/07/10 07:35 AM
Most of the time this is propane. It is heavier than air and will pool on the floor and build up. Natural gas is lighter than air and will vent up and disapate easier.
© Axiom Message Boards