Axiom Home Page
Posted By: MarkSJohnson The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 03:34 PM
For when you just need others to say, "yeah, I hate that too!"

It's becoming a real pet peeve of mine when you walk into a store and someone shouts hello from 20 feet away... There's no sincerity to it, it's said monotone. They were just told that it's their job. And half the time, it's a security guard at the door (such as at Best Buy) and I get the feeling what they're trying to say is: "Hey, you! The guy who just walked in! I'm saying something to you to make you aware of the fact that there's security at this here door. Yessir, there is".

I make pretend I don't hear them.

If someone sincerely says a welcome or hi... because they happen to be near you, that's a whole different story than someone standing at the door who has been told to just say it to each person as they walk in. Half the time, I'm barely even with the doorway, as if they can't wait to get it done and over with.

Grumble-grumble. I know, I know... "Hey you kids, get off my lawn".
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 03:36 PM
And all this time, I thought that they were just trying to project an image of being nice.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 03:43 PM
Totally agree. But I'd rather have an insincere "Hello," than be looking for a Home Center cart while the "greeter" is trying to sell me replacement windows...or anything.

It's as assaultive as having street people wash my windshiled @ NYC traffic lights.

And the next restaurant server who replies to a request with "No problem," is gonna get it. Unless they're Brazilian. And/or hot.
Posted By: michael_d Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 03:44 PM
I have the same feelings regarding the "how are you?" greeting. 90% of the time the person asking couldn't care less. Depending on my mood, I may respond with "not well, I have hemorrhoids" or something similar.

I have one particular pet peeve that is definitely at the top of my list. It is when someone uses all the TP and doesn't bother to put a new roll on. I make sure to give them instructions on how to put a new roll on in a manor that will never forget.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 03:45 PM
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson

I make pretend I don't hear them.

You ARE from N'wingland, aren't you?
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 03:47 PM
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
I make sure to give them instructions on how to put a new roll on in a manor that will never forget.

Sorry, but for that one we're gonna need details! (Camera phone shots would be helpful as well.)
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 03:49 PM
And just how big is that "manor" ?
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:07 PM
I agree with the "How are you" issue. Not a pet peeve, exactly, but it is annoying when it's insincere. Just say "Hello" or something else unless you really want to hear with some level of detail about how things are going for me.

I guess the things that come to mind for me are common grammar errors, like choosing the wrong option from your/you're, their/there/they're, base/bass, and to/too. It's/its is a little trickier, so I don't get as annoyed at those errors. But for the record, use the apostrophe for "It is", e.g. "It's too bad Michael has hemmorhoids," but not for the possessive, "The Preparation H has lost its potency."

I also can't help but notice certain misspelled words, e.g. separate. Remember, there's "a rat" in separate.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:15 PM
My pet peeve is threads where all people do is complain.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:26 PM
Left lane campers, rolling roadblocks, whatever you want to call them. For me, the most annoying and frustrating thing on the road.

Another one is people that ask you something, like a general question, or directions or something, and interrupt you with another question halfway through your answer.

Originally Posted By: medic8r
I agree with the "How are you" issue. Not a pet peeve, exactly, but it is annoying when it's insincere. Just say "Hello" or something else unless you really want to hear with some level of detail about how things are going for me.

I guess the things that come to mind for me are common grammar errors, like choosing the wrong option from your/you're, their/there/they're, base/bass, and to/too. It's/its is a little trickier, so I don't get as annoyed at those errors. But for the record, use the apostrophe for "It is", e.g. "It's too bad Michael has hemmorhoids," but not for the possessive, "The Preparation H has lost its potency."

Yes, and yes. With text messaging and what not it seems almost like people are using bad grammar on purpose.

Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
My pet peeve is threads where all people do is complain.

Quit complainin' about us complainin' \:D
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:28 PM
Think of it more as, inventing reasons to have a beer at the end of the day.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:29 PM
My pet pieve is mispellars.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:29 PM
WHUT?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:39 PM
I have a problem with people who don't like to be told how to spell and write correctly. Honestly, I have no idea why people don't like being told they're morons.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:48 PM
The it's/its thing actually has a rule. Pronouns are made possessive by adding just an s, no apostrophe.

its
hers
theirs

The thing I dislike is the phrase, "pet peeve".
Posted By: Potatohead Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:55 PM

Posted By: EFalardeau Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:56 PM
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Honestly, I have no idea why people don't like being told they're morons.

That's one thing we like about you!
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 04:59 PM
People thinking they're cool walking around with an iPhone or iPod or bragging about said purchases.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:02 PM
I have pet peeves about:

a) people who have pet peeves about iPods or iPhones,

b) people who have pet peeves about people who have pet peeves about iPods or iPhones,

c) people who have pet peeves about people who have pet peeves about people who have pet peeves about iPods or iPhones,

d) and people who don't enjoy recursion.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:05 PM
Apologists are another pet peeve of my mine.
Posted By: CV Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:10 PM
For a while at work, I was getting annoyed with people getting their garbage near the garbage cans, but not in it. Then they decided to show me just how good I had it by throwing their garbage away behind product on the shelves. Then they started just throwing their candy garbage on the ground, wherever they happened to be at the time in the storeroom. People having souls is a myth.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:10 PM
I'll bet we could agree on poorly recorded CDs and movies as a pet peeve.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:11 PM
In other news, I like puppies, baseball, and the good ol USA!
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:14 PM
 Originally Posted By: CV
For a while at work, I was getting annoyed with people getting their garbage near the garbage cans, but not in it.

Ooh, I have to bust myself. My wife's pet peeve - well, one of them - about me is that I'll put dirty dishes in the sink, but not the dishwasher. I've tried to correct that and check if the dishwasher is ready to receive dirties. If so, into the dishwasher they go, and all is well. If not, then into the sink. I think the next pet peeve will be not emptying the dishwasher. I'm sure it'll be something.
Wow, this is a lot of medic8r heads in a row.
I think I'll have to change my avatar back to rainbow man, just for Ken and Sean.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:15 PM
How long can I carry on a conversation with myself?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:15 PM
I get kind of irritated some times when Mark isn't as funny or punctual as usual.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:15 PM
people who change their avatars too much.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:16 PM
Is it just a way to get a lot of posts?
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:17 PM
OOps, interrupted by a sanity break from Tom and Peter.

- woww, 3700 posts.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:20 PM
In a row?
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:25 PM
\:\)
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 05:25 PM
Wow, 3702 already. At this rate, I'll get free speakers by next week!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 06:41 PM
I can't stand it when people stand.
Posted By: grunt Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 06:52 PM
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
I can't stand it when people stand.

Good One Cam.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 06:55 PM
;\)
Posted By: grunt Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 07:00 PM
People who move to Arizona bringing their far left and right wing politics and 100+ different driving styles with them.

Libertarians w/o vehicles are always welcome. ;\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 08:58 PM
It's becoming a real pet peeve of mine when you walk into a store and someone shouts hello from 20 feet away...I get the feeling what they're trying to say is: "Hey, you! The guy who just walked in! I'm saying something to you to make you aware of the fact that there's security at this here door. Yessir, there is".
It makes me want to leap across the counter and throttle the SOB while I'm screaming "I KNOW YOU SAW ME. I'M NOT A THIEF SO YOU CAN COOL YOUR JETS!!!"
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 09:03 PM
You could get away with it, so why not do it?. You were in Vietnam. Shell shock, you know?
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 09:05 PM
OOOOOO! I hadn't thought of that. An insanity plea!!! PTSD!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/04/10 09:53 PM
Jack, why don't you go ahead and call in that refill now, please.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 01:19 AM
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
I think I'll have to change my avatar back to rainbow man, just for Ken and Sean.

Oh good. Then I can go back to having seizures while browsing the forum.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 01:21 AM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
People who move to Arizona bringing their far left and right wing politics and 100+ different driving styles with them.

Libertarians w/o vehicles are always welcome. ;\)

Move along, nothing to see here. I edited it!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 03:28 AM
Oh yeah, one of my pet peeves is people who don't put shopping carts in the cart corrals when they are done loading their cars. It really burns me up. I give a small pass to those that, at least, prop them up on curbs, but, really, they are just as lazy as the others that leave them to run free in the parking lot.
Posted By: Adrian Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 03:34 AM
 Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy

Too late! I read it and it was hilarious!
Posted By: grunt Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 03:41 AM

To bad I was at work and missed it. I had put in a disclaimer that it didn’t apply to you. But then I remembered that you always wear the militia patch. ;\)

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 03:47 AM
It was a political joke, but I thought I'd better steer clear of those.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 03:48 AM
 Originally Posted By: grunt
People who move to Arizona...

Isn't that the pet peeve of people born in Arizona?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 03:50 AM
Aw, c'mon! The cacti get lonely!
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 04:15 AM
I lived in Cochise County. No, they do not get lonely. Morons who move near to them do.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 04:26 AM
They must spend a lot of time plucking needles from tender areas?
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 04:27 AM
Pet Peeve words:

Ecscape
Nucular
Orientated
Aks
Incidentses
Artic
"I" when it should be "me"
and Vice Versa
Heighth
Impacted
Pro-Active
Vanella
So don't I
Concerted (when refering to one's own effort)
Irregardless
Historical (when it's "historic")
Expresso
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 04:35 AM
You know! Everything that lives in the Sonora wants to hurt you.
And they're pretty good at it.
Posted By: grunt Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 05:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: BobKay

Isn't that the pet peeve of people born in Arizona?

That’s why It’s my peeve. ;\)
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 10:57 AM
Wow.... 54 replies in less than 24 hours.

You guys have quite the hidden anger, don't you? \:\)
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 11:25 AM
Oh yeah, one of my pet peeves is people who don't put shopping carts in the cart corrals when they are done loading their cars. It really burns me up.

OOOOOO! Dats another one that really burns me up. What REALLY gets me goin' is when carts are left in the stripped area between handicapped spots. I park in handicapped spots cuz I hafta, and I just love it when I can't open my car door to get out of my car because some IDIOT considers that striped area to be a cart return.

Problem is, most of those carts are left by handicapped IDIOTS who don't give a damn about anyone else and feel it's OK cuz they are handicapped. Since I enjoy the privilege of parking close to the building, I ALWAYS limp my cart back into the store. It's the least I can do.

I can understand those who are seriously hindered leaving the cart in the striped area. But, for pity's sake push it forward enough that it won't prevent the next seriously hindered person from opening their car door. DUH!!!!!

Whew! I feel much better.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 11:27 AM
Wow.... 54 replies in less than 24 hours.

You guys have quite the hidden anger, don't you? \:\)

Who's hiding it?

G'morning, my friend.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 11:29 AM
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Jack, why don't you go ahead and call in that refill now, please.

I would Tom, but JP has stopped taking my calls. Can't figure it out?????
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 12:37 PM
Well, for one thing, he moved from Virginia to Alabama.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 01:24 PM
Hey, now, not Alabama, gimme a break.

I don't think we have any forum regulars in Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, Kentucky, or Tennessee.

The only Deep South folks I can think of are a401classic (LA), me (GA), audiosavant (GA), and Argon (NC). I consider the (Deep) South to be LA, MS, AL, GA, SC, NC.
Posted By: michael_d Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 02:23 PM
I lived in Cochise County. No, they do not get lonely. Morons who move near to them do.

I was born and raised in that county.... Sure has changed a lot in the past twenty years. I used to crawl all over "Cochise's Castle" and cool off the horses in his well when I was a kid.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 07:08 PM
Pet Peeve words:
Orientated
Aks
Incidentses

LOL!

Another one for me is people that "argue" by saying the same thing over and over and over again... Just watch an episode of Maury .
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 07:30 PM
Yeah, my Philosophy 101 professor in college said that in his first class with us. It's not arguing or debating if you keep saying the same thing over and over. Even if you raise you voice as you go.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 10:03 PM
Gad, sorry about that JP. My brain substituted Alabama for Atlanta. Which apparently isn't right, either. gwaaaaaah...
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 10:56 PM
Doesn't matter where he is. He's still not taking my calls.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 11:35 PM
All's I know, is he never sent me an invite to the Masters. Pfffttt.

On topic, I've had the landscapers/maintenance guys for the properties on both sides of me blow leaves off their parking lots, onto my lawn in the Fall (or sand, with a Spring cleanup).

Short of me having the discussion with them again while I have a 9mm holstered, how do you get some people to understand that blowing stuff off of their property, onto yours, is f**king obnoxious and infuriating?
Posted By: Glitchy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 11:41 PM
All's I know, is he never sent me an invite to the Masters. Pfffttt.

On topic, I've had the landscapers/maintenance guys for the properties on both sides of me blow leaves off their parking lots, onto my lawn in the Fall (or sand, with a Spring cleanup).

Short of me having the discussion with them again while I have a 9mm holstered, how do you get some people to understand that blowing stuff off of their property, onto yours, is f**king obnoxious and infuriating?

I think the 9 , holding a fifth of jack, spitting chew and a half grown in beard should do it .. while in your underwear.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 11:42 PM
Boxers or briefs? I want to get it right...!
Posted By: Glitchy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/05/10 11:43 PM

well jack or a mason jar .. and I'd go with briefs
Posted By: Argon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/06/10 02:17 AM
 Originally Posted By: wordgasm

well jack or a mason jar .. and I'd go with briefs

and definately unholster the 9.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/06/10 02:29 AM
I dunno, briefs with a shoulder holster might do the trick.
Posted By: Adrian Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/06/10 02:33 AM
Shoulder holster is too formal, perhaps Mark should tuck his 9mm(:::snicker:::) in his pants.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/06/10 02:44 AM
Only the .357 would be appropriate then... all things being equal...
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/06/10 04:42 AM
Oh, I thought they called you "Tripod" because you were a photographer. My mistake.
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/06/10 11:36 AM
I say use bigger guns (not talking about either of the 9mm previously discussed above.)

Rent about a half dozen swamp boats for next time they are around. Set them Very securely on your lawn facing the leaf blowing crew and have them rigged to all turn on and throttle up at the same time as soon as you see them fire up the leaf blowers.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/06/10 04:02 PM
Dueling Leaf Blowers. Kind of like "Deliverance" for the suburbs.
Posted By: Adrian Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/06/10 04:36 PM
"That's nawt a leaf Blowahh! THIS!! is a LEAF BLOWAHH!!"
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/06/10 09:13 PM
I've long lobbied for noise seeking missiles. It would solve a lot of problems.

Of course, they would probably turn around and obliterate my kids' room.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/07/10 01:22 AM
I have another one. The people where I work call my patients by "Mister (First name)" or "Miss (First name)".

Example: "Here's Mr. John, Doctor," or "Miss Stephanie needs a refill."

I refuse to succumb to this odd local dialect. I'm still calling patients "Mr. (Last name)" or, only if I know them well, by their first names without the Mr/Miss thing.
Posted By: Adrian Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/07/10 01:57 AM
I hear you Mr. JP.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/07/10 03:01 AM
Ken, I need to borrow your knife.

Thanks.

Stabbity stabbity stabbity!
Posted By: Argon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/07/10 11:41 AM
Wasn't there a group named "Mister Mister" in the 80's? Not sure how you would address them?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/07/10 02:57 PM
Messrs. Mister Mister, how y'all doin?
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 05/07/10 05:10 PM
Harumph.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/21/11 02:47 PM
While driving and listening to the radio I don't like it when commercials feature the sounds of honking horns and/or squealing tires.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/21/11 03:59 PM
"The screachin' tires, the bustin' glass,
The painful screams that I heard last."

Ya, know Eddie, that was a crappy song when it was new, and you didn't change that. What are ya gonna cover next, "Teen Angel," or how 'bout "DOA," by Bloodrock?

Sorry, Sean. Sunday morning stream of consciousness.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/21/11 09:55 PM
While driving and listening to the radio I don't like it when commercials feature the sounds of honking horns and/or squealing tires.

Sean, that's been a pet peeve of mine as well for years. Even more- sirens!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/21/11 11:48 PM
Exactly, Mark! It's those types of sounds I don't need to be confused about hearing while I'm driving.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/22/11 03:37 PM

Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/22/11 04:27 PM
I agree with that picture, but there are limits. If I see you in my rearview mirror shifting lanes like an idiot just so you can maintain your 15+ mph over the speed limit, I will most likely accelerate or change lanes to cut off your planned route when you get close to me.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/22/11 08:37 PM
I agree with that picture, but there are limits. If I see you in my rearview mirror shifting lanes like an idiot just so you can maintain your 15+ mph over the speed limit, I will most likely accelerate or change lanes to cut off your planned route when you get close to me.

Give 'em hell Peter, you crazy rebel.

Great picture Sonic!

Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/22/11 09:52 PM

I don't have a problem, in any way, with you doing that. However, I approach it a little differently. I quickly move out my way to let that idiot get past me. I view him as a cop magnet. I figure the cop will be busy ticketing him as I go by, unnoticed, at my 5-10 mph over the speed limit pace. whistle grin
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/22/11 09:58 PM
Great graphic, Mary. Now come up with one that explains how the on ramp enables you to get up to freeway speeds BEFORE you join the freeway. I am so weary of being forced to enter a freeway at 40 mph cuz the idiot entering ahead of me thinks, mistakenly, it is safer to to merge with freeway traffic while going 20 mph slower than the traffic. mad
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/22/11 10:36 PM
Originally Posted By: Ajax
I quickly move out my way to let that idiot get past me. I view him as a cop magnet. I figure the cop will be busy ticketing him as I go by, unnoticed, at my 5-10 mph over the speed limit pace. whistle grin

Yeah, letting them take point saves ME from tickets!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/23/11 08:40 PM
I quickly move out my way to let that idiot get past me. I view him as a cop magnet. I figure the cop will be busy ticketing him as I go by, unnoticed, at my 5-10 mph over the speed limit pace. whistle grin

Yeah, letting them take point saves ME from tickets!

Once I was with a friend who drove by a highway patrol officer who had someone pulled over. He waved his hand at her, gesturing her to pull over too. She started laughing..."I'm so sure! I'm not pulling over for THAT. He's gonna have to come get me." Sure enough, a mile later, he was behind her. When asked how he could prove she was speeding. he pointed to the sky. Those freaking police planes! LOL!
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/24/11 04:00 PM
I hate coffee or restaurant drive-throughs when they ask "Would like a 'soandso' with that today?" or "will that be all today?"

Until they invent time travel, adding "today" is redundant!!!!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/24/11 04:13 PM
"No! That's not all I want Today! I'll be back later, thank you!"
Posted By: davidsch Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/24/11 05:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
I hate coffee or restaurant drive-throughs when they ask "Would like a 'soandso' with that today?" or "will that be all today?"

Until they invent time travel, adding "today" is redundant!!!!

I'm with you, especially the restaurant drive throughs. I have my order all composed in my head and then they start throwing out suggestions that make me forget what I want.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/24/11 05:08 PM
An old pet peeve, recently re-annoying: Screw-on F connectors on RG8 when the connection point is tight, difficult to get to and you don't have a tool to use.

Wow, did I just open myself up with straight lines....
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/24/11 05:19 PM
So many openings..... Just can't choose.....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/24/11 05:56 PM
I've never counted more than three.

[NOTE: I feel so icky now.]
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/24/11 08:25 PM
Yamaha is having a sweepstakes to give away a receiver. The instructions say, "Once you click the Enter tab above....", If you can find the enter tab, you are doing a whole lot better than I am. (They may fix it on this link sometime soon, so it might make me look like a dummy, but for now I can't find an enter tab.)

Clicky

Update: You have to Like them first, THEN the enter tab shows up. Geesh!
Posted By: Argon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/25/11 12:52 AM
"or how 'bout "DOA," by Bloodrock?

Wow....I dint know anybody else remembered Bloodrock - let alone DOA....
Posted By: Argon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/25/11 12:57 AM
Originally Posted By: sonicfox

Once I was with a friend who drove by a highway patrol officer who had someone pulled over. He waved his hand at her, gesturing her to pull over too. She started laughing..."I'm so sure! I'm not pulling over for THAT. He's gonna have to come get me." Sure enough, a mile later, he was behind her. When asked how he could prove she was speeding. he pointed to the sky. Those freaking police planes! LOL!

I was behind a car on I-40 in the fast lane and we came up on a good ol' NC Trooper riding in the slow lane. I pulled in behind the Trooper - the other car stayed in the fast lane. The Trooper was going 60 in a 55. We rode like that for 5 or 6 miles and then the other car sped up and passed the Trooper. He pulled over into the slow lane right in front of the Trooper. 2 seconds later, the Blue Lights came on.....so my pet peeve is all the idiots that have driver's licenses....
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/25/11 02:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Argon
"or how 'bout "DOA," by Bloodrock?

Wow....I dint know anybody else remembered Bloodrock - let alone DOA....

I used to have their albums. Another bloodrock song I remember liking was Jessica. Thanks for the memories. I had forgotten about them.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/25/11 08:18 PM
Brian: You should not, in a single day, reveal that you put your head into a tornado, lust after ELP videos, or that you actually bought Bloodrock.

Got any Sugarloaf?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/25/11 09:21 PM
Sorry, no Sugarloaf. But I used to have some Russian opera. Does that count?
Posted By: bridgman Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/29/11 03:40 PM
Brian: You should not, in a single day, reveal that you put your head into a tornado, lust after ELP videos, or that you actually bought Bloodrock.

5 registered, 39 guests, 2 spiders and a stalker ?
Posted By: sonicfox Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/29/11 08:38 PM
The scissor-proof plastic packaging material along with those peel-proof stickers on CDs and DVDs!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 08/29/11 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: bridgman

5 registered, 39 guests, 2 spiders and a stalker ?

Anybody stalking me would get so bored, they'd forget why they were stalking me.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/15/11 07:09 PM
Pet Peeve words:

Ecscape
Nucular
Orientated
Aks
Incidentses
Artic
and Vice Versa
Heighth
Impacted
Pro-Active
Vanella
So don't I
Irregardless
Expresso

So I'm looking at this list and wondering why "It's a mute point" is missing.

And why does ANYTHING follow the phrase - "It goes without saying...".
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/15/11 08:03 PM
"I could care less".......
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/15/11 10:03 PM
Originally Posted By: Ray3
Pet Peeve words:

Ecscape
Nucular
Orientated
Aks
Incidentses
Artic
and Vice Versa
Heighth
Impacted
Pro-Active
Vanella
So don't I
Irregardless
Expresso

?#1: "Cause I never make fun of the deaf when they're gesticulating.

?#2: Where I grew up that translates to "It says without going..." (So I goes to her, "You..." Then she goes, "...."
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/16/11 02:48 PM
Wellness. Where in the h*ll did that word come from and can anyone please tell me the difference between health and wellness?
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/16/11 03:05 PM
Wellness incorporates the crunchy granola-eating, yoga-posing, herbal-ingesting/inhaling, Eastern medicine-loving crowd's concept of metaphysical health.

My 2¢.

FWIW, I like granola, yoga, herbs, and Eastern medicine. I just try not to be too precious about it. Everything in moderation, ya know.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/16/11 06:56 PM
Wellness includes mental state, I think. You can be healthy as an ox at the same time as you're suffering from depression, but you wouldn't have wellness.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/16/11 07:22 PM
I'll take wellness over wellless, any day.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/16/11 08:56 PM
I'm feeling quite wellful today.
Posted By: medic8r Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/16/11 09:07 PM
Well, isn't that special!

Your explanation makes sense.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/16/11 09:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Ray3
Pet Peeve words:

Ecscape
Nucular
Orientated
Aks
Incidentses
Artic
and Vice Versa
Heighth
Impacted
Pro-Active
Vanella
So don't I
Irregardless
Expresso

More pet peeve words:

"Affect" when it should be "effect" - and vice versa.

"Bring" when it should be "take". Vice versa doesn't usually happen here.

"Proctologist" for many reasons, including the fact that they chose to be one on purpose.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/17/11 12:57 PM
Wellness includes mental state, I think. You can be healthy as an ox at the same time as you're suffering from depression, but you wouldn't have wellness.

I respectfully disagree. To me, health is health. You can break that down into physical, mental, emotional, etc., but if you're healthy, you're healthy.

The Free Dictionary
Health: 1. The overall condition of an organism at a given time.
Wellness: The state of being in good physical and mental health

Merriam-Webster
Health: The condition of being sound in body, mind, or spirit
Wellness: The quality or state of being in good health especially as an actively sought goal.

Unnecessarily Redundant, IMHO.
Posted By: J. B. Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/17/11 01:17 PM
i agree with Ajax, health is health.

physical, mental, emotional, etc... it's all different facets of a person.
the often used word "individual" means "that cannot be divided".
if one facet of an individual is not in good health, the other facets will suffer from it and will also not be in good health.

why is it that people who suffer from high stress have ailments like stomach burns?

an individual, or person, is a whole, even in death: the whole person ceases to exist at the moment of death; if anyone thinks or knows otherwise, i want to see proof. This means it's not even open to discussion.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/17/11 09:12 PM
Wellness. Where in the h*ll did that word come from and can anyone please tell me the difference between health and wellness?

Cool, Jack!!

Ask a rhetorical question, let 'em all have their shots, then thwap 'em with not one, but two dictionary definitions!

You rock! (I already knew that.)
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/17/11 09:31 PM
No animosity here. Just trying to make my point. Most of the time I'm fine with folks seeing things differently, particularly two good folks like Peter and J.P. smile
Posted By: CV Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/17/11 09:45 PM
There are plenty of discussions of health versus wellness online if you look past dictionary definitions. Even if they meant exactly the same thing, though, I'm fine with having more words to have in the bag. Sometimes you want something different phonetically in your phrasing, right?
Posted By: fredk Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/18/11 12:34 AM
Wellness: Adj, a state of being

On the home farm we had 3 wells. I was awash in a wealth of wellness.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/18/11 02:12 AM

I respectfully disagree. To me, health is health. You can break that down into physical, mental, emotional, etc., but if you're healthy, you're healthy.

The Free Dictionary

I think there's a difference in those two definitions when you consider a person with a physical disability, like myself.

Overall, as a quadriplegic, I'm healthy.

Physically, I'm disabled, and as a result, my body doesn't function normally (good health), but my mind does.

I also think this definition is deleterious because someone with downs syndrome can, and do, have wellness.

The lexicographers should take a course in SRV (Social Role Valorization).

My 2 cents.
Posted By: CV Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/18/11 02:15 AM
I'm glad you clarified what SRV stood for before people steered the thread toward Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Good points, though, Cam.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/18/11 03:37 PM
No animosity here. Just trying to make my point. Most of the time I'm fine with folks seeing things differently, particularly two good folks like Peter and J.P. smile

I knew that , too!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/18/11 07:04 PM
Well, well, well.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/19/11 05:33 PM
ness, ness, ness. YAY TEAM!

wink

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/19/11 08:21 PM
Um...

Lutefisk Lutefisk Lefse Lefse
We're the Mighty Lutes
Ya Sure You Betcha!

(from my alma mater, Norwegian-founded Pacific Lutheran University)
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/19/11 08:26 PM
That sounds like a Betty White line from "Golden Girls."

And I'm making a "Bea Arthur" face right now.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/19/11 08:53 PM

Why must you be mean to us, Bob?
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/19/11 09:56 PM

Why must you be mean to us, Bob?

I wasn't being mean. I was being old and ugly (and of late, quite dead).
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/19/11 11:19 PM

I wasn't being mean. I was being old and ugly (and of late, quite dead).

Shoot, I've been the the first two for years and am rapidly working on the latter .
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/20/11 11:42 AM
But your online spirit here is endless Jack, Bob. You will live here forever until the Internet is replaced with tainted water mill powered telegraph poles after the nuclear apocalypse.
Posted By: Ajax Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/20/11 12:56 PM

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/20/11 01:32 PM
after the nuclear apocalypse.

Dude, you're harshing me this morning.....
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/20/11 02:12 PM
Sorry Bud.
Maybe this will help.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/20/11 02:20 PM
It does! Thanks!
Posted By: cb919 Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/20/11 03:33 PM
I am tired of reading audio reviews. I get them in my inbox all the time in the vain hope of finding something unique and interesting. Instead I feel like I get the same drivel repackaged every time in slightly different ways. I don't recall reading a truly objective/critical review of any speaker systems in quite awhile. I was especially peeved with this one where extended break in is recommeneded to truly appreciate this system. Maybe I'm just grumpy today. mad End rant.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 01:07 AM
It's hard to determine if the thread was hijacked or if it was simply gyro failure.

I am hoping for the gyro explanation as I am a fan of Greek food.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 03:06 AM
Dan, keep in mind that with the internet, ANYONE can be an expert and write an article, even if they aren't...

I agree with your rant.
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 11:56 AM
Three pet Peeves I decided upon last night.

1. Sports bras that are so tight the beach volley ball players look like men.

3. Wearing sweaters while playing beach volleyball. I know it's not the warmest anymore but it ruins the whole effect.

2. Holding said impromptu beach volley ball tournament on the beach on the far side of the island off my house so I didn't know it was going on until I innocently paddled around to play in the waves.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 12:05 PM
1, 3, 2 ?
Add 4: Not owning a pair of motion-stabilized binoculars.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 12:08 PM
5. Not owning a house near and island.
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 12:09 PM
Mark, don't you mean "5."
Ken, your's should be "4."
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 12:09 PM
6. I keep forgetting to catch up on Doctor Who despite Murph's signature. wink
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 02:26 PM
Women in line in front of you at a checkout who wait until they're told the final amount before they even BEGIN to open their handbag...then their purse...then their change purse...

Next, they look back at the amount, then their brain engages (really, if it's quiet, you can hear it!), then OMFG, here it comes, they begin to speak----interrogatively!
Posted By: Argon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 02:43 PM
Women in line in front of you at a checkout who wait until they're told the final amount before they even BEGIN to open their handbag...then their purse...then their change purse...

Next, they look back at the amount, then their brain engages (really, if it's quiet, you can hear it!), then OMFG, here it comes, they begin to speak----interrogatively!

Or worse, open their checkbook.
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 03:29 PM
I can't stand when they fumble for minutes in their purse looking for the exact change. Upon waiting ridiculous amounts of time, I have been know to hand the cashier a dollar and tell them to keep the change.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 09:47 PM

I know what you mean. That is why THIS woman uses a debit card most of the time.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/21/11 10:01 PM
Originally Posted By: sonicfox

I know what you mean. That is why THIS woman uses a debit card most of the time.

Mary, I saw that you had posted a response and thought, "Oh, crap! She's gonna hit me with the 'MCP baton' for that!" Whew!

You can still hit me with a baton. Just please change the label(s). Thank you.
Posted By: 72mustang Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/26/11 03:57 AM
Pet Peeves??? Simple. Here are a few..

- people who piss on public toilet seats
- people who dont flush said toilets
- people who dont hold the door for you or say "thanks" when holding it open for them
- door to door salesmen/door marketers. You were not invited. Stay away
- commission sales people.
- commission sales people who do not give you the final price untill your ready to sign the deal and then say " oh... you also must pay this/that and everything else on top of what I quoted you. "
- loud mufflers
- Tapout wannabe MMA punks who wear white framed sunglasses
- motorcycle riders who park at Tim Hortons and wear all the gear to think thier tough ass Hells Angel wannabees
- people who use products only to put back on the shelf for thier own pleasure ( ie... deoderant, hand lotion, ect... )
- gas station/fast food attendants who cant speak proper english

Shall I go on????? lol
Posted By: CV Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/26/11 04:23 AM
Go on. People who go on aren't one of my pet peeves.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/26/11 11:54 AM
People who pull out in front of you in traffic, then drive slow.
People who quickly speed up to fill the gap when you put your blinker on to change lanes.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/26/11 11:57 AM
People who misuse homophones: ie, "their" and then misspell them.

wink
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/26/11 02:00 PM
Their, their Ken... don't let it get to you!
Posted By: sonicfox Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/26/11 04:14 PM
Originally Posted By: 72mustang

- commission sales people.
- commission sales people who do not give you the final price untill your ready to sign the deal and then say " oh... you also must pay this/that and everything else on top of what I quoted you. "

Well, I DO work on commission selling insurance...mostly auto insurance. My pet peeve is when people don't give me correct information at the time of the quote, and then thinking I'm ripping them off if the price goes up. It's not my fault you "forgot" about that ticket.

Originally Posted By: CatBrat
People who pull out in front of you in traffic, then drive slow.

Oh, that one makes me REALLY mad! Another one is when people brake to almost a complete stop THEN put on their turn signal. It should be the other way around.
Posted By: Argon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/26/11 04:23 PM
How about people that don't turn signal at all? Then there are the ones making a left turn at a heavy intersection with stop light. The ones that refuse to move to the middle of the intersection so that they can go ahead and turn when the light changes (my personal fave)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/26/11 04:31 PM
I just switched to a new phone and service recently. Was never told about all of the "Extra" $5 charges for every little thing you might want.
Posted By: 72mustang Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/27/11 01:01 AM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I just switched to a new phone and service recently. Was never told about all of the "Extra" $5 charges for every little thing you might want.

That is exaclty what Im talking about.

Case in point... bought a motorcycle several years ago. Bought it 1 hour away in another dealership. On the morning of going down to seal the deal, I called and asked the sales guy what the final price so I can have my bank make out a bank draft to give to the dealership. His words were... " Bike and tax. Total is blah blah blah. " So I go to the bank and they make out the draft for set amount. I drive 1 hour to dealership. We sit down in the room and when the paper work is placed in front of me to sign I notice an increase of $400 plus. I said " WTF is this extra $400? " He said its dealership fees, set up fees and registration fee's. I mentioned the FINAL price he said on the phone and his excuse was.. " I told you what the price of the BIKE and TAX is. Everyone knows there are additional fee's added like these Im pointing out to you ". I said wipe the $400 off or the deal is cancelled. I got up and they agreed to wipe the $400 off. Real slimmy way of making something appear cheaper to lure you in and at the final moment hit you with additional fee's even AFTER asking was the final price would be.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/27/11 02:21 AM
Reminds me of when I refinanced my house in 2002. I was told by the mortgage company that this refinance wouldn't cost me anything. It wasn't until I was signing the paperwork, that I found out it was going to cost me about $4000 and was added onto the amount I was refinancing. LIARS.

As a general rule, I hate sales people. I went to classes once to learn how to sell Encyclopedia Bricanicas. I hated the trainer, so much, that I quit. He was a real nasty buggar.
Posted By: 72mustang Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/27/11 03:24 AM
My motherinlaw is a comm jewlery sales lady. She tells numerous stories of people coming in with a set limit on what they have to spend and after awhile they walk out paying twice as much for something else because of the "tactics" she uses to sell items that were taught to her. She feeds on human impulse weakness'es. LOL I dont blame her though... only trying to make a buck plus people should know to say " NO " when pressure saled. Its not so much the pressure sales I cant stand as much as the Lies used to lure and trap unsuspecting customers. Of course... this does not apply to all sales people and is only my personal views and opinions.
Posted By: Adrian Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/27/11 04:26 PM
On people making turns in their cars...some people seem like they're driving 18 wheelers around corners the way they swing out into traffic...also, some people making left turns, position themselves too far over, one way or the other, obscurring the view of left hand turners on the opposite side, or they are too far into the intersection.

On jewellers...I've seen shady salesman(women?) claim their diamonds are of top quality with no visible defects when I can clearly see HUGE inclusions WITHOUT my reading glasses...they kept insisting I couldn't see anything. One thing I could see clearly was not buying anything from them.

Clerks with no knowledge about what they're selling but make things up anyway.

Ford's negative advertising campaign..."I used to drive a Honda...."

The state of the music industry.

Reality TV.

Athletes salaries.

The guy who cut me off yesterday.

Yappy dogs.

People who leave shopping carts out in the parking lot/attendants who leave them there.

Any gossip rags near cash-out.

Promises made by politicians to get elected.

Government lack of support for entreprenuerial minded people.

...I didn't realize I was so bitter...
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/27/11 04:45 PM
Good list. Probably my biggest pet peeve, or dislike, is

Politicians.

It doesn't make any sense to let politicians run (or rather, ruin) a country.
Posted By: Argon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 09/27/11 04:58 PM
Times 10 on "Reality" shows.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 04:47 PM
"Hi. I'm sorry I didn't have an appointment, but thought I'd drop in to see if you can copy this disc?"

"Hi. I've got a job running right now, but if you have other errands to run, you can come back for it."

"OK. I can come back in about half an hour."

"Sounds good. How many copies do you need?"

"Fifty".

"Hmmm. I probably can't get 50 ready quite that quick after the other job finishes. How do you want them printed?"

"Oh, I don't know. Can I get back to you about that and just pick them up tomorrow?"

"Sure. I'll design it and send you a JPEG for approval!".

{{Later in the day, client calls with the text she wants printed and also decides she wants the company logo. I design it and send her the JPEG as promised, letting her know that the discs are burned and as soon as she gets back to me with approval of the imprint I can quickly get it all wrapped up for her.}}

Today I receive an email:
"I have a major concern…is there anyway to delete a piece of the presentation that has already been copied? {{The disc had a PowerPoint Presentation on it- Ed.}} There are pieces of the presentation that I wanted to remove, and this is why I simply wanted you to look over the piece, and make sure that we were able to copy, and then discuss the project further. I apologize for the confusion, but if you could let me know if this is possible, or if we need to figure out another solution."

Me: I guess when she asked if I could copy the disc, she was literally asking me if I COULD copy the disc?

PS- she's the "Chief Development Officer" for this organization!

Grrrrrr.....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 04:51 PM
Stab. Stabbity.

Stab stab stab.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 05:30 PM
Your Stabbities made me smile. Thanks!
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 05:31 PM
This is why we have our customers sign a 'Statement of Work' on projects. It protects both sides from assumptions, surprises and undisclosed costs.

Of course, that's probably a bit to formal for that size of a project. Still, for repeat problem customers........
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 05:36 PM
This was a first in 20 years....

I kind of thought that people understood that the disc they bring me would be the one they want copied.... not a "work in progress"!

"Hi, Kinko's? I had 500 Xerox'd pages made yesterday. Can I go back through them and delete a sentence? No? That's unpossible? But when I asked if you could make me 500 copies, I didn't expect you to do it. It was rhetorical, like."

Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 05:50 PM
"Sure, we can to it! But, it'll be an addition cost of $20 per disc. What? Our fault!? You're the sorry block that chose Kinkos!"
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 06:35 PM
repeat problem customers........

That, good friends, is, in Bob's little world, an oxymoron.

I've only had to do this once in a previous business I had, and three times in this one. I send them emails that politely, but clearly state:

"I feel strongly, before the work is even finished, that one of us may end up unhappy. At this stage of my life, I fear most that the unhappy person will be me.

I hope you can use some of my ideas and suggestions. Good luck with your project, trog-bitch!'

I'm only joking about the trog-bitch part.

People ask, "Don't they email back?"
"Yep, everyone."
"Well, what do they say?"
"If I opend it and read it, then I didn't end it."
"Aren't you curious?"
"No."

Note left for a recent (single) female client who'd been unruly:

"Left a bit early so I wouldn't have to see you. Since you've been working for Google, you haven't been very "Googley" when you come home. So, pick one:

A guy who always has your best interests at the fore and goes the extra mile for you every time. OR..

A new boyfriend to squat and piss on.

Email me when you decide."

She's still one of my best clients. I should write a book:

Client Management, with Bob

Edit: I forgot. Able-bodied people who stand still on escalators and moving sidewalks should be ticketed. Those who do the same, but are firmly planted in the middle of said device, should find themselves on a mobius-strip version of said device.
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 06:38 PM
I'll buy it for sure. I'd ask for a signed copy, but I'm afraid.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 06:51 PM
[quote=MarkSJohnsonPS- she's the "Chief Development Officer" for this organization!

Grrrrrr.....
[/quote]

Mark, you know that means that she is merely the Chief Beggar for her organization. She's gonna use whatever you do for her as part of a suck-up presentation to a current or prospective mark, errr, I mean donor, while the other "development" people with her use the distraction to rifle through coats and handbags for big fat checks.

She doesn't have to know anything. She just has to be good at getting others to cough up. Remember, "Chief" or no, she's still just a beggar.

That may make it seem that I'm bitter about my professional years wasted in development, but I'm not. Really, I'm not. Bastards!
Posted By: Argon Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 07:14 PM
Escalator Rage?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 07:23 PM
People who can't stand still for one minute and rest while the escalator is moving.
Posted By: avjunkee Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 07:56 PM
People who stand still on escalators that don't move.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 07:58 PM
People who post in the Pet Peeve thread.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/18/11 08:43 PM
Pet Peeve threads.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/19/11 04:31 AM
This
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/19/11 10:20 AM
X
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 10/19/11 01:25 PM
X

People who torture horror vacuui sufferers.
Posted By: cb919 Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 11/01/11 02:58 PM
In my last post on this thread I complained in general about audio reviews. I was pleasantly surprised this morning to read this review of the Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers. While I skimmed it I noted it seemed like an honest meaningful review - the very thing I was complaining was lacking before. I guess there are occasionally two sides to the coin. blush
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 11/26/11 07:38 PM
Those little white stick figure decals on the rear windows of mini-van's and SUV's. You know, there's the Mommy and the Daddy, then the boy and three girls and the dog and the two cats.

I could do some pretty neat adjustments to them, given 90 surreptitious seconds and a brand new X-acto blade.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 11/26/11 07:42 PM
This is the one we have.
Posted By: BobKay Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 11/26/11 10:43 PM
At least it's an off-axis improvement.
Posted By: Murph Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 11/28/11 01:00 PM
Glornak needs to start posting here.
Posted By: fredk Re: The Pet Peeve thread...... - 11/29/11 02:17 AM
Can you imagine the philosophical discussions he and Bbigwyres could have?
© Axiom Message Boards