Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 05:20 PM
I just ordered a couple of cables from monoprice to use with my laptop in a hotel room--so I can watch my movies not hunched over the desk with my earbuds, but on the room TV. Not those kind of movies, Bob & Micah...

Anyway, I got a 10 foot MiniDP->HDMI and a 10 foot premium 3.5"->dual RCA. The premium cable is laughably large:

Yes, that's two separate big fat cables coming out of the 3.5" connector.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 05:28 PM
They are large but at the cost of not being flexible and stiff.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 05:29 PM
Needless to say, that goes in the checked luggage... I don't need more copper hanging off my shoulder.
Posted By: davidsch Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 05:35 PM
This thread brings up a question that I have. My wife has a Macbook Pro that we would like to connect to our LG HDTV. Is this the type of cable that I need or is there a better way to connect the two. Thanks.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 05:38 PM
If it's the new MBP with the mini displayport out, then you do need at least the miniDP->HDMI cable. It's about $10 for a 10 footer. Now, if you want to do digital audio (and I assume you do), those MBPs have optical out on the same jack as the headphone connector. I'm sure monoprice sells a cable for that, too. I chose to go with analog because I'm not sure how advanced the TVs in hotels are. I'm counting on them having HDMI, but not necessarily optical.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 05:54 PM
In your experience, do all the hotels you normally stay in have flat-screen TVs with exposed jacks?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 05:58 PM
These days, yup.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 06:01 PM
You're doing well. My last hotel had a 27" tube TV with a snowy picture.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 06:01 PM
And the handicapped remote they provide you with allows you to switch inputs?
Posted By: davidsch Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 06:01 PM
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
If it's the new MBP with the mini displayport out, then you do need at least the miniDP->HDMI cable. It's about $10 for a 10 footer. Now, if you want to do digital audio (and I assume you do), those MBPs have optical out on the same jack as the headphone connector. I'm sure monoprice sells a cable for that, too. I chose to go with analog because I'm not sure how advanced the TVs in hotels are. I'm counting on them having HDMI, but not necessarily optical.

You're always helpful Ken!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 06:07 PM
Well, considering that the higher end Marriotts have a console built into the desk or cabinet that includes the inputs, I'd hope so!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 06:22 PM
Shows you how often I travel, anymore. I'm not even staying in a hotel in Denver. \:\)
Posted By: Ken.C Re: cables from monoprice - 05/19/10 06:24 PM
Yeah, they did a major renovation across their line over the last few years...
© Axiom Message Boards