Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Wid New power center - 06/02/10 09:47 PM

While I was listening to some music today everything plugged into the Monster Power 2500 went silent. The power center started to emit a noise that I figured was its way of telling me it give up the ghost. I disconnected all the components and plugged the directly in the wall to make sure they were all OK and it seems nothing else was harmed.

Now I want to buy another power center of some kind. I am looking at the Belkin PF60 . Anyone else use this one or have another they can recommend.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New power center - 06/02/10 10:00 PM
Monster became a Zombie, huh?

I think that's the one that a bunch of us bought when they went down to something like $150. I think Jay and Jack bought one. What? You don't remember my photo? Jack used to steal it and tell people HE took it. (Wait'll I see him in Dwight...why I oughtta...)

Mine's been working fine for me! Actually, I liked it so much I bought a second one.
Posted By: Wid Re: New power center - 06/02/10 10:22 PM

I'm considering two for my system.
Posted By: jakewash Re: New power center - 06/02/10 10:37 PM
I've had the PF60 for a few years now, no problems.
Posted By: Wid Re: New power center - 06/02/10 10:41 PM

The total power consumption rating of all the equipment together is real close to exceeding the Belkins rating. I could plug the Rotel directly to the wall I suppose.
Posted By: Potatohead Re: New power center - 06/02/10 10:59 PM
You equipment won't really be using full power at all times, or all at the same time... I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: Wid Re: New power center - 06/02/10 11:38 PM

I thought not too but want to be safe.
Posted By: RickF Re: New power center - 06/02/10 11:40 PM
Wid, did you tell anybody what you told me on the phone?
Posted By: Wid Re: New power center - 06/02/10 11:42 PM

Pray tell what could that have been?
Posted By: RickF Re: New power center - 06/02/10 11:46 PM
About the 106db's you were hitting while listening to Air Supply?

You may want a couple of the Belkins ... just in case.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New power center - 06/02/10 11:47 PM

Posted By: Wid Re: New power center - 06/02/10 11:49 PM

LOL
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: New power center - 06/03/10 02:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
I've had the PF60 for a few years now, no problems.

Ditto. If you're not in a big hurry, watch their prices for a few weeks. I caught mine on sale from eCost for like $130 a couple of years ago.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: New power center - 06/03/10 10:28 AM
Yeah, the eCost sale... I think that's when I got mine, too!

The black ones were always more expensive than the silver ones IIRC.

I just tried to search for the thread, but really, I can't make the search useable....!
Posted By: Wid Re: New power center - 06/03/10 10:45 AM

I ordered one last night, got it in black.
Posted By: Pitbull24 Re: New power center - 06/03/10 04:10 PM
Hey guys, sorry for the newbie ?, but I have done a little research and find a lot of my findings confusing. I was interested in power centers when I was building my new room, but I had a Monster HTS1000 I bought a couple years ago, and I continue to use. Can you guys help me better understand the pro's of going with a unit like the Belkin or other similar products. They obviously look much better than a power strip, but what can they do my glorified power strip does not? Thanks. GO BLACKHAWKS!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New power center - 06/03/10 04:11 PM
They have blinky lights!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: New power center - 06/03/10 04:20 PM
And solid goaltending!
Posted By: jakewash Re: New power center - 06/03/10 04:50 PM
Brian I do not know what your 1000 is capable of but the PF 60 has delayable outlets for amplifiers and other items that you want to have turned on after your pre/pro or AVR. The PF60 also has a nice display that tells you what each block/section on the back is drawing for power or it can tell you the total draw. It also displays the current input voltage. I have seen mine drop form 121V to 105V and then back in an instance. I am sure I must be forgetting a couple other features that I don't use as well. \:\)
Posted By: Pitbull24 Re: New power center - 06/03/10 05:58 PM
Thanks Jay, the 1000 has a voltage display, but does not offer delayed power options for other components. I have not had any issues or concerns with the product; I guess I'm a bit lucky as we never(knock on wood) lose power during storms. I never get any humming, line noise, or picture quality issues, so I guess I have no apparent safety/protection reason to purchase one at this time.
Posted By: Wid Re: New power center - 06/07/10 10:05 PM

Got the Belkin in today and hooked up, it's a very nice unit. Much more substantial than the Monster unit it replaced. Just wondering, for those of you that have this unit what does the in coming voltage indicator read? Mine hovers right around 116.7 most times and has dropped to 115.7. I take it this is still an acceptable reading.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: New power center - 06/07/10 10:35 PM
I think in the US, anything between 110 and 120 is acceptable.
Posted By: Ajax Re: New power center - 06/07/10 10:36 PM
It indicates the incoming volatage you're getting from your power company. It will vary and, though mine rarely falls that low (I'm at 124.3 right now), I believe 115V is totally acceptable.
Posted By: Glitchy Re: New power center - 06/08/10 12:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: Ajax
It indicates the incoming volatage you're getting from your power company. It will vary and, though mine rarely falls that low (I'm at 124.3 right now), I believe 115V is totally acceptable.

In a perfect world for AV equipment ... the power conditioner would have a transformer and keep a constant voltage ... but those are acceptable!
Posted By: jakewash Re: New power center - 06/08/10 03:05 PM
Mine reads anywhere from 119 - 124V and I have seen it on the odd occassion drop suddenly to 105V(even lower some days) and then right back up to ~120V.
© Axiom Message Boards