Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BobKay Extended Warranty - 06/15/10 03:37 PM
Any input is greatly appreciated.

My Panny V-15 is about to run out of warranty. I received the forms for the extended warranty "program" from themselves last week.

My screen starting blowing plasma cells @ 3 weeks, so, though just a few cells in a couple of spots, they replaced the screen for me.

Are there other future issues, that can even be addressed, for which anyone thinks I should "cover" myself for $400 for 2 years?

Gracias, Bob

P.S. I'm usually a just-say-no-to-ext.-warranty kinda guy, so I'm not super inclined to shell out 4 bills for this.
Posted By: Murph Re: Extended Warranty - 06/15/10 03:45 PM
I think I am gathering that you had an initial pixel problem but the screen has already been replaced? If so, then personally, I'd take the $400 and put it into a 'new TV savings fund". That's a pretty good chunk of a new TV $ to spend on a 'maybe' item.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Extended Warranty - 06/15/10 03:54 PM
I agree with Murph. $400 is a lot towards your next TV.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Extended Warranty - 06/15/10 04:06 PM
Thanks Adrian, thanks, Murph. That's 2/2 long-time regulars for "nay." S'good 'nough fo' me.

I can now put part of the savings toward shipping my NR906 to Syracuse, since, just last night, it has decided that the only mode it wants to be in is overload shutdown every 20 minutes, 10 minutes, 5 minu....... Now it's down to about 40 seconds.

Yup! Whenever I think of a central point on the Eastern megalopolis, Syracuse pops right into my head.
Posted By: fredk Re: Extended Warranty - 06/15/10 05:18 PM
Buy the warranty. Sombody has to generate profits for these companies so they keep the TVs cheap for the rest of us. ;\)
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Extended Warranty - 06/15/10 05:23 PM
Isn't there some sort of law that applies here, where the product always waits until 1 day after the extended warranty expires, then it breaks down?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Extended Warranty - 06/15/10 05:30 PM
I'd skip it too, Bob. TVs are getting cheaper and cheaper, and you will likely be able to replace it for a similar model at half the cost when it comes time.... which, yes, will be the day after the warranty expires!
Posted By: BobKay Re: Extended Warranty - 06/15/10 07:01 PM
Well, then. It's decided. So I shredded the "offer."

Of course, if, on August 17th, five, thumb-sized "amoebas" appear and the cobalts turn into asphalts, I'll remember your names.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Extended Warranty - 06/16/10 04:25 PM
Start with Murph, we were just agreeing with him.
Posted By: fredk Re: Extended Warranty - 06/17/10 01:31 AM
\:D
Posted By: Murph Re: Extended Warranty - 06/17/10 03:04 PM
 Originally Posted By: BobKay
That's 2/2 long-time regulars for "nay." S'good 'nough fo' me.

I think you are assuming "long-time" equates to "amassed wisdom." I'm afraid I destroy that rule somewhat.

I stand by my advice though. I look at it in the long run, if I had bought extended warranty on every piece of electronics I have bought in the last few years, I probably would have spent enough money to buy a good used car. Where as I have had almost no troubles I can think of that make me wish I did buy it.

Well, OK my PS3 remains broke but even if I have to buy a new one, that's 300$ vs. the thousands it would have taken to cover all my electronics to be safe for that one item that does go bad.
© Axiom Message Boards