Axiom Home Page
Posted By: nickbuol Slingbox TO a TV? - 08/31/10 04:30 PM
I've got a Slingbox (one of the more basic ones) and it works great, however I was wondering if there was a cost effective way to watch my Slingbox on another TV instead of on a computer?

The reason I ask is that it would be nice to kick back at the apartment that I am living at, and watch a TV show from my Slingbox in my house (130 miles away) on my 29" TV here instead of on my 17" monitor.

If it is possible, how? I am researching a Roku box, but haven't found out if it will do it yet or not.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Slingbox TO a TV? - 08/31/10 04:36 PM
I guess that there used to be something called a SlingCatcher that did this, but it is discontinued and getting one runs about $600. I'm looking for cheap here since it is a temporary solution until we sell the house.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Slingbox TO a TV? - 08/31/10 04:41 PM
Your best bet is probably to connect your computer to the TV. Is it a laptop or desktop computer?
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Slingbox TO a TV? - 08/31/10 05:25 PM
Yeah, I was going to say Slingcatcher but WOW. I didn't know they were so rare. I got one for free for being a beta tester, I'm keeping it now... I think it was discontinued because of the buyout from Echostar/Dish.

One option is what Peter said, output your computer to a TV. Another, which I can't guarantee will work, is to use an iPhone or iPad w/ video out and run the Slingplayer app. If the app allows video out, then you can pump that video out to a TV.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Slingbox TO a TV? - 08/31/10 06:36 PM
I was hoping for something with a remote, but I guess since I want to go cheap, I can deal with it. I know that I have a cable somewhere that has a connector for the headphone jack and S-Video on a computer (laptop) and then the other end is just good ol' fashioned composite (yellow video, Red/White audio).

That will work since I have a laptop sitting around doing not much as I have a desktop at the apartment too.
© Axiom Message Boards