Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BBIBH Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/05/10 11:01 PM
Ok, so those who remember me will recall that I have been an Axiom fan since before this forum. I have owned my AX 3's since 1990, and visited the factory in that year.

I have found my pictures and brochure that was used as sales material by the stores that carried the Axiom line. My purchase of Axioms was spurred by a listening session at East Hamilton Radio, where I enjoyed the AX2's. I found them in St Catharines at a place (Unlimited Sight and Sound?) and lined them up to buy. When I arrived a few days later, they did not have the 2's in stock, so I was given the 3's for the same price as the 2's.

Both models can be seen in the 5th page of this borchure!! I will post my tour pictures soon, and bring my AX3's, this brochure and my pics to the party next weekend.

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/05/10 11:04 PM
That's awesome, Mike! Thanks for posting it!
Posted By: RickF Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/05/10 11:17 PM
That's cool as beans.

So Ian what's the story of the Cub(?) ... was/is that your floatplane? That's a gorgeous picture.
Posted By: fredk Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/05/10 11:31 PM
Thats some serious sub/center channel!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/05/10 11:54 PM
Totally Awesome!
Posted By: FireGuy Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/05/10 11:58 PM
I think it would be rather neat if Axiom could incorporate some of the design aesthics into a 30th Anniversary M22 or M3 release. BTW, "We Engineer Pleasure" has to be the business/marketing slogan of the century.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 12:15 AM
Totally cool.

Bring back the AX Sub Centre Channel!

Thanks, Mike! Really looking forward to meeting you next weekend.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 01:12 AM
Cool! Really wish I could make the party. Have fun, takes lots of pictures, and post stories on the boards so people like me don't feel quite as left out!
Posted By: JohnK Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 01:53 AM
BigBear(I may be the only one who remembers you that way, Mike), thanks for the interesting brochure. As Fred and Tom have already commented, maybe the most interesting thing there is the "AX SUB", which is actually a two-channel sub crossing over at 125 or 250Hz to an integrated T/M center channel speaker. Unusual concept, which Axiom chose to discontinue. One disadvantage would be that since the location of the center speaker is relatively fixed, the sub couldn't be optimally positioned for bass.

A rather curious suggestion in the brochure is that while using the small AX1s for mains and side surrounds, to use the much larger AX2s AX3s or AX5s for back surrounds.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 02:17 AM
Wow, that's old. Back then it was "Axiom is near the famous Algonquin Park". Now it's "Algonquin Park is near the famous Axiom headquarters" wink
Posted By: Adrian Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 02:38 AM
Interesting to see the old brochure and classic Axioms, thanks for posting.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 02:49 AM
I noticed that odd suggestion as well, John, and I'm surprised they were talking 7 channel surround at that point at all!
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 12:48 PM
Wow, now that brings back some memories. My AX2's were purchased in 1986 with paper route money I earned form a store called L&X Audio, on Oxford street in London, Ontario. That is before they had the angled box design. My brohter still has them and won't part with them (I have tried to buy them back, trust me). I have a pair of AX2 bookshelf in my living room with the angled box, I bought used a year ago for a couple of hunderd bucks! What a steel!

I sitll love the sound of the soft dome tweeter and the treated paper cone.

I remember having this brochure in the late 80's.

Does anybody know who the gentleman is holding the driver with the tie?

Thanks for posting.

paul

Original AX2's from 1986.

AX2 - Series 2 from early 90's

And I still have the original boxes and packaging for these babies!

Posted By: DaMagicman Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 01:19 PM
WOW..those speakers still look so awesome...I won't mind getting my hands on those Sub-Satellite Reference System..thanks for posting the pictures
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 01:37 PM
I remember in 1986 I was only about 16 years old. I had a pair of Lazer FXT8 floor standing speakers, Don't ask me why I still remember the model number (they had a poly woofer, very harsh sounding tweeter and a passive radiator, JUNK)! Anyway's, young and stupid, I borrowed an HK reciever and ended up blowing a voice coil. So the owner of the store, a hell of a nice guy, educated me on what clipping is and how it can dammage a speaker and we decied that it was time for a better sounding more robust speaker, he introduced me to Axiom. I loved the sound, even better than the Missions at twice the price, and I ended up with a pair of AX1.5's cuz the AX2's hadn't come in yet. A month later I moved to the AX2's.

Today, almost 25 years later I have a dedicated HT room and still think the Axiom M80 (v2) is one of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard, period!

paul
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 01:49 PM
Yes, my AX3's are also square box models. The AX2's you show first are the ones I had planned to buy!

I have a picture of me standing if front of the same instruments that Ian is in front of!

I hae said it many times, while I have had the pleasure to own speakers that had performance greater than my Axioms, the only speakers that have made the journey through life with me are my AX3's.

Here is a story - when I found the brochure, and went to scan for this post, the section with my AX3's pictured had a sticky note on it. "It read 38.82 each, Noreen, Joe Mon-Fri 9-5"
As these have a "lifetime warranty" in 1997ish I had some driver issues and called. I eventually spoke with Joe who told me they revamped all driver sets, and they would replace the damaged ones for free, I could upgrade the others for a small cost.

Talk about customer service, when I PM'ed Ian and said I was coming in Sept and would like them to check my 3's, he said no problem!
Posted By: Worfzara Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 02:16 PM
This will be my 3rd time heading to the Axiom plant, and I dealt with Joe also when I picked up my Epic 80-500 system. Joe was great, a straight shooter and set me straight on things like speaker cable, and speaker break-in’.

I have never had to deal with Axiom Service but I know they are there if I do ever need them. I have owned other speakers also, KEF, Tannoy, to name a few. Very nice sounding speakers, but none of these companies have ever invited me to the factory for a tour, B-B-Q, and festivities!

I look forward to seeing your AX3’s, I remember them in the store when in the 90’s but couldn’t afford to upgrade at that time.

It’s fun to look at the old stuff once in a while, again thanks for the posting the brochure, it brings back some great memories!

paul
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/06/10 06:06 PM
wow, these are some wonderful stories, gentlemen.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Axiom Brochure - Circa 1989 - 09/07/10 05:51 PM
Just noticed that sub/center speaker. That's what we have been asking for (and finally received with the VP180).

Y'know, maybe I will try the VP180/M2 combination after all ;))
© Axiom Message Boards