Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Wuchak Chesky Free Free 192khz MP3 downloads - 09/09/10 04:51 PM
I was looking at some discs at Chesky's site and they have a couple of free downloads from the Area 31 disc http://www.chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=SACD288 . This disc is in David's personal top 10 list. One of the tracks available for free is "The Girl from Guatamala". He says,
"
Now let's listen to Track 4, "The Girl From Guatemala." This is my all-time reference for a female vocal. The soprano is about 10 feet behind the mike. You hear her delicate voice right in the center of the orchestra. This track is a great speaker crossover test as her voice should be seamless from the low to the high ranges. Here, should be a sense of coherency to the voice from octave to octave. There should not be any suck-outs or brightness in the frequency range."

These tracks won't give the sound of the disc but they are still pretty darn amazing!
Posted By: Wuchak Re: Chesky Free Free 192khz MP3 downloads - 09/09/10 04:52 PM
Another one Stepping by Babatunde Olatunji http://www.chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=SACD295&productcategoryid=1
Posted By: Wuchak Re: Chesky Free Free 192khz MP3 downloads - 09/09/10 04:54 PM
There are handful more. Rather than link to them all I'll tell you how to find them. Go to Google and enter "free download site:www.chesky.com" without the quotes. Each link will be to a page with free downloads by a different artist. On the Google search results page it might say that some results were omitted. Click the link to display those results since they are to more songs.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Chesky Free Free 192khz MP3 downloads - 09/10/10 05:26 AM
Thanks, these are very cool.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Chesky Free Free 192khz MP3 downloads - 09/10/10 12:38 PM
It would be nice to put them up in flac format. Still, thanks for the link.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/10/10 02:24 PM
There, fixed the title.

Also, I don't think they'd release the files for free, at any better quality than the 192kbps MP3s, because they want you to buy their physical discs.
Thanks for the title correction. WHen I first saw the original title, I thought it was the "mp3" that was incorrect (why 192Khz with a lossy compression?) and that it was 192KHz FLAC or some other encoding. This now makes much more sense!
Posted By: Wuchak Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/10/10 04:27 PM
I thought it was a nice teaser for them. Even in a lossy format the tracks from Chesky still sound amazing. It convinced me to order their setup disk and their test disk for both my Father and myself.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/11/10 03:31 AM
I am going to make an order too. Lots of fun.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/13/10 12:38 AM
I ordered "10" which is a compilation and Beyond Words by a group called Oregon.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/13/10 02:52 PM
I guess they want to be the next Alabama. Or Kansas. Or Flo-Rida.
Posted By: Wuchak Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/24/10 07:40 PM
I ordered their Ultimate Demonstration disk and 10 Best the day I posted the link. Two weeks to the day (yesterday) my order arrived. Listening to them on my Anthem Integrated 1 through the Axiom M40ti's and REL Quake sub I am blown away. After the first listen I went and ordered another Chesky disc. I have never heard music so well recorded and my system has never sounded so amazing. Even though some of the tracks on 10 Best (which is a compilation of the best test tracks chosen by Home Entertainment Magazine editors) are not my normal musical taste they sound so great that I'm just sucked into the music. The track "Dinah" had me running to order the complete cd it is from "Bucky Pizzarelli - Swing Live". The recording puts you at the best seat in the jazz club http://chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=JD218&productcategoryid=1

All of my cd dollars are going to spent on Chesky discs for a while. They have a lot of compilations that I would like to get. If cd's were modes of transportation regular recordings would be roller skates and Chesky a Rolls Royce. The difference is that dramatic.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/24/10 08:41 PM
My disks arrived but I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Your post has me pretty psyched though.
Posted By: Wuchak Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/24/10 11:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Lampshade
My disks arrived but I haven't had a chance to listen yet. Your post has me pretty psyched though.

I think you'll be smiling when you listen. Tracks 11 to 15 are test tracks to help with system setup. Using test tones I had the image centered pretty well before but using the on in the Chesky disk, which is a click vs. a tone, I was able to dial it in perfect. The sound was about 4" to the right of center. Moving my balance control just out of the 12'clock position put it dead center and made a big difference in the overall sound presentation.

The test track for the subwoofer crossover disk might have been worth the price of the disk itself for the difference it made in the system. It's a series of low frequency tones and you set the sub volume and x-over so the tones all sound even. It took 10 minutes for me to get it dialed in but holy cow! I thought I had it pretty good before but now the sub blends seamlessly. There is a nice tight low end and the music is just all complete.

Frankly I was amazed at the difference fine tuning these two things in my system made. It took it up a whole level.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/26/10 04:52 AM
I have been listening to 10 Best. Very good! Interesting and enjoyable music. Great sounds. I am going to order a few more. I like Marta Gomez.
Posted By: CV Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/26/10 05:01 AM
I like Marta Gómez, too. And Rebecca Pidgeon, though I haven't spent as much time listening to her.

I ordered The Ultimate Demonstration Disc yesterday, so I look forward to hearing it. It would be cool if Axiom put a demo disc together at some point, or partnered with someone to make one. Anything that would help me fine-tune and appreciate my system that much more easily.
Posted By: Wuchak Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/28/10 03:51 AM
Bucky Pizzarelli - Swing Live arrived today. I'm listening to it now and it's fantastic! Time to get back to the NYC Jazz club that's in my office in Kansas : ).
Posted By: Wuchak Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/29/10 11:50 PM
Amazon has quite a few of the Chesky titles available used. I ordered 5 today all for $8 or less shipped. That should give me plenty to listen to for a little while. smile
Posted By: Wuchak Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/29/10 11:53 PM
Originally Posted By: CV
I like Marta Gómez, too. And Rebecca Pidgeon, though I haven't spent as much time listening to her.

I ordered The Ultimate Demonstration Disc yesterday, so I look forward to hearing it. It would be cool if Axiom put a demo disc together at some point, or partnered with someone to make one. Anything that would help me fine-tune and appreciate my system that much more easily.

The picture of Rebecca Pidgeon on her album cover reminded me of someone and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then it hit me today that she looks like the actress from the Steve Martin movie "The Spanish Prisoner". Sure enough it's her. I didn't know she was an actress and a singer.
Posted By: CV Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/30/10 05:45 AM
Yeah, she's married to David Mamet, who wrote several of the films she's in. A lot of people seem to dislike her acting, but I like her. I look forward to seeing her in RED.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: Chesky Free Free 192kbps MP3 downloads - 09/30/10 09:58 PM
I am totally into this disk ( 10). I haven't even unwrapped the other disc I bought yet.
© Axiom Message Boards