Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Lampshade The X X - 12/11/10 09:16 PM
I am listening to their cd for the first time. I am 4 or 5 songs into it. My first impression was that this is what happens when the music programs get cut from schools. I think there are thousands of little groups like this in basements all over the country but somehow these kids got a record deal.

I know what I said is mean and The XX is not the only band like this; but where is the talent? No musicality, no poetry, just the boredom of trying to fill up a cd.
Posted By: CV Re: The X X - 12/12/10 02:23 AM
Wow, they're taking quite a pounding here. What baffles me is how they're even on anyone's radar? There are tons of bands out there, some of which make a lot more money and are even less "talented."
Posted By: Henry66 Re: The X X - 12/12/10 04:35 AM
They made Bob Boilen's best music of 2009 list.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121484925&ps=rs

Musical taste is subjective.
Posted By: Lampshade Re: The X X - 12/12/10 05:01 AM
I agree 100%, Henry. I also feel a little bad criticizing someone's work and art.

Bob Boilen said:"It sounds as if all the instruments were played with just two fingers."

He enjoyed what I think is amateurish. Subjective it is.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: The X X - 12/12/10 07:00 PM
I've never heard of them until now. I've listened to three songs-Crystallized, Islands, and VCR. Is there a song that's supposed to be good? I totally agree with Lampshade's first post. And yes, music, like everything is totally subjective. But objectively smile , I can't stand it.

It's not just the music either. I find the music videos just as mundane.

And don't feel bad criticizing someone's work and art. Christ, the prime reason we develop is through criticism i.e. school and work. Nobody likes everything, and that in itself is a form of criticism,
Posted By: CV Re: The X X - 12/12/10 08:01 PM
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
And don't feel bad criticizing someone's work and art. Christ, the prime reason we develop is through criticism i.e. school and work. Nobody likes everything, and that in itself is a form of criticism,

DMB thread, everyone?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: The X X - 12/12/10 08:06 PM
Charles, you're hilarious! laugh

You go right ahead, and I'll start a walkie thread! smile
Posted By: CV Re: The X X - 12/12/10 08:10 PM
laugh
© Axiom Message Boards