Axiom Home Page
Posted By: billy p Axiom gift certificate - 01/20/11 10:04 PM
Why is there a 5% GST levied when you purchase these? If I'm going to use these when I purchase something will I have to pay GST again or not? confused

Just curious, Bill.... smile
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Axiom gift certificate - 01/20/11 10:05 PM
What is GST?
Posted By: billy p Re: Axiom gift certificate - 01/20/11 10:07 PM
Goods and service tax...sorry... blush. Can't avoid it...lol.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Axiom gift certificate - 01/20/11 10:41 PM
That's a good question you brought up, Billy. I agree, you shouldn't be paying GST on both ends of a gift certificate...my guess would be that if you pay GST on the certificate up front on say $100(total $105 w GST), then when you spend your certificate on a $1000 purchase, you'll pay $900 plus GST which means you only pay GST on the $900 as long as the certificate is applied BEFORE the GST is worked out. Hope that makes sense.
Posted By: billy p Re: Axiom gift certificate - 01/21/11 12:33 AM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
That's a good question you brought up, Billy. I agree, you shouldn't be paying GST on both ends of a gift certificate...my guess would be that if you pay GST on the certificate up front on say $100(total $105 w GST), then when you spend your certificate on a $1000 purchase, you'll pay $900 plus GST which means you only pay GST on the $900 as long as the certificate is applied BEFORE the GST is worked out. Hope that makes sense.

Okay...I understand now...lol. Once your in checkout, just enter your gift certificate and the total will be reduced by that amount...lol. I guess, I'm used to buying gift cards and paying face value for them blush. I'll start accumulating them ASAP. cool

Thanks, Bill... smile
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Axiom gift certificate - 01/21/11 01:16 AM
Is that a canada thing? I don't remember ever getting charged any taxes on my order
Posted By: billy p Re: Axiom gift certificate - 01/21/11 01:48 AM
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Is that a canada thing? I don't remember ever getting charged any taxes on my order

Yep...just about everything is taxed here.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Axiom gift certificate - 01/21/11 07:13 AM
GST is a national 'sales' tax.
Posted By: billy p Re: Axiom gift certificate - 02/18/11 04:43 AM
Okay...I just bought a $200 certificate, although the HST is shown it didn't apply in the final checkout process. I hope this clears up any confusion my original post may have caused... blush

Saving towards my next purchase... woo hoo...cool
Posted By: INANE Re: Axiom gift certificate - 02/18/11 06:11 AM
Do these things expire? I got one for letting folks audition my speakers couple years ago.
© Axiom Message Boards