Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 03:18 AM
I've been watching the Al Jazeera live blog on Tahrir Square.

Tanks have pulled back and there is gunfire into the square. It looks like Mubarak's goon squads may be moving in.
Posted By: fredk Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 05:44 AM
Hrrmpf. Not much interest here?

Posts are sporadic, so its very hard to tell what is happening. 5 killed over night, at least two shot, reportedly by the pro-Mubarak side, not the army. The army has detained a few protesters, but their allegiance is unknown.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 06:35 AM
Plenty of interest, I just don't have anything relevant to say that hasn't been said.

Except I hope that Zahi Hawass loses his position. Maybe. He is probably the best protector the artifacts have at this point.
Posted By: fredk Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 06:58 AM
5 killed 800 wounded over night. Protesters are coming back to the square in the morning. Looks like the army is staying neutral and the Mubarak supporters at least some of whom must be security/police are being held in check.
Posted By: davidsch Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 12:17 PM
It does look like things are deteriorating rapidly over there. I pray that God will bring peace to the region, relief for the people of Queensland, and help for Midwesterners affected by the blizzard.
Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 12:29 PM
This all began as a protest over the lack of food...right?
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 12:52 PM
I was watching BBC streaming live yesterday, and yes, it was very contentious when Mubarak's "supporters" arrived.

I hope that his son doesn't end up in power, and I also hope the U.S keeps out of it and doesn't prop up another dictator. The Egyptian government is second to Israel in military and economic aid.

The news clip used on The Daily Show that showed a teargas canister with a "Made in the U.S" sticker, was quite revealing smile . John Stewart's reaction was pretty funny.

In the words of Noam Chomsky yesterday - “This is the Most Remarkable Regional Uprising that I Can Remember”

Power to the people!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 12:56 PM
Originally Posted By: Argon
This all began as a protest over the lack of food...right?

Here ya go Dave.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 02:41 PM
Doesn't matter either way, as far as the US is concerned....if they get involved they'll be accused of meddling, if they don't get involved they'll get blamed for not doing anything.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 02:57 PM
The US only gets involved if it suits their interests.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 03:01 PM
Doesn't every country?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 03:08 PM
You're forgetting, Adrian. The US government is evil, conspiratorial, hates anybody who is poor or non-white, is controlling the weather and tectonic plates -- remember Haiti? -- and will stop at nothing until we control the world with the One True Corporate Government.

At least, the gist of what I gather from Cam's pov...
Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 03:16 PM
My momma taught me to never, never discuss politics or religion in public.....
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 03:20 PM
Didn't you just post about the Democratic Convention in NC? wink
Posted By: medic8r Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 03:22 PM
We shall not stop until all are under our flag:

Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 03:23 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Didn't you just post about the Democratic Convention in NC? wink

Ummm....well the intent was really about BBQ - and Yankees.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 03:26 PM
You're forgetting, Adrian. The US government is evil, conspiratorial, hates anybody who is poor or non-white (true for the most part, but where have I said that?), is controlling the weather and tectonic plates -- remember Haiti? (slander, Peter; and not fair)--

But yes, the rest has been proven, and it's called history. And most of the world thinks this way, which is why you don't travel abroad with an American flag on your nap sack etc.

and will stop at nothing until we control the world with the One True Corporate Government.

And this isn't already in the works? Have you ever heard of The Project For The New American Century?
Posted By: michael_d Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 04:05 PM
Post your anti US bullshit somewhere else. This is not your personal BB for your liberal retoric and I've about had my fill of it. There are other places for that, where folks actually want to read it / speak it.

Another thread to ignore, once again.......
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 04:35 PM
It's not anti U.S., but rather pro truth.

And I find it ironic that it's okay for someone to drag in a bunch of stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with my original response that solely had to do with the current state in Egypt. If someone can state something of the sort, and slander me, than I should have the right to respond. If you don't like my response, then direct your fury to the person who opened the book.

I didn't start it, Michael. I was merely replying to something directed to me, which had two false statements.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 04:50 PM
Cam, I always learn a lot from you, but I think you're way over the top on this.
Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 04:56 PM
See.....never, never.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 04:59 PM
I agree! That's 2 Roberts to none, right now.

Where'd the fun go? Bitches!
Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 05:58 PM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
I agree! That's 2 Roberts to none, right now.

Where'd the fun go? Bitches!

laugh
Posted By: Adrian Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 06:16 PM
Cam, can you elaborate on "false statements"?

Nevemind. I've got a more serious matter here....should I go with Santa Cecilia or Dark Emperador granite tiles?
Posted By: Zarak Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 06:18 PM
And here I thought the political threads where the fun ones. There was a really good one years back when Saddam was still in power.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 06:19 PM
What kind of tiles did he have in his kitchen?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 06:23 PM

Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 06:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Santa Cecilia or Dark Emperador granite tiles?

IMO...

The Dark Emperador won't offer enough contrast with the Acacia. I'd go with the Santa Cecilia.
Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 06:27 PM
My momma taught me never to discuss phone companies in public....
Posted By: Adrian Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 06:30 PM
Dawg-gawn-it! why do they call them 16x16 tiles when they're really 15 3/4" x 15 3/4"? this is throwing my measurements off.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 07:31 PM
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
[quote=pmbuko]You're forgetting, Adrian. The US government is evil, conspiratorial, hates anybody who is poor or non-white [i](true for the most part, but where have I said that?

I meant this as a distorted magnifying glass on your opinion of your neighbor to the south, taken to an absurd extreme. I didn't mean it as bait, but you seem to have bitten, and hard, saying that my exaggerations were "true for the most part."

I apologize for seeding this, but you should also knock it off.

So, virtual handshake and a real truce?
Posted By: cb919 Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Dawg-gawn-it! why do they call them 16x16 tiles when they're really 15 3/4" x 15 3/4"? this is throwing my measurements off.

To allow for 1/4" of grout? grin
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 09:11 PM
Originally Posted By: wheelz999
[quote=pmbuko]You're forgetting, Adrian. The US government is evil, conspiratorial, hates anybody who is poor or non-white [i](true for the most part, but where have I said that?

I meant this as a distorted magnifying glass on your opinion of your neighbor to the south, taken to an absurd extreme. I didn't mean it as bait, but you seem to have bitten, and hard, saying that my exaggerations were "true for the most part."

I apologize for seeding this, but you should also knock it off.

So, virtual handshake and a real truce?

It's hard to know one's intentions when they're behind a computer, and I'm honestly surprised that you wouldn't know how I would take that, as it's happened before. And for the record- the government serves the elite, is conspiratorial/withholds the truth, and isn't sincerely concerned about anybody who is poor or non-white, isn't just my opinion of my neighbor to the south, but rather my opinion of all states (modified to fit my "true for the most part" statement).

So, yes, virtual gimpy handshake.

Peace and love, Peter.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 09:34 PM
I think you missed the point. This is how I was hoping your post would look:

Quote:
yes, virtual gimpy handshake.

Peace and love, Peter.

Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 09:56 PM
My apologies to Michael and anyone else that may have been offended by my other post.

It's unfortunate that things came out the way they did, but I thought false statements were being made about me, and I replied accordingly. Otherwise, I wouldn't even of mentioned any of it.

Most importantly, although I loathe the practices of any government, I'm not anti said government.

I'm not using this as a cop out, as it's ultimately my fault, but I'm heavily involved in political and social issues (they literally consume my day), and, well, in all honesty, I lay in bed all day and don't have anyone to discuss these things with, so they stew, and I tend to let go when I do (my response to Peter). My Facebook page is exemplary of this, as a few users on this forum know.

Again, I'm sorry.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 10:00 PM
I think you missed the point. This is how I was hoping your post would look:

Quote:
yes, virtual gimpy handshake.

Peace and love, Peter.

I tried to edit it for you, but I was too late.

That's me, talk talk talk, with nothing else to do.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/03/11 10:01 PM
I'll happily get into it with you on Facebook, Cam. When I'm in the mood for hackle-raising. smile
Posted By: fredk Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 12:29 AM
You're forgetting, Adrian. The US government is evil, conspiratorial, hates anybody who is poor or non-white, is controlling the weather and tectonic plates -- remember Haiti? -- and will stop at nothing until we control the world with the One True Corporate Government.

No its an Empire (Que Darth Vadar music). The Republicans even said so. wink

Geez, who needs Egypt when you can rumble in the alley behind Axiom. grin

On a more serious note, all large countries that expand their interests end up behaving the same way. When you have the biggest stick...
Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 01:14 AM
So......how about them Packers?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 01:18 AM
Go Bears?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 10:54 AM
Originally Posted By: fredk
When you have the biggest stick...

I've had my whole adult life to deal with this issue, so I can sympathize with this and will say Fred is absolutely correct.....
Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 12:21 PM
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Originally Posted By: fredk
When you have the biggest stick...

I've had my whole adult life to deal with this issue, so I can sympathize with this and will say Fred is absolutely correct.....

He said "Stick"....not "Schtick" smile
Posted By: michael_d Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 04:23 PM
Cam –

I am irritated, not offended. But thank you for the apology. I am irritated because you have made comments in this thread (and others) that are clearly biased towards your personal feelings / beliefs in regards to the US and its government / political leaders; but to cause further irritation, you stated them in this thread as “being the truth”. You can not know that, or make that claim as what you are basing this truth on can not be completely accurate. It is an impossibility to know all the details surrounding any event unless you have personal first hand knowledge of everything that lead up to, during and after the event / situation. When you make statements in the manner you have, you are baiting others who disagree with your views into a debate. Debating the merits of watts per channel on this BB is OK, but not views on political events.

Political banter and arguments are healthy, as they are thought provoking, but only in a venue where it is expected, or more importantly, wanted. An A/V BB is not the moist appropriate place for it as the majority who come here do not wish to see it or discuss it. I study philosophy and enjoy thought provoking discussions, but I will not do so in this environment where there is little to no accountability to what is said.

As a side note, I am constantly seeking truth in things, whether it be the question; is there life after death, or just a higher awareness?... did the chicken, the egg or the idea “chicken” come first?....how in the hell did he get all those animals in the arc? …was Attila really as evil as history depicts? The systemic problem with that desire is; truth is only as truthful as a person’s perception and / or interpretation, which largely stems by an individual’s bias towards what they want to believe, or what is comfortable for them. The saying that there are three sides to every story is quite appropriate. Basing one’s idea of truth on historical events is also a flawed practice, as historical events are generally documented by man, which again, is laced with bias and rarely depicts real truth.

Peace……

Go Steelers!!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 04:47 PM
Concerning the ark:

The ark would give new meaning to the term "poop and scoop" I would think. It had 3 levels with the heavier animals on the lower deck. 2 each of the unclean and 7 each of the clean. No reason water animals to be on ark. There may have been some higher elevation areas that held some of the animals. Finding elements from the sea in mountainous areas helps support the idea of a flood, along with every tribe on earth having some history of a worldwide flood. Earth pre-flood era had a layer of water in the upper atmosphere that acted as a filter. This layer fell to earth helping to flood it.
Posted By: EFalardeau Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
No reason water animals to be on ark.

Except maybe for Water Buffalos!
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 07:28 PM
Also, don't forget that dinosaurs only ate meat after the Fall.
Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 07:36 PM
and...fish on Friday.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 07:55 PM
Re: Dinosaur

Experiment done by God before the creation of man on the earth. Then destroyed them.

Creation:

This rock we live on, with dinosaur bones, existed long before the Genesis creation. The Genesis creation created new life and living environment in 7 day period as stated. (Otherwise the creator God would be inept.)

Just my $.02.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 08:06 PM
Quote:
This rock we live on, with dinosaur bones, existed long before the Genesis creation....(Otherwise the creator God would be inept.)

You really should not try to reconcile a (mostly) literal reading of the Bible with science. It just doesn't work.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 08:36 PM
Sure it does. I just did it. My 2 statements put together like that threw it out of context entirely.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 09:30 PM
Quote:
This rock we live on, with dinosaur bones, existed long before the Genesis creation.
*citation needed
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 09:54 PM
77 generations from Adam to Jesus. Using a value of 52 as length of a generation gives 4000 years. Anyway, regardless how long a generation is, the bones are determined to be much, much older. That is unless our method of determining age is faulty.

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 10:02 PM
Is this pre-Genesis time period also how you explain the presence of fossils attributed to our human evolutionary ancestry?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 10:03 PM
Ah, there's the catch. Evolution isn't scientific. It's a religion.

No one can prove those bones are human, any more than you can prove they are primate.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 10:08 PM
Anybody who makes that claim does not understand the essence of science. I cannot continue this topic without becoming frustrated, so I will stop.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/04/11 11:44 PM
Sorry bout that. It was not my intent.

I have no formal scientific education. If I had, my belief system may be totally skewed into mass conformity.

I'm known by friends as someone that thinks outside of the box most of the time. I try to come up with ideas that are what I have pieced together from various sources, then apply logic to what it is that I do know, and sometimes come up with a totally different viewpoint than others have seen. I see no harm in this, it's a step away from a robotized society. One that might be totally wrong, but think they are right.
Posted By: fredk Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/05/11 01:00 AM
Revolutions, empires and religious ramblings, oh my!

Toto, dude, we aren't in Kansas are we?
Posted By: Argon Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/05/11 01:02 AM
I tried.....I am outta this one....
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/05/11 01:02 AM
smile
Posted By: fredk Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/05/11 01:17 AM
Originally Posted By: Argon
I tried.....I am outta this one....

Really? Hope it was not my last post as it was meant to be a humorous comment on the rather etherial nature of the turns this thread has taken.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/05/11 01:44 AM
When I leave messages this thought always goes through my mind: "It's better to appear a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."
Posted By: BobKay Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/11/11 09:00 PM
Well, Hosne's been officially hosed. We'll see where it goes from here. If my hair and beard were still black, I could go over there now and have a blast! Then again, have you seen some of the baaad dye jobs on some of those sheiks?
Posted By: Adrian Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/11/11 09:04 PM
That's not dye, it's black gold.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/11/11 09:13 PM
Or a kohl Sanchez?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/11/11 09:16 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
When I leave messages this thought always goes through my mind: "It's better to appear a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt."

That never stops anyone here. Go for it!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/11/11 09:24 PM
HA! Yesterday, I told my mom that I'd love to go there and participate in something that's changing peoples lives, and so historical.

The general consensus amongst numerous Egyptian journalist's and Egyptian citizens (Al Jazeera news is my source), is support for the army/military interim (hopefully anyway) rule, but I'm always weary of any de facto power; especially a military one. I just hope there's not another putsch (1952).
Posted By: BobKay Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/11/11 09:36 PM
Um, you're a white boy. I don't think you'd pass.

Then again look at that awesome Middle Eastern disguise they did on that "actor" in Team America: World Police.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/11/11 09:43 PM
My wheelchair is black. So when I'm in it, I'm technically mulatto.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/11/11 10:40 PM
If someone were violently shaking their head back and forth, or you were scooting very, very fast, then yes, maybe you could.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Egypt, not looking good. - 02/12/11 01:52 AM
As long as there were no flashing strobe lights...
© Axiom Message Boards