Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 01:03 AM
After 35 years, my trusty Panasonic finally give up and died. Well, actually its only kinda crippled, but its time to take it out back and put it out of its misery.

I used mine daily for a variety of things from defrosting to reheating to simple cooking.

Is there any one model or brand that stands head and shoulders above the rest or are they all more or less the same now?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 01:08 AM
Panasonic is still one of the best to buy. We had an LG in our old house that was very nice and the Whirlpool we have now is not nearly as good in comparison.
Posted By: fredk Re: Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 01:42 AM
Are you talking about the ones with the inverter tech? I thought these originally had issues.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 01:58 AM
My parents have had one of the inverter ones for a number of years and no problems other than finding a place to put it as it is quite large.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 02:01 AM
I bought a GE from Sam's club for around $100 about 8 years ago. No trouble with it so far.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 04:54 AM
I've been very happy with the two Panasonics we've had. Less happy with GE and Amana, although those were a long time ago.
Posted By: HomeDad Re: Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 05:12 AM
Funny I just replaced our microwave 3 days ago, our old one was a DCS that matched our oven that I paid $500. for, it only lasted 6 years and we were never that impressed by it. I bought a Panasonic NN-SD978S 2.2 Cubic Feet 1250 Watts Microwave, Stainless Steel from Amazon that I paid $149. for.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FZF7X2/ref=oss_product.
I've only had it a couple days but so far I'm really pleased. It does a lot more and looks really good.
Posted By: fredk Re: Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 05:54 AM
Quote:
I bought a Panasonic NN-SD978S 2.2 Cubic Feet 1250 Watts Microwave, Stainless Steel from Amazon that I paid $149. for.

A quick check of Canadian prices reveals I can get this gem for only $399. shocked

I like the idea of the inverter tech, but there are still a lot of posts about early failure.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 06:23 AM
We've had three Panasonics over the last five years. You'd think that we'd learn. But when they work, they're good. They look nice, they're reasonably priced, and the features are good.

The first was an over the range model with the exhaust fan. The motherboard died and was serviced and replaced under warranty. We left that one when we moved.

The new one was an in-cabinet model. Smaller box yet more powerful than the last one, and had a larger interior space. It lasted about a month before it started smoking from the right side one day.

Took it in to the repair shop recommended by the retailer, and he said go back to the retailer (Audio Video Unlimited) and get a new one, on us. The didn't have the same model, so we went down about $50 (which they refunded us), and it's been fine now for about a year and a half.

Confidence inspiring, no? wink

Still, I'd buy another Panasonic if I had to. We use it every single day.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Need a new microwave - 02/05/11 10:14 PM
I've had a couple of Panny microwaves(stand alone) through the years, they've been very reliable for me.
Posted By: fredk Re: Need a new microwave - 02/07/11 02:08 AM
Well, Panny it is. I went to a few shops in town today and they had a GE, an LG Panny Panny Panny Panny...

Looks like Panasonic has cleaned up in the Microwave market. Everyone I talks to said buy the Panny.
Posted By: alan Re: Need a new microwave - 02/07/11 03:38 PM
Hi Fred,

I bought a cheesy off-brand (Emerson)at a Costco in Florida about 15 years ago because it was so cheap (under $100) and it's still working perfectly (unlike my stupid Oppo DVD, which failed after 3 years).

I have a compact Toshiba on my boat that also works well.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: medic8r Re: Need a new microwave - 02/07/11 05:46 PM
Originally Posted By: alan
I bought a cheesy off-brand ...

Mmmm, cheesy ...

Posted By: J. B. Re: Need a new microwave - 02/07/11 06:07 PM
first one i bought here in N.A. was a Panasonic that lasted me about 20 years. then i bought another make and it stopped working after about 1 year; and it did not heat evenly.
bought another Pana and been happy ever since...

until a couple of years ago, i used to do all my cooking in the microwave, so it was used a lot, even slow cooking 4-5 liters of spaghetti sauce (about 8 hours in all).
Posted By: BobKay Re: Need a new microwave - 02/07/11 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By: J. Bellemare

until a couple of years ago, i used to do all my cooking in the microwave,

Then, my good man, you were either a bachelor, or Jane Jetson.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Need a new microwave - 02/07/11 10:19 PM
Could he be Elroy all grown up?
Posted By: alan Re: Need a new microwave - 02/07/11 10:41 PM
ha, ha!
© Axiom Message Boards