Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/07/11 07:38 PM
They sell these ZT computers through Costco. A friend of mine just bought one. He told me it's fast and does not come with any preloaded software.

I continue to have troubles with my DT recognizing my external drives and I can't figure out why. An IT friend of mine couldn't either. He told me I should probably just re-format and load Windows 7.

Now I'm thinking if I have to do that, it might be time to by another box.

I do not play games or use my PC for the HT or video editing. Just some photo editing, MS Office and auto cad. The link to the product page does't work, it's a ZT DT Affinity tower for $599.

http://www.costco.com

Posted By: medic8r Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/07/11 07:57 PM
Dang, they are now saying out of stock, no additional quantities.
Posted By: medic8r Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/07/11 07:57 PM
There are other models for a little more.
Posted By: michael_d Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/07/11 08:50 PM
??? I just put one in my shopping cart. you screwing with me JP? Karma, remember karma... smile
Posted By: medic8r Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/07/11 08:55 PM
That's weird.

Maybe it was a similar but different model. Anyway, good luck and have fun!
Posted By: jakewash Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/07/11 10:22 PM
Is this the one?

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11595849

I would want to put a better video card in it but that's about it.
Posted By: michael_d Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/07/11 10:28 PM
YA, that's the one.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 04:29 PM
Meh. You can get a similar PC from a name-brand manufacturer like Dell, HP, etc for the same price.

I've never heard of "ZT Computers". If that were a stupid-cheap deal ($299?), maybe, but not for $599. Warranties and 24x7 tech support don't mean a thing when the company ceases to exist in a year.

Just my $.02...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 04:50 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Peter, here.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 05:55 PM
I'm agreeing too, except to say that both HP and Dell's "cheap" PCs are total junk, and will likely suffer a component failure just out of warranty. But that's what the people want, the cheapest possible PC they can get. There's no reason to believe that this ZT isn't exactly the same thing.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 06:19 PM
Also true. Hell, we've got $1200 HPs at work, and they suffer component failures.
Posted By: medic8r Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 06:55 PM
You must not be using Monster Cable surge protectors or power supply regulators.
Posted By: michael_d Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 07:03 PM
The trouble I'm having right now is with my HP Pavilion a1767C. I paid around $1200 new. I had to replace the hard drive a month after the warranty expired. I had to replace the video card shortly after that. Plus, they come loaded with all kinds of crap that I have not had much success in removing without affecting something else.

I was actually hoping you computer guys would look at the components that the ZT has stuffed in the box to let me know if they are any good or not. They are supposed to be your basic bare bones machines that run well with good parts at a reasonable price because they do not come with a bunch of fluff loaded onto them.

I'm partially inclined to just build something, but I know myself too well. I'd have a couple grand wrapped up it before long.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 07:07 PM
Get a Zotac ZBOX barebones. They have RAM, HD, BD-ROM drive all pre-installed, with HDMI+Sound output (you just need to buy the OS). I've built several machines based around their current and previous generation barebones, and their first Atom motherboards. Haven't had any problems with them yet.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 07:55 PM
If Dell and HP aren't recommended, what IS recommended for assembled systems?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 07:59 PM
Chris, I'm not sure whether to start a new thread or just crap on Mike's, but I'm intrigued by the Zotac boxes.

All I really do with the PC I have in the living room is web browsing and music streaming. I like separate devices for BD and DVR functions, but I do like the option of being able to stream internet content to the TV at 1080.

I know nothing about Ubuntu or other Linux systems, but buying another copy of Windows makes this kind of setup a different proposition.

Could I get some kind of decent music streaming and web browsing to work under Ubuntu on one of these machines?

That would allow me to repurpose the existing server/HTPC machine to another room.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 08:00 PM
I like places like NCIX. Great for the DIY or pre-assembled custom units.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 09:01 PM
I've not tried Ubuntu on the ZBOXes yet. I don't even have a spare one around right now, because they sell as quickly as I get them in.

I don't think there should be any hardware compatibility problems with the newest Ubuntu 10.10. Ubuntu ships with Firefox. I manually install the 64-bit Flash plugin, but that's not difficult. After that everything else is probably easier than Windows, albeit a little bit different.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 09:12 PM
Thanks, Chris. Recommendations for a particular model of the many ZBoxes for my application?

Is there another flavor of Linux I should be looking at instead?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 09:26 PM
Ubuntu has the widest adoption, by far. It has even infiltrated out Fedora/RedHat fortress at work.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 09:33 PM
I've been using the ZBOXHD-ID34BR lately, but always watching for newer models.

Yeah, use Ubuntu, it's the best desktop (and perhaps server).
Posted By: michael_d Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 10:02 PM
Those Zbox's are pretty small. Cute little fellers.

No worries about crapping on this thread Tom. I think I am heading the direction that Chris has recommended.

I don't think the Zbox is for me though.

Any other places I should shop around for one of these pre-assembled machines? I do want to stay with Windows.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 10:16 PM
Puget Systems seems to get good reviews. Probably not as cheap as Dell, HP, etc.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: What do you think of this DT PC? - 02/08/11 10:17 PM
The current Zbox actually comes with a mount that fits on the VESA screw holes in the back of a monitor, so the machine can sit there.
© Axiom Message Boards