Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d SAT Study guide suggestions? - 02/13/11 10:27 PM
I've grown painfully aware that my 17 yo has no hopes of being accepted into college through the merits of his brilliant GPA. I think his only chance is to smoke the SAT's next year. I have been searched Amazon for a good study guide, but have become numb looking at all of them. Considering his unwillingness to actually read a book, I think something via digital media would be the best choice, with the assumption that he might actually run through the questions and tests on his computer. If anyone has a teenager that is currently using a good one, or if anyone of you are young enough to remember what you used, and found it helpful, I'd love to hear your recommendations.

PS: I've already tried the school, and they have not been very helpful.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: SAT Study guide suggestions? - 02/13/11 10:43 PM
I had a 2.3 GPA, and didn't even bother to take the SATs or ACTs. I just went to a community college with the plans to transfer to a 4 year school after getting an Associate degree.

That didn't work out either, as I was offered a job during my final semester, so I left school.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: SAT Study guide suggestions? - 02/13/11 11:43 PM
I am wondering about this as well. My oldest daughter turns 17 next month. She should finish her Junior year with around a 4.2 GPA (on a 4 point scale... Yeah, not sure how that works either, but it is like having "extra credit")...

Anyway, every school wants SAT and/or ACT scores. I would love for her to hit it out of the park with her SATs and really open up the options.
Posted By: BobKay Re: SAT Study guide suggestions? - 02/14/11 05:22 PM
Some of the test-coaching centers have pretty good track records, though you may not have one close. If he isn't a study-hound, then any guide book won't be as useful as having to actually go (prepared I hope) to a classroom to accomplish the preparation.

Or, find a college kid who broke 1400 and have him/her (now a HER just might do it) and pay them for tutoring.

And there are (good) colleges that haven't required SAT's for a while (unless they're reverted in the past 10 years).

The whole process is a bonafide part-time job for parents.

Best of luck.

Posted By: davidsch Re: SAT Study guide suggestions? - 02/14/11 06:16 PM
My advice would be make sure that your son takes the ACT as well as the SAT. My wife was a great student, but did not do very well on the SAT. She took the ACT and did well enough to be offered a scholarship. The format is different and seems to suit some people better. I don't have any study tricks for you, though, as my oldest is only 9 years old.
© Axiom Message Boards