Axiom Home Page
Posted By: CatBrat Cat water fountain - 02/14/11 09:46 PM
My cat wakes me up so I can turn on the bathroom facet so she can get a drink, sometimes in the middle of the night, but usually about an hour before my alarm goes off. (grrr). So today, I've decided to go to Petco and look at the cat water fountains. I've been looking at them today and reading the reviews and so far, this one seems to be the best one.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Cat water fountain - 02/14/11 10:18 PM
My wife's cousin has that one. The drone of the water pump is pretty annoying.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Cat water fountain - 02/14/11 10:22 PM
I think Brian should wake up kitty an hour BEFORE she wakes him up, and give her some water.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cat water fountain - 02/14/11 10:24 PM
I was wondering about that. Reading the reviews, most of them say it's quiet. Some say it's noisy. One said they had to turn it off to watch a movie. One said you could only hear the trickling of the water. It's almost as if it depends on whether the motor spins evenly or is off-center or something.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cat water fountain - 02/14/11 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
I think Brian should wake up kitty an hour BEFORE she wakes him up, and give her some water.

I like this idea, except it would probably backfire and she would get me up even earlier to get even.
Posted By: Kruncher Re: Cat water fountain - 02/14/11 10:29 PM
We got our kitty last fall from a shelter. She'd come to them from being abandoned in an empty house. Seems that she'd taught herself to drink from the toilet.

Now she won't drink even the freshest water from a bowl, or even straight from the tap, no matter what we try.

We just make sure that we clean the toilets very regularly. No fancy fountains required.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cat water fountain - 02/14/11 10:32 PM
I keep the lid down to make sure she doesn't get in it. I would think that if you got one of these fountains, she could easily be retrained, because cats love running water. (I reread your message. Maybe not.)

Put the water dish or fountain on top of the closed lid?
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Cat water fountain - 02/15/11 12:24 AM
Don't forget to flush Kruncher!

1 of my 2 cats always drinks out of the faucet. I'm thinking about buying a pet fountain from amazon. If you get one you like please let me know.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cat water fountain - 02/15/11 01:21 AM
I checked all of the local stores in my hood today and no body had this particular one, so I ordered it from the manufacturer Veterinary Ventures. It was $79.89 for fountain and shipping. I might of saved $10 by ordering form Amazon, but I prefer to deal with manufacturer in case of a problem.

If you google for "drinkwell original vs platinum" you will find people who have purchased both and prefer the platinum.
Posted By: Argon Re: Cat water fountain - 02/15/11 12:44 PM
These are all excellent reasons to get a Dog. We have a cat but she sleeps in the garage - mainly because we are avoiding the coyotes. She would actually prefer to be outside. The dogs sleep in the house with the rest of the pack - and never wake me up. They get up when they hear the alarm.

This fountain looks to me like something else to have to keep clean.....
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cat water fountain - 02/15/11 02:50 PM
Yeah. It'll be a weekly chore to clean it, but if it'll keep the cat from waking me up in the middle of the night, it'll be worth it. Concerning dogs, I'm just not a dog person. Every dog I've every tried to own turned out to be a big problem that I had to get rid of. Ripping up carpets, scaring kids, etc, etc...
Posted By: Argon Re: Cat water fountain - 02/15/11 05:11 PM
You shoulda called Ceasar.
Posted By: PeterChenoweth Re: Cat water fountain - 02/17/11 02:19 AM
We have one of these for our two cats. Have had it for about 3 months, no complaints.

http://www.hagen.com/usa/cats/addinfo/catit_fountain.html

It's not a fountain in the sense that it shoots a jet of water, but it does pump water through a filter and up to sheet over the plastic bowl. So it doesn't make a running-water sound, more like an aquarium air pump.

The cats seem to like it, it's not very loud, and it wasn't very expensive. I bought ours at the local pet supplies place. It was like $35.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cat water fountain - 02/17/11 03:52 AM
I've already ordered the one I mentioned at the top. I had it sent to where I work. According to an e-mail I just received, it should arrive at work on Saturday when nobody is there.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Cat water fountain - 02/17/11 05:08 AM
Just like a cat, huh Brian? smile
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cat water fountain - 02/22/11 04:03 PM
My cat's water fountain arrived today at work. Someone commented that it looked kind of like a urinal. I don't think the cat will notice that though.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Cat water fountain - 02/22/11 05:24 PM
Unless you use it in error in the middle of the night. I'm pretty sure he'll notice then.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cat water fountain - 02/23/11 12:09 AM
Cat water fountain is setup and running on the kitchen floor. I'll be running power to it later, if I like it there.

The cat did the usual cat stuff with it. Afraid of it at first and any little noise set her off jumping. She would get closer and closer in different looking sessions. Hasn't touched it yet, but came close.

The motor makes a slight humming noise, but nothing loud (yet), most of the other noises around the house drown it out.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Cat water fountain - 03/16/11 06:59 PM
I've had this cat water fountain running on the kitchen floor now for about 3 weeks. She started drinking from it after the first week.

Noise level: The only thing I hear is the water making gurgling noises, which doesn't bother me. On a couple of occasions, I heard some vibration, but I just wiggled the water reservoir on the back of the unit and it quit making noises.

I don't have to refill it during the week. I just clean it and refill it every Saturday morning. So far, the only cleaning I've had to do is just wipe the surfaces.
© Axiom Message Boards