Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pmbuko Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 02:52 AM
I'd sure love to try one. (link to slideshow / recipe)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 03:03 AM
Sounds good to me. Could use some cheese, though.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 03:04 AM
That does look good!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 03:11 AM
Gotta disagree on their estimate of a BLT. The restaurant at work makes an excellent one that doesn't use iceberg (blech, ptoooie) lettuce and uses a pesto aioli instead of mayo.

Of course, it's also too damn expensive.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 05:26 AM
I don't understand how this sandwich is "better" than having the deconstructed parts on my plate NOW instead of six hours from now.

Ken, I actually really like iceberg lettuce. It's sweet and crunchy.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 05:27 AM
Ken's a lettuce snob.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 05:53 AM
Maybe it's one of those things where it's better fresh, and one usually gets it bagged.

I prefer a more full flavored green, myself.

Sean, you're right.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 01:58 PM
So you leave the meat out overnight, not in the fridge?

I don't think they could serve it that way at a restaurant..

Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 02:27 PM
You could make that sandwich much better by using a less fatty and more tender cut of beef to bite into such as the filet. Filet would be easier to chew cold. I like fat on meat as much as the next but I don't like eating cold fat. Rather than just using white button mushrooms using a medley of mushrooms like portobello, shiitake and chanterelles which will enhance the flavour of the beef more. White button mushrooms are mild and have no flavour. Love the idea of using bone marrow (my favorite food in the world) to help sear the mushrooms. Foie Gras would work great as well.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 03:47 PM
Yeah, my wife pointed that out. She said it sounded pretty chewy.
Posted By: fredk Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 06:43 PM
What's the point of leaving it sit for 6 hours (insert question mark here as I can`t, my keyboard is fubar...)
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 06:44 PM
I liked how he prepared the mushroom mixture. This sandwich is all about "the beef" and how to maximize its flavour. You would want to do it through umami rich foods which he did. The addition of the bone marrow, worcestershire sauce (the fermented anchovy that is present)and brandy reduction all enhance the "meatiness" of the beef really well. That is another reason I would use a mushroom like shiitake as the base instead of white button mushrooms since they are very rich in umami. Adding just a pinch of ground star anise would really kick the mushrooms mixture up to a whole another level as well. Not enough to taste but to maximize the umami that is going on in this sandwich.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/20/11 07:45 PM
Originally Posted By: fredk
What's the point of leaving it sit for 6 hours (insert question mark here as I can`t, my keyboard is fubar...)

That's the time between "getting up early to go shooting" and lunchtime. Authenticity is everything.

I imagine the sandwich would only taste exactly right if you had a bit of gun oil and powder residue on your hands, some kind of spaniel drooling over the possibility of sharing your sandwich, and a few freshly killed birds stuffed in various jacket pockets.

I'll let you know in a couple of months, assuming that a pudelpointer is an acceptable substitute for a spaniel.
Mmm...gamey.
Posted By: fredk Re: Shooter Sandwich: best sandwich ever? - 03/21/11 12:52 PM
Originally Posted By: bridgman
Originally Posted By: fredk

That's the time between "getting up early to go shooting" and lunchtime. Authenticity is everything.

So, after making this I have to go out and shoot something. I don't think my lanlord is going to appreciate that.
© Axiom Message Boards