Axiom Home Page
Posted By: michael_d Who's up for a trip to Germany in 2012? - 06/16/11 03:03 PM
After the Nurburgring post, and not really knowing much about it, I started looking into the options of running around the ring. I wanna go.

I've been planning to check out Oktoberfest for about a decade now, plus hit the autobahn. Seeing the country, castles, etc...this is a part of Europe I have not been to before, but have always wanted to see. There's too many reasons to not make this trip.

I'm thinking Sept, 2012. Two weeks or so....

Anyone else interested? A guide who knows the country and can speak German would be nice to travel around with.

Don't be a puss Tom. Beer and driving fast cars, who could want more?
I was interested even BEFORE you started calling me names. smile

Philosophically, I'd love it. I actually spent a fair amount of time looking at the Nurburgring stuff, too. Although - given the wide disparity in our skill level - I'd probably get more enjoyment out of being your passenger than executing it myself.

Financially, my daughter's going to be in college. And thus did the dream die.

We spent a couple weeks in Germany (with some great side trips) about 18 years ago. That's the only time I've been to Europe, and it was wonderful. I don't have enough language or enough experience to guide anybody out of a wet paper sack, though.

Still, I'm going to be thinking about this. I'm not sure I've done anything quite that crazy yet, but I'm trending that direction.
Which is first, racing on the track or enjoying the Oktoberfest? smile
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Who's up for a trip to Germany in 2012? - 06/16/11 07:56 PM
Funnily enough, we have great friends in Berlin, and will be living at their house, and they have graciously offered one of their cars for our use.

So the choice now is Saab, Audi of Porsche.....
Posted By: BobKay Re: Who's up for a trip to Germany in 2012? - 06/16/11 08:37 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

Financially, my daughter's going to be in college. And thus did the dream die.

We spent a couple weeks in Germany (with some great side trips) about 18 years ago.

Based on the time frame, Tom, I'm gonna bet that the romance of the latter is the pecuniary reason for the former. Funny how those things work out, isn't it? I mean, those things that keep one from indulging in mid-life juvenalia.
Well, Bob, it was pre-offspring, but my kids were made in the USA. wink
Posted By: Zarak Re: Who's up for a trip to Germany in 2012? - 06/17/11 01:35 AM
Been to Germany a couple of time and love it over there. Haven't been to Munich or had a car while there though (their public transit puts the US to shame). So I'd love to do both. Not going to happen since I'll have two kids closing in on 3 and 1 by then.

I am however doing Rosetta Stone German at the moment. If I learn enough between now and then, can I get my trip paid for as your guide/translator? grin
Posted By: fredk Re: Who's up for a trip to Germany in 2012? - 06/17/11 02:56 AM
Originally Posted By: michael_d
Anyone else interested? A guide who knows the country and can speak German would be nice to travel around with.

Buy me the ticket and I'll even wear lederhosen!

Munich is a beautiful city. I still have a Lowenbrau glass a friend stole for me when we had dinner at the brewery.

Oh, 300 clicks on the autobahn is a pretty cool experience. grin
Posted By: JohnK Re: Who's up for a trip to Germany in 2012? - 06/17/11 03:50 AM
Yeah, Mike; recalling your Oktoberfest discussion about four years ago. As I mentioned then, I've traveled in Germany a couple times and one thing I really liked was a short cruise(only about three hours total)on the Rhine.

As for my ability in German, although I had to take a course in "Chemical German"(that was actually the name of the course)in undergrad for my B.S., about all I remember now is "ja", "nein" and "oxygengenerator", so I wouldn't be much help.
Funny. A good friend in high school was named "Chemical German". grin
Posted By: Adrian Re: Who's up for a trip to Germany in 2012? - 06/17/11 12:15 PM
If I planned a "motorsport" trip to Europe, I'd go in June and hit LeMans, then head to Germany and check out the Porsche museum(take a 917 for a spin), head to the Nurb and check out the track and then on to Britain for the Goodwood Festival of Speed. I think I need a private jet.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Who's up for a trip to Germany in 2012? - 06/17/11 01:57 PM
If you're planning anything special, better do it this year.

I think that everyone's bucket list will be in high gear by June of 2012. Every hotel, restaurant and venue seat in the entire world will be booked through December 20th. Like, duh.
So Tom's a maybe, and everyone else wants to live vicariously through me. OK, I'm good with that. Fred will be my bitch if buy his ticket. lol

But seriously, if your interested, shoot me a PM. Time does change things as priorities change, but I'm pretty solid - this time anyway.
© Axiom Message Boards