Axiom Home Page
Posted By: grunt OCD Stories - 07/18/11 05:50 PM
Since this hobby can bring out the OCD in some people I thought I’d start an OCD tread (sorry if one already exists). It would be interesting to hear of some issues people have out there.

I’ll start with a friend of mine who has quite a few “issues.” To me the funniest one is that she has to eat one portion on her plate at a time and won’t eat any of the foods if while on the plate they touch each other. So for example on a plate with meat, potatoes and veggies she’ll eat all the veggies then all the potatoes and then the meat. If any of them tough each other she won’t eat that part, pushing it to the side. I still can’t figure out how she eats things like soup, spaghetti etc. . ., but she claims those are just one type of food, but the spaghetti better not touch the garlic bread. wink
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 06:27 PM
I too have a "friend" who couldn't do his job as well as he does without some level of OCD. Computers like strict adherence to rules, and perfectly formatted data. Although he sometimes does find it hard to finish projects because the level of order required to finally call it done just isn't achievable.

He sometimes wonders what life would be like without the driving need to reverse the entropy around him, but also worries that without those compulsions he'd cease to be himself.
Posted By: medic8r Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 06:29 PM
Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
... worries that without those compulsions he'd cease to be himself.

Now that's a great storyline right there!
Posted By: CV Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 06:31 PM
I know people with that issue. I don't have a problem with different foods touching, but I do tend to eat each part of the meal separately. I have a little of each every once in a while, but yeah, the tendency is to have it progress from one part of the meal to the next.

At work I also have my tendencies, but again, it's not a rigid outline. I tend to do certain things in a certain order, but I do change it up according to priorities.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 06:37 PM
Here's an odd one. It seems most OCD behavior I've seen portrayed by Hollywood would have a serious problem with dust gathering on a surface. But that doesn't bother me, er I mean my friend, at all. Dust deposited by natural forces is considered orderly to me. But if someone were to disturb that dust in the least, the whole surface would have to be cleaned.

That's normal, right?
Posted By: medic8r Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 06:51 PM
Pretty harmless, unless you go around looking for irregularly cleaned surfaces and then compulsively clean them. As with all psychiatric disorders, the answer depends on how intense something is and, most importantly, whether it adversely affects your quality of life.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 07:02 PM
My friends make fun of me when they see me doing quirky things, but yeah, it has a minimal effect on my day-to-day life.
Posted By: medic8r Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 07:13 PM
Check out this line of Xs with one missing.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 07:34 PM
There's not one missing, but a non-equal number of Xs on either side of the gap.
Posted By: NDinUSA Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 07:59 PM
Is the x really "missing" or did it just go to the bathroom?
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 08:02 PM
My friend says if you're REALLY OCD, you'd have to refer to it as "CDO" so that the letters are in alphabetical order.

Chris, The Perfect is the enemy of The Good. Trust me on this.
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 08:54 PM
Here's an odd one. It seems most OCD behavior I've seen portrayed by Hollywood would have a serious problem with dust gathering on a surface. But that doesn't bother me, er I mean my friend, at all. Dust deposited by natural forces is considered orderly to me. But if someone were to disturb that dust in the least, the whole surface would have to be cleaned.

That's normal, right?

Google: Quentin Crisp on Dust
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 08:57 PM
Sidewalk crack # 47. Don't step on it!! Oh, God, Oh no! Two more mistakes and the cat won't recover. #48, 49, 50, 51... Oh, look at that red bright red truck. And there's another one.... 3, 4, 5...
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 08:59 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
My friend says if you're REALLY OCD, you'd have to refer to it as "CDO" so that the letters are in alphabetical order.

No, no, no! Not if the letters have to be arranged by shape.
"OCD" is closed, open, closed. CDO just can't work in this situation. It can only be one way, It has to be this way!.....14, 15, 16, 17....
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 09:51 PM
I was looking at OCD vs. CDO, and I too agree the balance is all off with the later.

I don't step on cracks in the sidewalk, but for me it has become almost instinctual--still my friends watch my feet in amazement.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: OCD Stories - 07/18/11 10:12 PM
Everyone with personal preferences should be labeled and medicated.
Posted By: fredk Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 12:54 AM
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople

Isn't that what grade school and high school are for?
Posted By: grunt Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 03:04 AM

Fixed it. wink
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 05:11 AM
Originally Posted By: grunt

Fixed it. wink

Nailed it, Dean! If everyone else would take psych meds, they wouldn't aggravate so much that I have to.
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 05:14 AM

Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit this whole f'n mess!
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 11:38 AM
Originally Posted By: fredk

Isn't that what grade school and high school are for?

Originally Posted By: grunt

Fixed it. wink

HEHEHE! smile
Posted By: CatBrat Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 02:07 PM
I see a lot of my OCD's slipping away as I age. I don't think this worked for (the aviator guy, forgot hist name). I step on cracks on purpose now. I don't mind so much if my food touches. I can see a messy spot and not let it bother me so much (though I still have an urge to clean it).

I think being a computer programmer has cured me of that for the most part. Sometimes good enough is good enough. It doesn't have to be perfect.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 02:13 PM
Mine's slowly getting worse. I've just got to figure out how to make as much money as Howard Hughes before I start collecting my own urine.
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 02:26 PM
Mine's slowly getting worse. I've just got to figure out how to make as much money as Howard Hughes before I start collecting my own urine.

Jane Seymour does that, too. But she has another "use" for it as part of her diet.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 03:06 PM
I never could understand why Howard Hughes collected his own urine in bottles. The only thing I can think of is he thought the bathroom must of been too unclean to use. And if that is the case, where are all the piles of the other? Talk about unclean.
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/19/11 04:24 PM
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I never could understand why Howard Hughes collected his own urine in bottles.

I'd worry if you did.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: OCD Stories - 07/20/11 01:26 AM
Originally Posted By: medic8r
Check out this line of Xs with one missing.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

You put the space in the wrong place, but I fixed it-
XXXXXXXXXXXXX X XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Posted By: sonicfox Re: OCD Stories - 07/20/11 08:56 PM
I have a weird eating habit. It doesn't matter what I'm eating, I will pick out what seems to be the "best bite" of the item and eat it last. For example...while eating a chocolate chip cookie, I'll examine it first, and then save the section with the most chocolate chips for last. I've got more, but this is the only one I'm willing to share publicly. grin
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: OCD Stories - 07/20/11 11:55 PM
Mary, you are not alone. I do that too. It's good to finish on a high note.
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/21/11 01:30 AM
Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Mary, you are not alone. I do that too. It's good to finish on a high note.

Really!?! Then it's just the two of you. That's right. No one else in the whole world could ever be that twisted. You people are very sick and need help.

Mary, you should tell people that you take out the best part of EVERY cookie in the bag, count them three times, throw them away, and only eat the parts you don't like, and it's been like that ever since you stopped cutting.
Posted By: Adrian Re: OCD Stories - 07/21/11 02:20 AM
Does anyone else eat the crappy part of the cake out first, then eat the pile of icing left around the outside afterwards?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: OCD Stories - 07/21/11 03:02 AM
Yeah, I sort of do that.
Posted By: sonicfox Re: OCD Stories - 07/21/11 03:17 AM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Really!?! Then it's just the two of you. That's right. No one else in the whole world could ever be that twisted. You people are very sick and need help.

OCDs don't necessarily have to be twisted. One more I can mention is I MUST put on lip balm before going to bed. If I don't have any lip balm available, I will find a substitute like lotion or a dab of oil. It bothers me THAT much to go to bed with dry lips.
Posted By: J. B. Re: OCD Stories - 07/21/11 11:25 AM
when i've got a big craving for sugar and don't want to gain a lot of weight, i eat many dozens of donut holes and then lie down on the bed to let it pass easier.

is that normal or twisted?
my mummy says no.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: OCD Stories - 07/21/11 02:13 PM
Whenever I order mussels at a restaurant, I will always nest the shells inside one another as I eat. When I'm done, there will be a long chain of nested mussels looking something like this:

Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: OCD Stories - 07/21/11 02:17 PM
"Nested Mussels" would be a good name for a band.

So would "Mary's Last Bite".
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/21/11 02:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Adrian
Does anyone else eat the crappy part of the cake out first, then eat the pile of icing left around the outside afterwards?

Of course. Millions of people do. They're called "children."
Posted By: Ajax Re: OCD Stories - 07/22/11 09:29 AM
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Originally Posted By: Adrian

Of course. Millions of people do. They're called "children."

Brought back great memories. As a child, I would eat all the cake, leaving a monstrous mound of chocolate frosting for the last bite. Just before stuffing that last bite into my mouth, my father would point at something out the window and I would turn to see what interested him. I would turn back to find my mound of yummy sugar missing and my father with a full mouth and delighted grin. Naturally, I assumed the worst.

Fortunately, my father was NOT an ogre. After allowing me to suffer for an appropriate length of time, he would produce the missing frosting which had been neatly hidden beneath a napkin while I agonized and raged. For some reason he thought this hysterically humorous. I had other opinions. wink

While I no longer indulge in the practice of saving all the frosting for the last bite, I do enjoy those bites where I can maneuver my fork to get more frosting than cake in any given bite.
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: OCD Stories - 07/22/11 04:33 PM
We once got my mother-in-law a "cake" made entirely of frosting. True story.
Posted By: BobKay Re: OCD Stories - 07/22/11 04:45 PM

And next you're gonna tell us that you can make a souffle entirely of beer.
Posted By: Ajax Re: OCD Stories - 07/23/11 01:20 AM
OH MUTHA!! Get me one of those. YUMMY!
Posted By: Adrian Re: OCD Stories - 07/24/11 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Ajax
OH MUTHA!! Get me one of those. YUMMY!

...and Jack will start a new thread "Stories from the ER" soon after grin
Posted By: Ajax Re: OCD Stories - 07/24/11 05:37 PM
Yes, but I'll be smiling as I write. grin
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: OCD Stories - 07/24/11 11:37 PM
I once, as a kid, took the left over maraschino, and stirred them into the left over chocolate frosting. Ate the whole thing with a spoon.
Posted By: Ajax Re: OCD Stories - 07/25/11 03:31 AM
OOOOOOOOOOO! Sounds wonderful!!!!!!!
© Axiom Message Boards