Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi Eliptigo - 07/31/11 03:27 PM
Has anyone seen these before?
http://www.elliptigo.com/

Looks awesome!
Posted By: cb919 Re: Eliptigo - 07/31/11 07:19 PM
My local bike shop has one of these on display and you can take it out for a demo if you want. I have not tried it yet as I fear I'll just make a fool of myself in the parking lot. blush Still, they do look interesting, not sure how it would be better than a regular bike, but has a neat'o factor to it for sure.

Cheers,
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Eliptigo - 07/31/11 07:32 PM
I've hears te eliptigo's are supposed to be better on your joints then running nd better on your back then biking... Not sure if that is true or not but seems to make sense
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 04:51 AM
You'll look just about as cool on one of these as you would on a Segway, but at least you can call it exercise.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 12:01 PM
Yeah. When I was in college (and riding my bike around campus) I remember a few folks riding around on their segways. Pretty much ridiculous.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 12:34 PM
Welcome to the Fraternal Order of Grumpy Old Men.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 01:30 PM
Except kids make fun of Segway riders too.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 01:44 PM
{old man voice} You kids and your fancy electric contraptions! Back in my day we had to boil water to make our bikes go. {/old man voice}
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 02:20 PM
I remember, back in, oh I don't know, late 80's, early 90's that the inventor of the Segway was on an early morning news show for several days in a row. He said that he had a new invention that he called "it", and he was so excited because this new invention was going to replace the use of cars in cities.
Posted By: ClubNeon Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 03:13 PM
Yep, I remember the "It" announcements also. Funny thing is, a local convenience chain (Sheetz, for those of you lucky enough to have one near) introduced their own line of cola also called It (and their own brand of cigarettes called Jacks).
Posted By: medic8r Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 04:14 PM
The Middle Atlantic region has the weirdest names for convenience stores: Sheetz, Wawa ...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 05:03 PM
There's a restaurant chain in Nebraska called Runza. When I first sawit as we were driving on the highway I told my wife, "I'm feeling pretty constipated. Want to eat at Runza?"
Posted By: medic8r Re: Eliptigo - 08/01/11 05:41 PM
One would hope she Runzaway when you ask questions like that.
Posted By: alan Re: Eliptigo - 08/03/11 02:21 PM
Bizarre, but it's likely really good exercise. Looks kind of clumsy but maybe it'll catch on. Haven't seen one yet on Manhattan streets.

Segway was/is the stupidest product ever developed. No point to it.

Cheers,
Alan
Posted By: CV Re: Eliptigo - 08/03/11 05:41 PM
I still want to see a water-based version of the Segway.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Eliptigo - 08/03/11 05:51 PM
Water-based in what way? Powered by water, or a device that you stand up on that will move you across water?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Eliptigo - 08/03/11 05:59 PM
....first man to cross the Atlantic on his water powered segway, experiencing tsunamis and violent storms on the way....
Posted By: CV Re: Eliptigo - 08/04/11 03:03 AM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Water-based in what way? Powered by water, or a device that you stand up on that will move you across water?

Like that, but looking like a Segway.
Posted By: 1sweetspot Re: Eliptigo - 08/07/11 12:31 AM
that Elliptigo looks like a cool idea, way too expensive.
Posted By: fhw Re: Eliptigo - 08/07/11 01:24 AM
This is truly an example of (pardon the pun) reinventing the wheel. The fact that this thing is being marketed to and by marathon runners would also seem to limit its appeal a John Q. Slob like myself.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Eliptigo - 08/07/11 02:13 AM
sweetspot, The price does seem high but is on par with what one might pay for a nice road bike.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Eliptigo - 08/07/11 05:27 AM
Someone in my neighborhood uses one all the time.

As a cyclist, I say, just get a well-fitted bike...
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Eliptigo - 08/07/11 01:13 PM
Yeah, I'm defiitely not sold but wouldn't mind taking one for a test spin. I think a bike shop in town has a model you can try but I'm not sure.

I don't see myself forking over that kind of cash for one. Maybe they will drop in price?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Eliptigo - 08/10/11 05:01 AM
I can see the benefits of the eliptigo for those people trying to rehab a back injury. My wife is doing this right now and she can't bend enough without pain for a bike nor jog without pain and walking is getting boring.
© Axiom Message Boards