Axiom Home Page
I know that one of these dimmers can be controlled by my Harmony One remote, but what if I have more than one? One for the main ceiling lights, one for the wall sconces, etc? I know that you can set each one to preset "on" and "off" levels of brightness, which is great, but can I run them both from my remote or will there be some sort of conflict? I would think that hitting the "lights up" button on my remote would send a valid signal to both (or multiple) dimmer switches and work just fine, but I want to make sure before I go and order some special color ones online.

Thanks!
Nick, in my experience with the Lutron dimmers and Harmony remotes, I believe it is the same IR codes across Lutron models. I say this because I have changed dimmers a few times to different models and never reprogrammed the Harmony and it just continued to work. Therefore you will have control of all of the lights at once with no practical way that I can think of to separate them assuming they are all within IR visibility of the remote simultaneously. Manual intervention would be required if they get out of sync, though that could cause some cool lighting effects! grin

BTW, any new construction pics?
The Maestro claims to allow you to set (manually at the switch) a "resume" level lighting, meaning that I should be able to "program" each switch to go to a different level of brightness with the touch of one button on the remote, so in reality, I WANT them all to be controlled at once. If there is ever a time that something needs to be fine tuned, I could come up with a lighting subset on the remote (understanding that it is all or none), or just get off my butt and change it, which is what I would have to do if they weren't IR.

So you actually answered my question perfectly. I CAN control multiple dimmer switches at the same time, as long as I am OK with sending the same command to all switches.

As for pics, it hasn't changed much. Keep in mind that I've been finishing the whole basement. So there is a lot to do.

I am hoping for drywall around the end of the month (I am out on a business trip all next week which is slowing me down).

I'll post some once the drywall is up. (I'll take some pictures along the way too.)

Oh, and the home theater will be the last room to be finished. I will be getting to the bulk of the living/storage space first, and then spend a bulk of time doing all of the home theater stuff.
That is an interesting theory - setting the level by individual switch. Let us know if it works - I have been using a Maestro dimmer for several years. I never could get it to work with the 880 though? Seems I remember that even though I tried to make it an individual activity, something screwy would always happen - like the TV or receiver would turn off when all I wanted was to dim the lights. Any advice on that?
Dan is right about the Maestro switches using the same IR codes across the board and my experience with the dimmers and the Harmony 880 are the same as Rob's, the 880 doesn't control them worth a flip.

The individual preset function is also absolutely correct, I have three Maestro switches that control 8 recessed lights in our room (4 front, 2 middle, 2 back) and I can preset the dimmers to brighten or dim each bank of lights individually using one Maestro remote controller. Each dimmer switch comes with a remote so we do not have a shortage of remotes laying around and therefore we leave one in the room next to the TV room using that remote to turn the lights on and/or adjust the lighting from that room prior to entering or upon exiting (very
handy) and the other two remotes are wherever they came to rest from whomever used them last in the TV room ... usually somewhere buried in the couch crevices.

We've had the Maestro IR dimmers for about four or five years and not being able to control them with 880 is no biggie, the supplied remotes are really unobtrusive and work perfectly fine for us.
And yes, the Harmony One does have a control for the Lutron Maestro. I've programmed the + and E buttons to bring my lights full on and off, and the up/down buttons for dimming levels. It's also programmed into the activities where I want the lights dimmed.
Cool. Thanks guys!
Rick,
Good to know that I am not just "inept". I tried for a couple of weeks - one idea/strategy after another and the 880 just wouldn't work properly - so we have the little dedicated remote on hand for the lights - no biggie. I like the Harmony program - so when the 880 goes, I'll probably go with what is the primary Harmony model at the time.
© Axiom Message Boards