Axiom Home Page
Posted By: fredk Steven P. Jobes, RIP - 10/05/11 11:57 PM
Wow...
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Steven P. Jobes, RIP - 10/06/11 12:11 AM
Not much of a surprise. Same thing with Jack Layton.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Steven P. Jobes, RIP - 10/06/11 01:02 AM
Even though it may have been expected, it is truely a sad thing considering the vision he had back in the 70's and what that has become. Thanks Fred for the post.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Steven P. Jobes, RIP - 10/06/11 02:07 AM
A sad day.
Posted By: fredk Re: Steven P. Jobes, RIP - 10/06/11 02:14 AM
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
Even though it may have been expected, it is truely a sad thing considering the vision he had back in the 70's and what that has become. Thanks Fred for the post.

Agreed. Bill Gates is a hard-ass businessman. Jobes was a genius
Posted By: audiosavant Re: Steven P. Jobes, RIP - 10/06/11 02:58 AM
Remember, Steve Jobs came up with the idea for Apple while tripping on LSD. grin

He really changed culture in a big way. Sorta the Beatles of technology...

Posted By: nickbuol Re: Steven P. Jobes, RIP - 10/06/11 05:12 AM
WARNING: I just got done dealing with some jack-arse over at AVS, so I am in a grumpy mood!

I am not a big fan of Apple products, there is no secret there, but I have respect for what they have done over the years and Steve was a major component of that. I got a text from someone at work about 2 minutes after the announcement went out and they were going on and on and on about how it was just a horribly sad day. I guess I'm not that emotional about it. It is "sad" that he was only 56. It is sad that his family will miss him I am sure. And it is definitely a sad day at Apple especially after their iPhone 4s (yawn) announcement this week.

Steve clearly was a visionary in the world of tech gadgets and great marketing. Thank you for that, Mr. Jobs.

Now off to read some more humorous tech "stories" about how the world is going to end, or how Steve will somehow be resurrected from the dead in 3 days... Seriously, some of those people out there are weird, and yes, I read both of those earlier this evening.

Again, remember that there is a reason why I keep my interactions at AVS to a minimum... Pompous pricks like to hang out there. And they put me into a bad mood.

Posted By: fredk Re: Steven P. Jobes, RIP - 10/06/11 06:24 AM
Nick. Your avatar really adds to the ambiance of your post. grin
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 01:21 PM
Rest in peace, Steve. You touched so many lives for the better.

I was wondering when the trolls would come out. Trust AVS to supply them...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 02:08 PM
Just keep them over on AVS and not here.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 02:15 PM
A comment I read elsewhere pretty much captured my emotional state:
Quote:
I'm choked up because, in some way, Steve Jobs represents everyone I know and love who has had or currently has or will one day have terminal cancer and who fights it and strives for excellence in their life right up to the last moment.

Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
You touched so many lives for the better.

Try telling that to the people (or their families) that manufactured the products he made billions off. Apple has used sweatshop labour-including children-for years. His employees have suffered in extremely hostile working condition and endured physical and mental abuse resulting in numerous suicides.

Was he a visionary and technological wiz? Without a doubt! But nobody would praise him if it was their family member that committed suicide or was sexually abused.

It's easy for the privileged to forget about these things after someone's passing, and lionize them.

It's incontrovertible that his death (like most any persons) is tragic for his friends and family, and I'm sorry for their loss. But I'll judge someone by the totality of their character; and the bad trumps the good (like MJ).

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 03:53 PM
You know what, Cam?

No, I won't finish my thought.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 04:39 PM
It never fails.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 04:55 PM
I heard the idiots from the Hillsboro Baptist Church are planning on pissing on his funeral like they do all the military funerals here in the US. To bad it is our military that gives them the rights/freedom to act like imbeciles.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 06:23 PM
Very sad. The early Apple days were the reason I went to school to become an engineer.

I work at a tech company and pretty much everything we do is affected by Apple. All of our customers are trying to compete with them because what they do has been successful, whether you like it or not.

I think Patton Oswalt, the comedian and writer, had one of the better quotes from yesterday. 'RIP Steve Jobs. Closest thing we had to Tony Stark.'
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 06:51 PM
Small point of clarification: It's our Constitution that gives them the right to act like imbeciles, not the military.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 07:10 PM
Yes. Hank Williams exercised the constitution. But people must understand freedom of speech does not mean there cant be no consequences for exercising that freedom.

I don't care if he was on ESPN or not after that statement but people ranting that his firing was unconstitutional is not at all correct.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 07:27 PM
Yeah, put that down as one of my pet peeves: when people think they can say anything without any consequences because of "free speech" in the Constitution. Ignorance.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 07:41 PM
Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Small point of clarification: It's our Constitution that gives them the right to act like imbeciles, not the military.

Or the military that defends us and the constitution...

(just trying to create a circle reference, sorry)
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 07:44 PM
We wouldn't have a constitution if we didn't have a military to protect it.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 10:18 PM
Hey, that's what I said. smile
Posted By: fredk Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 10:23 PM
Too bad Steve didn't invent the military. We would be dropping ibombs all over the place instead of fbombs.

Just trying to bring the thread back on topic...
Posted By: grunt Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/06/11 11:18 PM

Thanks for the clarification Peter! I was going to post but thought I’d let someone else say it.

Quote:

In the Armed Forces EXCEPT the National Guard (Army or Air)

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.

In the National Guard (Army or Air)

I, (NAME), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States and the State of (STATE NAME) against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the Governor of (STATE NAME) and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to law and regulations. So help me God.

It all flows from the constitution or else . . . .
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/07/11 12:38 AM
I stand by my clarification. The military is sworn to protect the Constitution, and the Constitution and Bill of Rights are what grant our freedoms. That's all I was trying to say. I'm not trying to belittle the military.

Sheeshola.
Posted By: BlueJays1 Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/09/11 01:25 PM
Here is some reading material for you Cam.

http://gawker.com/5847344/what-everyone-is-too-polite-to-say-about-steve-jobs
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/09/11 03:57 PM
There's always two sides to a story.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/09/11 05:50 PM
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

Thanks for the article, dude. I read this one on Friday.

I sent one of my caregivers-who's a third year anthropology student-that article, and she replied with the following statement:

“I feel sorry about Jobs' death,” said Jia. “His company made products to make people's lives convenient and pushed the industry forward.”
“But my salary was so low, I couldn't afford any Apple products,” he added. “Phones that cost 5,000-6,000 yuan [less than $1,000] are still a luxury for me.”

Although the guy was a creative genius, I think the above pretty much sums up the nature of his inventions. It's too bad people had to suffer so much, not for our own necessity, but for our conveinience. I mean what's done is done, but perhaps now, in honour of Steve Jobs' own struggles with health if not basic moral obligation, Apple will turn it's attentions to ensuring that none of it's own workers get similar cancer from working in their factories.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/11/11 01:50 PM

Posted By: pmbuko Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/11/11 06:34 PM
The humor in this only works if people who don't believe in heaven can get there. :P
Posted By: CV Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/11/11 06:38 PM
He's only being brought up for the upgrades.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/12/11 12:14 AM
I believe in hell....only because my day was one! sick
Posted By: Murph Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/12/11 01:10 PM
The humor in this only works if people who don't believe in heaven can get there. :P

I think all you need is a concept of heaven for it to be funny. Most people understand that despite their personal beliefs.

Sheesh!!! I said, all politics aside. IMHO arguing over religion is the oldest form of politics.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/12/11 03:51 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
[quote=pmbuko]

Sheesh!!! I said, all politics aside. IMHO arguing over religion is the oldest form of politics.

I was taught that the oldest form of politics was prostitution?

I guess I wasn't paying any attention when they changed it.
Posted By: Murph Re: Steven P. Jobs, RIP - 10/12/11 04:08 PM
I think that old saying was actually, "oldest profession", but hey I can see where you are going with it.
© Axiom Message Boards