Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 01:05 AM
Want to feel old?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 01:12 AM
Your link crashed my Firefox....
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 01:16 AM
Then your firefox sucks.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 02:35 AM
My Firefox worked just fine with it...
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 02:37 AM
Oh, and I guess I'm not quite "your age" because I couldn't relate...
Posted By: Spoiler Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 02:50 AM

I hate you, Ken. C. laugh
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 04:07 AM
The only thing I even recoginized in that conversation was Woodstock and Country Joe and the Fish. "I feel like I'm fixin to die".
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 04:25 AM
I've heard of Woodstock...
Posted By: INANE Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 05:55 AM
I could relate to that comic. But my first love of music was 80's... Duran Duran, Bananarama, Culture Club (I really don't know why), New Order, etc. So I wonder what teenies today think of that stuff!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 11:56 AM
loved it, lol.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 12:59 PM
Agreed. The 80's were my first real music loving years.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 04:37 PM
HA! The first single I bought was Chubby Checker!

No! I'm wrong! It was Joey D. and the Starlighters, Live from the Peppermint Lounge, "The Peppermint Twist." I was 7.

Neonates!
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 04:41 PM
My first single was "16 Candles" by The Crests back in 1958. I was 6 years old. That brings back some memories.
Posted By: RickF Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 04:44 PM
Cat do you actually remember that far back?

I'm thinking I was never 6 or 46, I can't seem to remember much past yesterday.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/05/12 06:47 PM
I have some near birth memories. Also, other misc stuff from very young.

Near birth memories include being in a crib and seeing, or thinking I saw, shadows in the blankets moving.

Before I could walk, my dad with my mother in a depression in a nearby creek in the country where we lived. He was dunking me under water and I was crying my eyes out. He thought it was funny. That installed a fear of water in me that has lasted a lifetime.

I remember some toddler toy that was a clear ball you rolled and the inside piece stayed stationary.

In my dreams, I was chased by beavers. (Just kidding on the last one.)
Posted By: Amie Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/06/12 06:14 PM
Ken, this whole post inspired me to post a poll . . . My First Album Was . . .
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/06/12 06:20 PM
Actually, there is one that is missing. 4-track tape. I picked 8-track tape, but my first album was actually on a 4-track tape. "The James Gang".
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/06/12 06:28 PM
I'm pretty sure it was a cassette, but it really depends on how you define it.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/06/12 06:35 PM
you can read my life story now in the comments section of this new poll by Amie, so i won't tell here. :-)
Posted By: Amie Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/06/12 07:14 PM
Good correction, CatBrat! JB, loved the post!
Posted By: Murph Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/10/12 07:17 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

I was born in the year of Woodstock.

Hmmm, I think I need to call my parents and ask them a few pointed questions.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/10/12 07:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

I was born in the year of Woodstock.

Hmmm, I think I need to call my parents and ask them a few pointed questions.

Murph, Woodstock was in mid-August. Based on your psych post (thanks for taking part), I don't think your curiosity about a dumb ol' rock 'n' roll festival should be one of the questions.
Posted By: Murph Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/11/12 01:08 PM
Yes the math doesn't work out, which I knew, but I like to call them hippies now and then. Even though I know exactly where they were in August of that year and it certainly wasn't in Woodstock.

The tale of my birth and first year is quit a tale or at least it would have been in a small town in 69. Now, it would not even raise an eyebrow. Back then it had all the big ticket items. Protestant girl & a Catholic boy. Pregnancy out of wedlock. Mother is sent away to hide the family's shame. The breakup from the stress of it all. The secret birth. The signing then tearing up of adoption papers. The couple reuniting and getting married....

Most bizarre is My Mom's story of her being left alone the very day of my birth to sign the adoption papers. She signs then cries herself to sleep. She has a dream where the name "Andrew" appears to her on what she describes as "a bright white towel blowing in the wind". She then awakes and tears up the papers and convinces them to change the birth papers where I was originally named Lawrence.

To this day, she thinks I am destined for greatness. So far, not so much. I like to tell her that the only way my name will ever reappear on a white towel is if I start a hotel chain.

In any case, I couldn't have had better parents so it all worked out. Except for my lifelong phobia of white towels. J.P. HELP!!!

Haha, kidding on the phobia of course but it adds a better ending when people (mostly women) are looking at you with that feigned 'I'm touched but I don't know what to say' look on their face after you tell them the story.

Posted By: BobKay Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/11/12 10:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Murph
Yes the math doesn't work out, which I knew, but I like to call them hippies now and then. Even though I know exactly where they were in August of that year and it certainly wasn't in Woodstock.

The tale of my birth and first year is quit a tale or at least it would have been in a small town in 69. Now, it would not even raise an eyebrow. Back then it had all the big ticket items. Protestant girl & a Catholic boy. Pregnancy out of wedlock. Mother is sent away to hide the family's shame. The breakup from the stress of it all. The secret birth. The signing then tearing up of adoption papers. The couple reuniting and getting married....

Most bizarre is My Mom's story of her being left alone the very day of my birth to sign the adoption papers. She signs then cries herself to sleep. She has a dream where the name "Andrew" appears to her on what she describes as "a bright white towel blowing in the wind". She then awakes and tears up the papers and convinces them to change the birth papers where I was originally named Lawrence.

To this day, she thinks I am destined for greatness. So far, not so much. I like to tell her that the only way my name will ever reappear on a white towel is if I start a hotel chain.

In any case, I couldn't have had better parents so it all worked out. Except for my lifelong phobia of white towels. J.P. HELP!!!

Haha, kidding on the phobia of course but it adds a better ending when people (mostly women) are looking at you with that feigned 'I'm touched but I don't know what to say' look on their face after you tell them the story.

That is scary close to my story, Andrew. Except in was 1953 (far worse stigma era), the white towel in my birth mother's dream said, "Run, bitch, run," and my original first name was Buzzkill.

And you can have your name on a bright white towel, if you can learn to carefully position the "Andrew" stencil on your ass.
Posted By: Murph Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/12/12 01:05 PM
I really did laugh out loud reading that.

I can't risk your towel method though, I have two other close friends named Andrew and the resulting locker room talk would be scandalous, although admittedly very funny.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Hey! All you people who are my age! - 01/12/12 02:23 PM
Then order a "Murph" stencil.
© Axiom Message Boards