Axiom Home Page
Posted By: terzaghi Replacement Home Windows? - 02/12/12 11:45 PM
We are thinking about replacing a few windows in our house this year. We are Considering Pella windows, and are thinking either vinyl or fiberglass frames.

Anyone have good experience with Pella windows or know anything about them?

Any other recommended manufacturers? Any comments on vinyl vs. fiberglass?

Thanks!
Posted By: Adrian Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 12:03 AM
My father had Pella windows installed on his previous house, they are an excellent quality window. I had Rehau (German company) windows installed on my home several years ago(recently sold house), they are also an excellent product, more well-known in Europe than over here I understand.

Posted By: cb919 Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 01:42 AM
I installed Pella vinyl windows in a previous house. I thought they were very good quality. Unfortunately I moved 3 years later so never got to evaluate them in the long run. Not sure if they're the same north of the border or not, but for 3 years I had no issues whatsoever.
Posted By: Joe_in_SC Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 03:06 AM
I can't speak to the vinyl vs. fiberglass issue, but Marvin, Milgard and Anderson are some other big names in the replacement window business. Regardless of the material or manufacturer, the quality of the installation is probably the most important factor. Make sure to use someone who does it professionally and check their references!
Posted By: INANE Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 05:04 AM
My parents rebuilt their sun room with all Pella (triple pane) windows. They do an amazing job in the August heat and January cold but they were hella expensive.
Posted By: RickF Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 08:19 AM
I installed Pella vinyl frame high impact glass windows for our TV room going on 7 years and they are holding up very well so far, they look nice, function like new and haven't discolored or faded. I can't compare them to the Pella fiberglass frame windows but if I were to replace the windows throughout the rest of the house I'll install the vinyl windows.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 12:55 PM
Thanks for the input. The fiberglass costs 25% more, but supposedly is stronger and doesn't have the problems of shrinking and expanding like some vinyl frames can have due to temperature change. However, they both have the same warranty...
Posted By: Murph Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 02:15 PM
I never used Pella due to budget limitations but coming from a place that often has + - 30 degree Celsius swings in temperate and often extremely quickly, I have never experienced, nor seen evidence of vinyl windows having shrinking issues. In fact, that is the first time I ever heard anyone mention it.

Not saying it isn't a real phenomenon, just that I have never seen it as an issue.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 02:28 PM
Pella windows are made right here in the great state of Iowa.

I've never had them, but know a couple of people who either built their house or replaced their windows (hail storm) and used Pella windows. The last I heard, they really liked them. Pella windows are also the windows used on Extreme Home Makeover. Granted, they are probably donated for advertising purposes, but I don't think that they use any poor quality products in those homes.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 02:57 PM
I replaced 2 of my windows last summer, thinking I was getting good thermal protection. I haven't used a thermometer yet, but just placing the back of my hand on an old window, then moving to a new window and doing the same, it fells like the new triple pane windows let through more heat/coldness. Not buying those again. I went cheap with a local company thinking I was saving a few bucks.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 03:08 PM
Pella Windows is from Pella, Iowa, about an hour from where I live...they are one of the leading/best window mfg's in the country, going back as long as I can remember. Actually, I used to work for a company that sold them all their cutting tools and machinery to build their windows. You can't go wrong with Pella.
Posted By: terzaghi Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 04:27 PM
Thank, now just need to decide between vinyl or fiberlgass.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 09:44 PM
I'm honesty quite surprised to see all the positive comments about Pella. I've done extensive research on windows (reading efficiency ratings and through many forums) and as a result, I was turned away from Pella.

Not only are fiberglass windows stronger, they are also more efficient than vinyl because the material is less conductive. Some high end window companies like Fibertec fill the fiberglass window frame cavity with foam for ultimate efficiency. Their windows definitely aren't cheap though.

Dave, I would strongly suggest you spend some time on the U.S. Energy Star website. You just plug your location information in and it will give you a detailed list of certified windows for your climate. I know for my climate Pella isn't ranked in the top for efficiency (ER rating).

It's also good to be an educated buyer, and this very short video explains what the ratings mean, and what U factor and/or SHC you want based on the environment.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 10:08 PM
Ummm, Iowa has some of the coldest winters around as we get the Canadian clippers that come down. Most houses are built with Pella in the heartland.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 10:34 PM
As an addendum to that video, here's an explication of what the ratings mean -

U-Factor - Measures how well a window keeps heat inside. The lower the U-Factor, the better a window resist heat transfer.

Energy Rating (ER) - The ER is the bottom line for energy-conscious consumers as it is the indicator of the window's thermal performance during the heating season. The ER is not a temperature rating. It is a scale rating the comparative performance of windows based on three factors: 1) solar heat gains; 2) heat loss through frames, spacers and glass; 3) air leakage heat losses, regardles ofhow or with what materials it was built. The ER can be used as an idicator of the effect the windows will have on your heating bill.

R-value: A measure of the resistance to radiant heat (temperature) loss. A higher R-value glass has a greater resistance to radiant heat loss.

Also, it's important to note I've read that a triple pane window can actually be excessive (money wasted). It all depends on the exposure the window gets. Example - my house gets full sun at the front, back and left side, but the right side of the house doesn't get any. My understanding is there would be little to no benefit if I installed triple pane glass as opposed to double pane glass on the right side of my house. Many people install triple pane windows in their entire house but don't know that it's actually of no benefit. Installers don't say this for obvious reasons.

I'll try to find you some info regarding this as it was a while ago I read all this. Memory recall can be incorrect or missing links smile. I don't want to give you erroneous information.
Posted By: Ya_basta Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 02/13/12 10:58 PM
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
Ummm, Iowa has some of the coldest winters around as we get the Canadian clippers that come down. Most houses are built with Pella in the heartland.

Randy, I wasn't criticizing your suggestion of Pella, nor criticizing Pella as a manufacturer. I was just stating that there are better rated windows from my experience, and that I've read unfavorable comments online by contractors etc. on building forums.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Replacement Home Windows? - 08/05/13 11:24 AM
Aaaaand this isn't astroturf how?
© Axiom Message Boards